6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Transmission issues

I have a 2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE... I was driving it the other day on the highway and it stopped picking up speed. I had the gas to the floor and the most it went was 20mph. Thn the service engine soon light came on. The RPM would only go btwn 1.5 and 2. I was finally able to get off the exit and it got to a point to where it would barely move at all. Turned the car off and back on and it started moving again but thn stopped again. Got it towed and checked the code and it came back P0746. Flushed the transmission with abt 12 qts of oil and started driving it again and the issue came right back. At one point when sitting idle in park and hitting the gas, it barely even reved up. It was also a point when I moved the car into drive and it would only move backwards. It seems like when i turn the var off, it resets something and it starts back working but only for a short period of time. WHAT COULD THIS BE? WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO FIX THIS? I NEED MY CAR BACK. PLEASE HELP
Old 03-10-2017, 12:12 AM

Revolution speed sensor
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 AM

This might help, as for the code I'm not sure, but I had a problem like this and this part fixed it,
Old 03-10-2017, 04:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bronxsleepermax187
this might help, as for the code i'm not sure, but i had a problem like this and this part fixed it,

thank you so much. Going to try it today!!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 AM

This is the information for your code:
https://www.autocodes.com/p0746_nissan.html

Possible causes

•Low transmission fluid level
•Dirty transmission fluid
•Faulty line pressure solenoid valve
•Line pressure solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
•Line pressure solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection

What does this mean?

Tech notes

When a transmission solenoid is malfunctioned, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is dirty, it's recommended to change the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a mechanical transmission failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

What does this mean?

When is the code detected?

The gear required by the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not match the actual gear when driving

Possible symptoms

•Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
•Transmission shift shock

P0746 NISSAN Description

The Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid Valve an electronic pressure regulator that controls transmission line pressure based on current flow through its coil windings. As current flow is increased, the magnetic field produced by the coil moves the solenoid’s plunger further away from the exhaust port. Opening the exhaust port decreases the output fluid pressure regulated by the PC solenoid valve, which ultimately decreases line pressure. The line pressure solenoid valve regulates the oil pump discharge pressure to suit the driving condition in response to a signal sent from the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by edjose17
This is the information for your code:
https://www.autocodes.com/p0746_nissan.html

Possible causes

•Low transmission fluid level
•Dirty transmission fluid
•Faulty line pressure solenoid valve
•Line pressure solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
•Line pressure solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection

What does this mean?

Tech notes

When a transmission solenoid is malfunctioned, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is dirty, it's recommended to change the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a mechanical transmission failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

What does this mean?

When is the code detected?

The gear required by the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not match the actual gear when driving

Possible symptoms

•Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
•Transmission shift shock

P0746 NISSAN Description

The Pressure Control (PC) Solenoid Valve an electronic pressure regulator that controls transmission line pressure based on current flow through its coil windings. As current flow is increased, the magnetic field produced by the coil moves the solenoid’s plunger further away from the exhaust port. Opening the exhaust port decreases the output fluid pressure regulated by the PC solenoid valve, which ultimately decreases line pressure. The line pressure solenoid valve regulates the oil pump discharge pressure to suit the driving condition in response to a signal sent from the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Thank you. Being that I flushed the transmission completely with new fluid, should I have the solenoid replaced??
Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Revolution speed sensor
where is this part located on the car???
Old 03-11-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by A. Nes
Being that I flushed the transmission completely with new fluid, should I have the solenoid replaced??
Yes, the solenoid is your first port of call. It's located in the valve body. Your transmission model is RE0F09B. You may proceed by searching online for the solenoid that fits your model.

Last edited by Costee; 03-11-2017 at 02:10 PM.