6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How to Remove Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 AM

How to Remove Instrument Panel

I need to remove my instrument panel to see if I can fix my gas gauge.

I've searched but can't find any threads on how to remove the instrument panel. If someone can direct me to that info, I'd appreciate it.

My gas gauge needle has spun all the way around clockwise until it came to rest on the back side of the stop! It's stuck there now. Not sure if that's fixable, but perhaps I can swap in a replacement gas gauge if I get the panel removed?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 05SmokeSE
I need to remove my instrument panel to see if I can fix my gas gauge.

I've searched but can't find any threads on how to remove the instrument panel. If someone can direct me to that info, I'd appreciate it.

My gas gauge needle has spun all the way around clockwise until it came to rest on the back side of the stop! It's stuck there now. Not sure if that's fixable, but perhaps I can swap in a replacement gas gauge if I get the panel removed?

Thanks for any help.
I haven't done this in years.... But I think the top covers on the speedo pop off, start with the center then the outter two. You could try to fix it or get an 07-08 cluster.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:27 AM

Just did a quick search, look in the DIY there is a link to remove the cluster....
Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by smittybizzle
I haven't done this in years.... But I think the top covers on the speedo pop off, start with the center then the outter two. You could try to fix it or get an 07-08 cluster.
Thanks for the reply!

Is there an advantage to replacing my 05 instrument cluster with an 07-08? Or are those years just easier to find? Use eBay I guess for finding one?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Just did a quick search, look in the DIY there is a link to remove the cluster....

OK, I guess I'm just not with it today, but I can't find the DIY section.

I looked in the Maintenance, Tech & Care - Garage & Workshop forum, but can't find it in there.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:33 PM

​​​​​​​ And then you will see threads in blue, the last one is diy, its rich above your post
Old 02-28-2017, 02:45 PM

​​​​​​​ And then you will see threads in blue, the last one is diy, its rich above your post
Ahhh... found it! I was looking for "DIY" and the thread starts with "Useful Information", so I missed it.

I wonder if it's possible to swap out just the fuel level gauge? That's the only thing broken on mine.

Thanks!