6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Oil grease smell inside cabin

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oil grease smell inside cabin

Hi I have an 08 maxima and couple days ago I started smelling a burning grease or oil smell inside my car. I didn't think much of it because it was very faint. Today when I was driving home I smelled it pretty strong. Especially when I stopped in my driveway. I popped my hood and it didn't smell like that in there and the oil level is still full. Can anyone help me to find this issue?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 PM

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ough-vent.html
Old 01-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Most likely oil. The valve covers starting leaking a little of it, it drips down onto the exhaust manifold(s), gets burnt, the resulting fumes/smoke get drawn into the heating/ventilation system and you smell traces of it inside the car. When the car is at operating temp, open the hood, stand on the passenger side of the engine compartment and see if you can detect the same smell from the front and back of the engine.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:04 AM

leaking valve cover is likely. Might also be a bad PCV valve, I recall it was a PITA to get to, had to remove a few cowl pieces. cheap fix worth at least trying.

If it's valve covers, attempt to tighten them gently (don't want to warp the covers) but if it's a bad seal they have to come off and replace the seal.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Most likely oil. The valve covers starting leaking a little of it, it drips down onto the exhaust manifold(s), gets burnt, the resulting fumes/smoke get drawn into the heating/ventilation system and you smell traces of it inside the car. When the car is at operating temp, open the hood, stand on the passenger side of the engine compartment and see if you can detect the same smell from the front and back of the engine.
Very true. I did my front Valve cover but I am waiting till I have to do the plugs to do the rear one.