6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

No Start issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No Start issue

i just started reading the forums, seems like a great resource for information. i have been searching for a week or two, and i still cant find what im looking for, so i figured i would post.

I bought an 06 maxima 3.5, beautiful car, well taken care of. I test drive, everything is great. I get it home, it sits for two days while awaiting registration, i go out, and the car cranks and wont start, does the same thing three or four times, then starts, and runs great. The crank is a strong, solid crank. I use the car all day, and have this problem three or four times throughout the day. generally, when i start it right after it was running, it would be fine. If i walk away from the car and come back later, it will sometimes do the same crank issue.
While at the auto parts store that day, after reading some here, the vehicle wont start, but cranks...i unplug the MAF, like i read on this site somewhere, car fires right up. Plug it back in, no fire. so i buy a MAF, toss it in. Problem not fixed.

About two days later, start the car up, sounds like belt squeal has started, this was noticed the days prior while driving it...its an alternator bearing. i get back from the test drive...turn the car off, go to start again. dead battery. i jump it, see the battery is 11.4v. yesterday i replaced the alternator, and slow charged the battery, battery is now being charged properly by the alternator, and the sound is gone.

I figured this would give me a good starting place for figuring this problem out. I tested the CPS, the resistance values are in spec with the manual. I hear the fuel pump kick on for a second when i start the car, and the half *** tester from autozone didnt have the right fittings so i dont have a firm number for pressure.

yesterday, i noticed that when i have the issue of the crank/no start, i see the security light is off when i start to crank the car, it comes on a second after im cranking and it stays solid. it does this each time the car will not start. when i turn the key and it starts, i have no light. I ran through the CEL check process, found a 1610 code, i believe, which is an immobilizer issue? however the CEL does not illuminate (and i know the bulb works). The key is skinny, and does not appear to be original.

from what i have been reading, it seems as though these immobilizer issues seem to never let you start the car, mine will intermittently start, so im wondering what might be triggering this, and looking to see if anyone else had a similar situation.

Thannks in advance, sorry for the long post, but the more info the better...