6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

06 maxima starts and idles fine but no power after 3000rpm or 30mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

06 maxima starts and idles fine but no power after 3000rpm or 30mph

Hey guys im new on here but have spent a couple hours looking for the answer to my problem with no avail... if someone could help me out i would really apreciate it. Alittle background. Bought the car yesterday, guy said he had a new transmission installed couple months ago along with 3 new cats and now they say the 4th cat went out and blew the motor. Ive never taken a car to a mechanic and always done my own work. So i dont trust what the dealership told him. 06 maxima 3.5 litre. Car starts up fine. Idles fine. Drives fine up to about 30mph then feels like it hits a wall. Tranny shifts fine up to that point so i really dont think its a tranny issue. Also if i rev in park up to about 5k rpms i here a rattling that sounds like from inside the motor. Any help would be much apreciated
Old 06-15-2017, 10:14 PM

I cant provide much help, but what is the 4th cat? To my understanding there is 2 pre cats and a y pipe.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes your right. I just got under it tonight when i got home. If i rev it up its not spitting any smoke or anything out of the tailpipe. Will be able to spend some time trying to figure it out tomorow and over the weekend. Hopefully without jist throwing money at it.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 AM

Need to pull codes first. Rattle may be nothing to worry about, may be a big deal like failed chain tensioners and slapping chain which might have skipped a tooth. Watch youtube videos for chain tensioner diagnostics/repair.
Change oil and filter for high-mileage oil, check air filter, replace if old. Check spark plugs for correct gap. Does it misfire at all? Swap coils/plugs if it does, see which cylinder.
Do a compression check if you can.
Let other members correct me if I am wrong, but it could also be dirty MAF (not sure if this gen has MAF).
Old 06-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Need to pull codes first. Rattle may be nothing to worry about, may be a big deal like failed chain tensioners and slapping chain which might have skipped a tooth. Watch youtube videos for chain tensioner diagnostics/repair.
Change oil and filter for high-mileage oil, check air filter, replace if old. Check spark plugs for correct gap. Does it misfire at all? Swap coils/plugs if it does, see which cylinder.
Do a compression check if you can.
Let other members correct me if I am wrong, but it could also be dirty MAF (not sure if this gen has MAF).
There are no codes. If there was that would at least point me in the right direction. Have tried to drive it around a bit and still no codes popping up. I would think with a newer vehicle like this some type of code would throw.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Does it run ok when cold, then worse when warming up? Does it have no power when pushing on the gas pedal when entering freeway? Mine did the same thing, hollowed out the 3 cats, works great now.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes when its cold it does run a little better. Will pull out the cats and take it on a drive and let ya know how it goes. Thank you guys for the info! Hopefully ill have some.time to get it done here soon