6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Mobil 1 5W30 or Castrol GTX 5W30?
Mobil 1
100.00%
Castrol GTX
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

2005 SE - Mobil 1 5W30 Being Burned Like Crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:36 PM

Mobil 1 5W30 Being Burned Like Crazy?

2005 Maxima SE. 173000 KMS (107497 Miles) I am going through 1 small bottle which is what about a Quart or basically a Litre if you will every month. My average speeds are around 120-140kph (80-95mph) on the highway give or take. I have no oil leaks that are visible mechanics have checked and no spotting under the car. I use a great oil filter, Purolator PureOne. I have new NGK platinum plugs. New throttle body. New PCV Valve. Been burning it all summer spring and now fall too apparently. ITS ****ING EXPENSIVE. $15 for one small bottle. $60 for the large 4.4L bottle. Which is what the car takes for a change just about (4.25L to be exact I believe)

Is this what you guys are burning on yours?

I've owned 3 4th gen maximas running Castrol GTX and I never had problems. I never had to top up my oil once between changes. Now I'm topping it up every 2 weeks on my new max.

I ran Redline complete fuel system cleaner back in the spring. It smoothed the car out a bit. But eh... I can't think of much else to do.

Should I just switch back to Castrol GTX? Its literally 1/3 the cost of Mobil 1. What performance am I really getting here if I have to constantly deal with this.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:30 AM

I have an 04 maxima which I add 4.25 quarts when changing the oil. I also have some type of leak or I'm burning oil cause I get a low oil level reading after driving 1,500 miles or so.

I have been using castrol synthetic or Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil but i have no preference.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:35 AM

High mileage car with that much oil burning, you're getting no benefit of synthetic anymore. Just go back to a blend, or something cheaper. As to what is causing the burning, bad piston ring or some kind of gap is letting oil out in the chamber most likely. Do you see smoke when you stomp on it, or do you have a lot of soot buildup on the back of the car?

If it is internal problems the only fix is a rebuild or replace the motor. Drive it into the ground is what I would do. 2005 is worth maybe $2000 bluebook tradin now.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:23 AM

Some guys in another forum mentioned that it could be clogging precats. Which reminded me... mechanic told me that there are some drill holes in the cats, appearing that someone had checked to see if they were clogged previously. Guessing they weren't since nothing was replaced.

I have an exhaust leak where the downstream passenger side o2 connects to the pipe, thats just below the precat. I have a o2 sensor code because of it. There is also a small leak at the front of the system where it comes down from up top. The rest of the system seems good. Could this loss in pressure throw off the computer and other items potentially causing this? I've been to 2 dealerships before and 3 local shops, they all said no that isn't the cause they said these cars just like to burn oil.

I plan on replacing the entire exhaust system maybe excluding the mufflers since they don't need to be replaced - in the spring. I've been driving with the minor leak for months. At 1500 RPM the car vibrates a hell of a lot because of it but everyone said its ok to drive like that since I don't have the money right now to replace the exhaust system with all 3 cats. Hm.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:24 AM

No smoke at all or soot buildup. Everything appears clean!

ps. eh! I paid 5000 for this car just in Sept. =( Crazy that I paid 5000 for a 1995 SE just in 2007. I've spent 2500 in repairs already and haven't even had it for a year haha.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:24 AM

Maybe get a compression test done. Maybe theres bad valve seals or something causing you to burn oil. I don't think your exhaust leak is going to cause your car to vibrate unless your refering to the exhaust vibrating. Otherwise it may be a wheel balancing issue. If you say it didn't burn oil with the castrol maybe try switching back and see what happens?
Old 11-10-2016, 01:44 PM

Try Shell Rotella T6 5W40.