6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 max. Stuck in failsafe mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 max. Stuck in failsafe mode

I was getting a code for the cam sensor bank 1 (P0340) so i changed it and its still stuck in failsafe mode. I changed the part about 3 times now guys and i even went as far as changing the crankshaft position sensor and that did nothing. Guys please help..
Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Change the other side
Old 10-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

??

Where are they located
Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a P0340 error showing up on my 2005 Nissan Maxima. This corresponds to a bad cam shaft sensor (rear of the engine). There are two of them; so if you replace the wrong one, that won't solve your problem. I had quite an adventure fixing the P0340 for my Maxima. I had bought a replacement camshaft sensor from OReillys made by some company "Import Direct" (part number 0204) that had a lifetime warranty. As soon as I replaced my old cam shaft position sensor with the new one, the car started throwing up a P0011. I good some very good advice from DennisMlk and started suspecting the new sensor. It was probably the case that the actual sensing element inside the sensor is not correctly aligned for a Maxima which causes a phase advance or delay.
In any case, I got the sensor replaced free of cost by another "Import Direct" sensor thinking the new spare was probably bad but kept getting the same error.
So took my car to Autozone and bought a sensor from them which worked (set me back by some $74). I have driven some 14 miles on the new sensor and don't see a P0011. The P0340 is also history.

So long story short, "Import Direct" cam shaft sensor (part number 0204) from OReillys does not seem to be compatible with a 2005 Maxima even though OReilly's website claims it to be.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Let me know if you can't locate the rear cam shaft sensor for your car. I can post pictures from my 2005 Maxima.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply.

So as far as the location of the cam position sensors I have that down packed I honestly don't know what the next move might be. A friend of mine suggested that I purchase a sensor from the dealer because they are the most compatible with the vehicle... I have purchased sensors from AutoZone, two from AutoZone at that and they have done me no justice I've ordered a sensor from offline and it's done me zero Justice and lastly I've purchase a sensor at Arch Auto Parts because a mechanic told me that Arch sells the correct part with the correct part number.. I have been facing this problem for about 2 and 1/2 weeks now.. the only codes that come up are P0340 P0300 p0011... now I know what those codes mean the first being the cam position sensor bank 1 the second being random misfires and the third being intake timing valve solenoid Bank One.. I've even gone to the extent of changing the bank 2 sensor for the camshaft and the crankshaft sensor under the car as well and still no luck.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was wondering .

I was wondering what the guy who replied before you entailed when he said replaced both sides I'm guessing he meant there were cam position sensors on both sides of the motor and not the front and rear which are the original locations for the cam position sensors these vehicles.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, assuming that the sensor you bought from Autozone is not fully compatible with your Maxima, that should still get rid of the P0340. Maybe you will get a new error but the P0340 should be history. I can think of three possibilities:

1. Either you have a wiring problem. Is the wire is broken, it won't matter how many times you replace the sensor. I suggest you check if the wiring is all in order and that there's no oil in the connector to the sensor. Also, you should be able to hear a firm click sound as you seat the new sensor in the connector. If you don't, the sensor is not getting connected into the circuit.

2. Have you given time for the car to sense that the cam shaft sensor is functional ? You can disconnect the battery for 30 mins or use a ELM370 (or equivalent) probe to clear the fault codes and then check if they get set again.

3. You can also check if the connector terminals have a battery voltage showing up (which is an indication that the wires aren't broken). I think you should get a 12V reading between the 1st and 3rd terminal. You can remove the sensor, turn on the car battery (without having to start the car) and check for the voltage.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Testing

Okay well that's one thing that I forgot to mention I did think it was a wiring issue and I did change the wiring harness I connected a new one period.. and yes I believe I gave the sensors enough time to register with the car ECU I've cleared the codes with my OBD2 scanner and at this point I don't know, I'm going to try out the suggestions that you have gave me and see where that gets me