6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Power loss and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:18 AM

Power loss and gas mileage

Hey guys it's been a while. Got some codes checked at auto zone recently and would like some advice on where to start.. I figured the symptomz I'm getting are bad knock sensor so I'm going to start there.. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 AM

Did it throw all those codes in the picture???
How much power loss? How bad is gas mileage? Do you get knock?
Before you throw away tons of money for replacing of the head gaskets, check the obvious things: spark plugs, clogged EGR tube, plugged injectors, vacuum leaks.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Yes it did. I had headers installed a few years back and car had tons of power. Then i parked it for over a year and rarely drove it at all. Once i started driving it again after all that time i noticed all the top end (and some low end) power was gone.. Like no pull to redline. Gas mileage gauge use to read 23.4, now its reading 17.7. I know these aren't accurate but clearly something changed. Plugs were changed when the headers were installed. Haven't found any leaks but im not sure how to efficiently do so. I'll see where the egr balance is located and look at it. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 AM

OMG! Are you still on the same tank of gas that was there all this time, by any chance? Did you do an oil change before driving again? I would strongly recommend draining old gas if it's still there, and changing oil to Valvoline High Mileage or similar, then driving for a while to see if things improve.

Also, run a can of Seafoam through a tank of gas before you do an oil change! It will dissolve possible gunk deposited while the car sat parked.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Yes the oil was changed right after and I've been running 93 octane since.. I've been driving it a while since it was parked. I've considered the seafoam and I'm gonna pick up some cleaner for the MAf Sensor and some stuff to clean the egr if it's not to hard to remove...
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM

In the VQ engine one of the factors in random misfires can be a plugged EGR tube. It's not that difficult to clean, but the two lower nuts on the exhaust manifold are usually pretty rusted and may need very careful application of heat or extractors. This video shows how badly plugged the tube can be and how to clean:
Part of the problem could be you running 93 octane. Is your timing advanced? You might want to try returning the timing back and running regular for some time. I don't know if VQ can adjust timing, never tried that. My Honda engine does not have timing adjustment at all, so not sure. I did try advancing timing for running premium when I had a Maxima GXE with VG30 and did not notice any power gains or mileage, so never looked into that again.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 PM

Thanks, yes my timing was advanced years back buy a Nissan technician...