7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.7 possible in the maxima for 2010??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 AM

3.7 possible in the maxima for 2010??????

ok so we all know the maxima has the 3.5 v6 thats been out since 2002 that all nissans been sharing with different tweaks. with the new 3.7 now going in the G37 sedan and being layed out across the line in infiniti. do you guys think the 3.7 will make it down to the nissan clan when it refreshes its line. or even that SR maxima that we have talked about. that might come out with the 3.7. with the new TL being debuted having two choices of engines and awd. the maxima would be quite the competitor with the 3.7 awd setup found in the G series infiniti. think about it 327hp awd maxima. yea it might be to much of a overlap with the G series but i'm sure with the maxima setup and if they only make two out of ten in this 3.7 awd setup it would make for a great 4dsc and might handle better then the G. it would be a total different ride. what do you guys think
Old 08-10-2008, 10:26 AM

i think this should be a easy setup to create and it puts it back in line with the TL which in my opinoin is maxima's closest competitor
Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Nissan is hyping up the reamped 3.5 in the maxima now, and if they put the 3.7 in the maxima there would be little reason to get the more expensive G37.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Nissan is hyping up the reamped 3.5 in the maxima now, and if they put the 3.7 in the maxima there would be little reason to get the more expensive G37.
That's right. Anyone who knows how to run a business wouldn't want their products to compete with one another. I think Nissan learned that lesson with the Altima and the 6th gen Maxima being too close to each other.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 PM

I feel PulsarGTS and Divewjason are probably correct. The Maxima concentrates more on being a combo sports/near luxury family sedan than some of its competitors who either lean either to 'sports' over 'luxury' or vice-versa.

Had the world situation not changed so drastically this past decade, I could see the 3,7 and AWD in the Maxima for '11 or so, with the G37 still being kept several dozen HP ahead. But the days of 'bigger is better', and especially of 'more powerful is more desirable' may be over. The price of gas may have taken a temporary drop, but the long-term trend is always going to be up, and fuel efficiency will become ever-more critical. Government regulations will require that.

For the mid-generation upgrade, I feel Nissan will work mightily to find a way to nurse one more MPG out of the 3.5 engine, and will add the diesel option. By '13 or '14, a hybred Maxima may be available, probably a gas-electric combo. This may sound 'wimpy', but could actually have a faster elapsed time (using both the gas and electric engines), and get overall gas mileage between 34 and 37 MPG.

By 2017, photo-electric panels may appear cleverly hidden on top surfaces of the Maxima.

Times are definitely changing, and the Maxima will have to change with these times.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:58 PM

If you look at the pricing, Acura competes with Infiniti, not with Nissan. The TL and the G37 are very close in price and options. AWD 3.7L for both.

It's the Accord that the Maxima is going up against. Both are FWD 3.5L

Nissan had two options when designing a car above the Altima, but below the G37. They could give it the Altima drivetrain and G37 style, or they could give it the G37 drivetrain and an Altima styling.

We got a really nice leather interior, excellent build quality, and a sleeker curvier design that IMO looks better than the G37. And to power it, we got a more powerful version of the Altima front-drive, CVT, VQ35DE drivetrain.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Divewjason
That's right. Anyone who knows how to run a business wouldn't want their products to compete with one another. I think Nissan learned that lesson with the Altima and the 6th gen Maxima being too close to each other.
well same could be said of altima 3.5 n SE-R, TL n TL-S, 5th gen n 5.5th gen, even corolla n corolla S, i see it moreso as competing with the competitors while creating the opportunity to increase business (making mo money) i think a 3.7 would have been a tight addition, kinda gives it that aggressive edge......... think about it, i'm moreso into the 5th gen body style over the motor i'm glad there was a less expensive version of the 5th gen or else i'd be doing a TL or GS, people love options

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 08-10-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:30 PM

I hear y'all but what if

Originally Posted by Divewjason
i see your point but if you think bout it they did it back during the 4th gen with the I30 and the Max being the same car and it didn't hurt sales of neither. there are still the people who would go straight to the infiniti dealership for the G37x just for the name and the look of it. then the people like us would go for the maxima with its more sporty aggressive feel and wide track awd. and the people who want the infiniti won't really step down to the maxima cause they will loose some of the luxury feel and ride of the G37. That is what i think. so it shouldn't hurt sales just gives the maxima a better edge vs non-nissan brands ethier way nissan is getting the money. as far as gas the people who are worried about it will opt for the lesser more fuel effiecent version this would just be a souped up specail edition like an aniversary edition. but i hear what everyone is saying but they can call it the Maxima Spec-V. something with this new wide track it will be perfect for this setup. even though it most likely will never happend but there is still a chance. then it would be almost worth the 40+k that some dealers are asking.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

They already ticked off Infiniti by giving the GTR to Nissan. I doubt they are going to step on toes again this soon. The Maxima will stay with the 3.5L.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Plus its not like putting the vq37 in the G35 where it literally bolts in. They would need to create a new Vq37 castings with different mounting points to fit the fwd chassis.. Not that it would be hard for them to do but it wouldent just bolt in.. it would cost more, and the competition would tke away sales from Infiniti.

I wouldent need an infiniti version of the the GTR which is what they are talking about doing but if they just took the G37 and put the GTR engine in it and marked up the price 10K-15k it seems like it would be a good performance car to crush the 335I and I bet 10-15k markup would be enough to still make it worth their while.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:15 PM

they ticked off the dealer infiniti is still a nissan so if it does step on toes oh well. they are about to put out the new 240 for nissan and inifiniti will have its own version of that same car. the murano and the FX are the same car with different options so it can happen
Old 08-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by sciff5
Plus its not like putting the vq37 in the G35 where it literally bolts in. They would need to create a new Vq37 castings with different mounting points to fit the fwd chassis.. Not that it would be hard for them to do but it wouldent just bolt in.. it would cost more, and the competition would tke away sales from Infiniti.

I wouldent need an infiniti version of the the GTR which is what they are talking about doing but if they just took the G37 and put the GTR engine in it and marked up the price 10K-15k it seems like it would be a good performance car to crush the 335I and I bet 10-15k markup would be enough to still make it worth their while.
if they only had the 3.7 on the awd they wouldn't have a hard time and wouldn't have to worry about the FWD chassis because it will be awd chassis
Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM

There's a reason that no one here has a RWD Maxima made after 1984. It's very difficult to take a car that was designed for FWD, and make it AWD or RWD. Nissan would have to make major changes to the unibody, the interior, and completely re-do the suspension in order to get power to the back wheels.

It's not like Nissan can just go ahead and drop a G37 drivetrain into the Maxima. In general, a FWD-designed chassis is not capable of powering the rear wheels without substantial changes. The front and rear subframes need to be redesigned, a transmission/driveshaft tunnel has to be rebuilt, and the rear suspension has to be redesigned to accommodate a differential. It's not feasible.

Acura is putting AWD in the TL... after completely redesigning it.

I think we're going to see a diesel maxima with some nifty tricks. And a 30th AE that should hopefully have a very cool body kit, badges, trim, maybe a special exhaust or something, and probably an engine tuned for an extra 10hp or so.

But I expect to see them hit a few more cars with the "Liquid Motion" treatment before making the 8th generation Maxima.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by gold4dsc
if they only had the 3.7 on the awd they wouldn't have a hard time and wouldn't have to worry about the FWD chassis because it will be awd chassis
So now your talking about designing a new rwd/awd chassis??

Or do you meen just using the g35 chassis.. gee thats smart and it worked for infiniti/nissan before.. theres a reason you dont see many I35s out there compared to maximas... hell why would someone buy an infiniti if its just a rebadged maxima?

Its just a bad idea..but I wouldent be suprised if nissan did it.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
well same could be said of altima 3.5 n SE-R, TL n TL-S, 5th gen n 5.5th gen, even corolla n corolla S, i see it moreso as competing with the competitors while creating the opportunity to increase business (making mo money) i think a 3.7 would have been a tight addition, kinda gives it that aggressive edge......... think about it, i'm moreso into the 5th gen body style over the motor i'm glad there was a less expensive version of the 5th gen or else i'd be doing a TL or GS, people love options
i see your point but if you think bout it they did it back during the 4th gen with the I30 and the Max being the same car and it didn't hurt sales of neither. there are still the people who would go straight to the infiniti dealership for the G37x just for the name and the look of it. then the people like us would go for the maxima with its more sporty aggressive feel and wide track awd. and the people who want the infiniti won't really step down to the maxima cause they will loose some of the luxury feel and ride of the G37. That is what i think. so it shouldn't hurt sales just gives the maxima a better edge vs non-nissan brands ethier way nissan is getting the money. as far as gas the people who are worried about it will opt for the lesser more fuel effiecent version this would just be a souped up specail edition like an aniversary edition. but i hear what everyone is saying but they can call it the Maxima Spec-V. something with this new wide track it will be perfect for this setup. even though it most likely will never happend but there is still a chance. then it would be almost worth the 40+k that some dealers are asking.
I see where both of you are coming from. However, there are not that many I30s out on the road today. I think that says something. I'm very sure that the Maxima hurt the sales of the I30.

Changing the drive train will be too much trouble for Nissan. I don't see the 3.7 coming out until MAYBE the next generation and after the G37 has moved on. Yes, we would all love what you both are describing, it isn't that we don't want it to happen, we have the same hopes as you do, but really from a business standpoint it isn't a financially sound decision. Also I don't think that Nissan would be willing to go through that trouble to appease the enthusiasts.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 AM

ok last thing the platform that the maxima is on already have a all wheel drive designed for it. the maxima is built on the same platform as the murano and thats all wheel drive. but enough talk. basic points it could happend if they wanted it to
Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM

ok last thing the platform that the maxima is on already have a all wheel drive designed for it. the maxima is built on the same platform as the murano and thats all wheel drive. but enough talk. basic points it could happend if they wanted it to
I dont think you understand... The Vq37 is designed to be fit into a RWD chassis. The FWD maxima as well as pretty much every FWD car I know of has a transversly mounted engine.. You cant mount the current Vq37 transversly. It has to be mount longitudionally like it is in the G37 and G35...
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Old 08-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Very sound, Mike

I dont think you understand... The Vq37 is designed to be fit into a RWD chassis. The FWD maxima as well as pretty much every FWD car I know of has a transversly mounted engine.. You cant mount the current Vq37 transversly. It has to be mount longitudionally like it is in the G37 and G35...

Or, another way of looking at it. The Murano is a FWD-based AWD system, whereas the G is a RWD-based AWD system.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike

Or, another way of looking at it. The Murano is a FWD-based AWD system, whereas the G is a RWD-based AWD system.
Exactly
Old 08-11-2008, 07:18 PM

I think if they were to do that it would have been done or mid model upgrade
Old 08-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Thank you! That is one of the points I was trying to make.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

what makes you even ponder this? nissan will be focused on the diesel. 3.5 already got beefed up. no 3.7 max soon.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 AM

talk about torque steer WOW is there any other front drive car that is stock with 340 hp? I think that is when then move it to all wheel or rear
Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
but if you think about it even if they make it to close to a G soem pppl may still get the G because they'll say ooo Infiniti, but i think you'll get respect if you have teh maxima.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by nalc
If you look at the pricing, Acura competes with Infiniti, not with Nissan. The TL and the G37 are very close in price and options. AWD 3.7L for both.

It's the Accord that the Maxima is going up against. Both are FWD 3.5L

Nissan had two options when designing a car above the Altima, but below the G37. They could give it the Altima drivetrain and G37 style, or they could give it the G37 drivetrain and an Altima styling.

We got a really nice leather interior, excellent build quality, and a sleeker curvier design that IMO looks better than the G37. And to power it, we got a more powerful version of the Altima front-drive, CVT, VQ35DE drivetrain.
Actually the Altima is the Accord's direct competitor from the 4 cylinder to the V6.....As still the Max does not have a direct competitor...The closest in mission would be the TL. Despite the Acura vs Nissan badge.....
Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 AM

Not going to happen.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Actually the Altima is the Accord's direct competitor from the 4 cylinder to the V6.....As still the Max does not have a direct competitor...The closest in mission would be the TL. Despite the Acura vs Nissan badge.....
Speaking of the new TL, to me it looks like the 6th gen from several angles!

Take a look!!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by drakutis
Speaking of the new TL, to me it looks like the 6th gen from several angles!

Take a look!!
I agree. The overall shape is very much like a 6th gen.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 PM

Looks like a 6th gen body with the 7th gen side creases.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by drakutis
Speaking of the new TL,
The New TL is as big as the RL and the next gen RL is suppose to be a true LS/S/7 competitor but thats just rumor, should be interesting to see what Acura prices the new TL at especially with the 3.7 and AWD and the S model still needs to come
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
I agree that the Accord and Altima are competitors and the Maxima is a class above, but if you look at how the price range overlaps, loaded up Accords do come into Maxima territory, many cars now overlap, never before have we had such a line up of competitive cars to choose from, one can choose from many different option combinations and preferred driving characteristics good for the consumer and you can can your dollars worth on your purchase where years ago it seem like it was all or nothing
Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'd rather have a VQ35HR.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 AM

my thing is, dont even make it an AWD just like how there's an AWD, FWD, n a RWD VQ35, why not do a FWD VQ37?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Bigger question is WHY do a fwd 3.7L?

It's not as simple as just taking the Rwd model and sticking it in a fwd car.

Fwd has nothing to do with any option that would be available with AWD.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I could see that happening more than a 3.7.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM

pointless thread, ppl will just sick to their narrow minds and keep say watever, this can go on for ever... my .02, it would be a nice addition more options for buyers, great responce to competitors but its not happening, /thread
Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 PM

290 HP is all in the world this sporty/near luxury '09 Maxima FWD affordable family sedan needs. 60 MPH in 6 seconds and 140 MPH top speed (computer limited) fill my needs completely. The fact several here are reporting 30 to 32 MPH on freeway trips is the icing on my cake.

If one wishes to race, the GT-R and 350Z are sitting on the dealer's lot begging to go.

My personal feeling is that lamenting impractical things (such as mounting a 3.7 liter engine designed for linear installation in a RWD car into a FWD car that is built for transverse engine installation) is a 'glass half empty' approach.

I love what they have done with the '09 Maxima.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 08-15-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

306 hp fwd is enough for stock. as long as it gets into the 13's its a taker
Old 08-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Actually, I would be kind a sad :0( because I will have the 09 with the 3.5 and not the 3.7

Quick Reply: 3.7 possible in the maxima for 2010??????