6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sound controls & reverse sensors not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016 | 03:04 PM

Sound controls & reverse sensors not working

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Maxima with reverse sensors etc and some controls are not working.

Only the down volume and radio channel controls work, not the up. The phone button doesn't, neither does the horn when pressed. The rear sensors also are not working and the on/off button shows permanently "off".

I had a mechanic some out and look and he said I need to replace the clock spring (or spiral spring I think they call it). He said he tested the continuity in the switches on the steering wheel and they work fine.

Now, I have the part which includes the cable and the while wiper and turn signal stalks. I successfully removed the airbag but got stuck on the center nut for the steering wheel.

A search showed that it requires a 19mm. An 18mm is definitely too small but the 19mm seemed a bit loose fitting. 10 minutes with the wrench didn't budge it so I thought I'd try the drill for grins but that just spun the 19mm, thankfully without ruining the bolt.

I guess the next thing to try would be an impact wrench so my questions is.
1) Am I really replacing the right part? It seems logical if the connections from the steering wheel to the connector have continuity.
2) Is 19mm the correct size to use on the bolt?
3) Should I be using an impact at all on this bolt?
4) There also appears to be two silver colored bolts which requires a star shaped tool. I assume this is some sort of torq. The FSM "PS" section doesn't mention those bolts, so do I actually need to remove them?

TIA.
Old 07-04-2016 | 05:18 PM

For anyone who may come up against the same problem in the future...

1) Am I really replacing the right part? It seems logical if the connections from the steering wheel to the connector have continuity.

Yes, I was replacing the right part. Except for the reverse sensors, everything is working, volume control, tuner, and especially the horn, you have no idea how many idiots have got away with stupid stuff and I've been stifled!

2) Is 19mm the correct size to use on the bolt?
Yes, a 19mm is good, make sure you have a deep impact. Less than $5 for a single 19mm from Home Depot if you don't have one handy.

3) Should I be using an impact at all on this bolt?
While people have said no, the best $100 I spent today was on an impact driver. It has this bolt off in about 5 seconds. I must have spent over half an hour with various other ratchets and wrenches. Again, use a deep impact socket, don't try and use a regular socket.

4) There also appears to be two silver colored bolts which requires a star shaped tool. I assume this is some sort of torq. The FSM "PS" section doesn't mention those bolts, so do I actually need to remove them?
No, those silver bolts don't get removed, but you will need a steering wheel puller, probably.

However this didn't fix my reverse sensors to the quest continues...