6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Oil leak upper pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 06:52 PM

Oil leak upper pan

Hello I’m new,but I have a 2007 maxima and I have a oil leak coming from upper pan,only problem I’m have is that da upper pan won’t drop everything is pull down r out but I’m struggling pulling that upper oil pan down
Old 06-11-2020, 01:33 AM

There are two longer bolts at the front of the engine that need to be removed that are inside the upper oil pan and accessible only by removing the lower oil pan. You really need a factory service manual to be doing this kind of work,
Old 06-11-2020, 08:27 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by User1
There are two longer bolts at the front of the engine that need to be removed that are inside the upper oil pan and accessible only by removing the lower oil pan. You really need a factory service manual to be doing this kind of work,
I got it down but my oil leak is seeping right above that like right behind the alternator and I can’t get to it,I’m just gonna try and seal that area and see what that do r any suggestions
Old 06-11-2020, 12:11 PM

Could the leak be coming from the valve cover above the alternator? I would do my best to check the area. If it was the valve cover, the alternator would be covered in oil. Let me know what you find. I'll do my best to help. Post some pictures of where you're at.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:07 PM

Oil leak

Could the leak be coming from the valve cover above the alternator? I would do my best to check the area. If it was the valve cover, the alternator would be covered in oil. Let me know what you find. I'll do my best to help. Post some pictures of where you're at.
No it’s not covered in oil, but I say it only leak while car is running after I cut it off you can see a few drops but like 5 mins u don’t see it dripping and it’s not a whole lotta oil it’s seeping out from the top somewhere ion kno if it’s right above upper oil pan r coming from valve cover but right above the upper pan it’s was like fresh oil
Old 06-11-2020, 01:09 PM

Are the drips coming from above where the upper oil pan mates to the block on bank 2 side? Post pictures if you can.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:44 PM

Are the drips coming from above where the upper oil pan mates to the block on bank 2 side? Post pictures if you can.

Where I kinda seal it off but I think it’s coming from up there and running down

Last edited by Jamaal Rogers; 06-11-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:27 PM

Oil leak

When everything is put together behind the ac compressor is where I seen oil running down the back wall,so I took everything loose and discovered fresh oil in that area so I really can’t get to it so I just seal around that area
Old 06-11-2020, 02:41 PM

I think your leak is coming from the valve cover. Can you post a pic from above looking down?
Old 06-11-2020, 03:07 PM

I think your leak is coming from the valve cover. Can you post a pic from above looking down?

Old 06-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Looks ok up top. Maybe your leak is coming from the front corner where the upper pan mates to the block. Replace the half-moon seal and do a good job buttoning everything up. Get the FSM.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:18 PM

Oil leak

It’s clean up top but I wasted some cuz I didn’t have a funnel
Old 06-11-2020, 03:21 PM

Looks ok up top. Maybe your leak is coming from the front corner where the upper pan mates to the block. Replace the half-moon seal and do a good job buttoning everything up. Get the FSM.
appreciate your time so I just kinda seal the area hope it works out I’ll give update wen finish but thank you again sir very much appreciated
Old 06-11-2020, 03:29 PM

Well that's ok, not really important right now. Pick up a funnel when you can for this job. I would focus on these steps:

1) Clean that entire area the best you can with Gunk and whatever else. Make it spotless.
2) Scrape every bit of gasket material from block and pan mating surfaces. Get a drill and one of these if you can:
Amazon Amazon

3) Use Ultra Grey RTV and new front and rear half-moon seals. Also replace the two O-ring oil pump seals. Mine were red from the factory.
4) Follow the FSM instruction for re-installation of the upper and lower pans.
5) Put the car back together, fluids and all and run it for a bit while it's up in the air so you can watch it from underneath.

If all looks good then you are done. I still wonder how that leak developed between the upper pan and the block, if that is indeed the source? Was there work done to the car before? Was the upper pan removed for some reason?

You're already in this pretty deep. Take your time and do good work. This is a big job you are doing!

Last edited by User1; 06-11-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Leaking from this area I think

Last edited by User1; 06-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:36 AM

Oil leak

Well that's ok, not really important right now. Pick up a funnel when you can for this job. I would focus on these steps:

1) Clean that entire area the best you can with Gunk and whatever else. Make it spotless.
2) Scrape every bit of gasket material from block and pan mating surfaces. Get a drill and one of these if you can:
https://www.amazon.com/Goodson-3M-Ro...%2C178&sr=8-10

3) Use Ultra Grey RTV and new front and rear half-moon seals. Also replace the two O-ring oil pump seals. Mine were red from the factory.
4) Follow the FSM instruction for re-installation of the upper and lower pans.
5) Put the car back together, fluids and all and run it for a bit while it's up in the air so you can watch it from underneath.

If all looks good then you are done. I still wonder how that leak developed between the upper pan and the block, if that is indeed the source? Was there work done to the car before? Was the upper pan removed for some reason?

You're already in this pretty deep. Take your time and do good work. This is a big job you are doing!
i believe it was took down before cuz da seal was caked up like they used two bottles of silicone but they probably didn’t take it down correctly like fsm said do and cuz that leak I’ma make sure everything by valve covers r good but If the leak is coming from upper pan and block what I need to do at this point?
Old 06-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jamaal Rogers
i believe it was took down before cuz da seal was caked up like they used two bottles of silicone but they probably didn’t take it down correctly like fsm said do and cuz that leak I’ma make sure everything by valve covers r good but If the leak is coming from upper pan and block what I need to do at this point?
Ah, so it's been worked on. Makes sense. But now I would want to know why?

What you need to do at this point, is just put it back together! Replace the seals I mentioned, get some Ultra Grey (get the squeeze tube, don't bother messing with the caulk tube) and follow the FSM section on upper and lower pans.

I numbered the approach I would take in the above post.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:23 PM

Oil leak

Ah, so it's been worked on. Makes sense. But now I would want to know why?

What you need to do at this point, is just put it back together! Replace the seals I mentioned, get some Ultra Grey (get the squeeze tube, don't bother messing with the caulk tube) and follow the FSM section on upper and lower pans.

I numbered the approach I would take in the above post.
i sure will do exactly that some time this week I’ll let u know wen I put it together thanks and I appreciate da info
Old 06-13-2020, 07:25 PM

Fo shizzle, let me know! Looks like it's just you and me on this one. 6th gen forum gets NO love.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:33 PM

It would make sense that your leak is coming from that corner. If someone previously had the pans off for whatever reason and botched the re-installation, that would be the area most susceptible to poor workmanship. A leak on any corner of the upper pan would be relatively profuse, as the crank case is under quite a bit of pressure. Any weakness in the upper pan and block seal would be a big deal.

The only other place I can think it would be coming from in that area is the front timing cover in the lower/affected corner. Do we know it the front timing cover has been off? The RTV in your pic looks factory.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:42 PM

It would make sense that your leak is coming from that corner. If someone previously had the pans off for whatever reason and botched the re-installation, that would be the area most susceptible to poor workmanship. A leak on any corner of the upper pan would be relatively profuse, as the crank case is under quite a bit of pressure. Any weakness in the upper pan and block seal would be a big deal.

The only other place I can think it would be coming from in that area is the front timing cover in the lower/affected corner. Do we know it the front timing cover has been off? The RTV in your pic looks factory.
i checked there it’s good in that area
Old 06-18-2020, 10:15 PM

Any updates?
Old 07-08-2020, 07:41 PM

I take it all went well?
Old 07-22-2020, 07:34 PM

I take it all went well?
I just put everything back together so for as the oil leak it like good I just gotta get back under there and tighten my exhaust r something but far as the oil it looks good just been getting a lot of rain the past few weeks down here in New Orleans but I appreciate you guys through it all thanks....and another thing that I’ve seen was at the top ah Lil oil caked up so ima replace all that round valve cover too once I get a chance.

Last edited by Jamaal Rogers; 07-23-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:58 PM

I thought everything was good but still leak not heavy but it’s still leaking 🤔🤯😠😡😡
Old 07-23-2020, 07:02 PM

Clean it up really good and keep an eye on where it's coming from.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:01 AM

Clean it up really good and keep an eye on where it's coming from.
i really can’t see but it’s coming from same area,so I thought bout loosen motor mounts and jack da engine up so I may see a lil better r any suggestions cause I know it can be fix
Old 07-24-2020, 06:56 AM

i really can’t see but it’s coming from same area,so I thought bout loosen motor mounts and jack da engine up so I may see a lil better r any suggestions cause I know it can be fix

my leak looks like it’s coming from under this silver piece
Old 07-24-2020, 08:36 AM

my leak looks like it’s coming from under this silver piece

It’s coming from in there stuck my finger in there and it was fresh oil so look like my best thing is to seal in there

that hole under da housing is where my problems are
Old 07-24-2020, 07:36 PM

Could be front timing cover.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:47 AM

that's what I’m thinking But I just learned that they’re gaskets round timing so I’m thinking I have to change all that but it’s gaskets and getting to it.well it look like it’s a lil less work then that upper pan.....just gotta loosen motor mounts and jack it up high as I can and work from there

Last edited by Jamaal Rogers; 07-25-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:52 AM

well u was right that’s where it’s coming from and I never knew about timing cover and it’s seal around it I always wanted to kno I knew bout timing chain itself but never know it a cover but my uncle took over cause I need my car like now..
Old 07-26-2020, 11:00 AM

Hopefully he can get it sorted quick. You did a good job though. It certainly could have been an upper oil pan leak and you did that job yourself. That's a crazy big job and most people wouldn't have even thought about trying it. So congratulations, you're crazy!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Hopefully he can get it sorted quick. You did a good job though. It certainly could have been an upper oil pan leak and you did that job yourself. That's a crazy big job and most people wouldn't have even thought about trying it. So congratulations, you're crazy!
it was times I got stuck so da real mvp is my cuz who came and bell me out of tough situations and where I seal at in that hole work now but I know it will leak again so I need that fix it did right glad my unc came thru cause I’m bout to start workin again so I need my car but thanks again for everything without you guys and my cuz I think I would’ve spent a lot of my do you guys da mvp thanks again
Question I have a 2007 maxima we would my motor fit in a 2006 r a 2008 maxima S L???

Last edited by Jamaal Rogers; 07-26-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:47 PM

Yes, it is the same engine.

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-26-2020, 01:21 PM

Yes, it is the same engine.

Let us know how it turns out!
only if da guy sell it for cheap I heard da motor going bad r it’s bad but I told him to take da motor I just want da body he to me make an offer I’m not trying to pay over $800 for it ima offer him $500 and see where it goes from there
Old 07-26-2020, 02:13 PM

Wish I was there to give you a hand bro. Hope it all works out. Hit us up if we can help out at all! Peace bro.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:42 AM

Wish I was there to give you a hand bro. Hope it all works out. Hit us up if we can help out at all! Peace bro.
I appreciated everything but my uncle told me move I don’t know what I doing so he bout to tackle it all and I will help down da line but everything will is that ok from here I believe thanks again
Old 08-06-2020, 02:58 PM

What’s this part called?
C
Old 08-06-2020, 07:18 PM

That's your Bank 2 IVT solenoid. We didn't think that was where your leak was. Your uncle should know what that is.

Quick Reply: Oil leak upper pan