6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

06 Maxima Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 Maxima Transmission Issues

Hey guys, new here and never posted on any forums before but I am stumped on this one. We recently bought a 2006 Maxima SL V6 with 120k miles. Had to put a new battery in it and started driving it down the road. The transmission stopped pulling after about 3 miles down the road. I checked the fluid and it has plenty in it but is not clear or pink colored. Its light gray and smells normal. I checked all the computer codes and got P0744 & P1564 in the history codes. I can start the car, it will pull in forward and reverse for a few minutes then gives out. Turn it off and let it sit a minute and it will do the same thing over again. I have never owned a nissan before and have no idea where to start. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Welcome to the Org. Let's take the second error code first. It refers to the ASCD (Cruise control) steering switch. That's one of the controls on your steering wheel. I guess you can easily check that if it's malfunctioned. The first code is symptomatic of the inherent problem of the 5-speed 6th Gen. Your best bet is probably to change the valve body of the transmission. To really get acquainted with this issue see: https://maxima.org/forums/6th-genera...ssion-fix.html