6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Charging issue

my 2004 Nissan Maxima won't hold a charge it will
stsrt with a jump then a few hours or minutes later car dies while driving. A/c would not turn off and battery and brake light come on I have a new battery had it grounded and car worked for two days then the same problem not charging please help.

Last edited by Snelson; 08-20-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 AM

I just copied what I wrote on another topic.

All you need is a multimeter and a test light.

1- charge your battery then check its voltage.
2- start the car and check the voltage at the battery. It should be about 13.5-14.5V depending on how many accessories are turned on. If you have the battery voltage, it could still be a lot of things ! Bad alternator, bad ground, open wire, power feed short to ground.

Find the service manual of your 2007 (google) to see the schematic of the charging system. The alternator is called "generator" by Nissan.

The alternator have 2 power feeds (2 constant) 1 for the warning lamp (through the ignition) and 1 ground.
Check the voltage of the 2 power feeds. It's best to check that when cranking the car (under load). It's important to check directly on the alternator posts, not the connectors.
Check also the ground. It's best to test that one with a test light (the other side connected to battery positive) because 0V could be a ground or an open.
[edit] if you don't have a test light, you can check with an ohmmeter. One side to the alternator ground, the other side to the battery negative or other good ground. You should get about 0 Ohms.

If you do these tests, come back with the results.
If you just want to check the fuses, you can check the fuse a, 26 and 14. If one of them is blown, it's pretty sure you have a short somewhere.

Last edited by Doc Plus; 08-20-2017 at 09:33 AM.