7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:01 PM

What to do, what would you do?

I bought my new 09 Max a couple of months ago but there has been a problem locating the VIN in Nissan's inventory and as of today I have not been called/contacted in any form or fashion in regards to a payment for my car or anything.

I went to my dealer and told him about the issue, prior to going there I had already made about 3 or 4 calls to the Nissan HQ in Texas to inquire about my VIN and why I have not received any documentation in regards to making a payment.

When I talked to Nissan's HQ people, they asked me for the VIN and I gave it to them, they asked me if I gave it to them correctly so I gave it to them in Phonetic Alphabet code, they checked and said that the car doesn't exists in their inventory or in any Nissan inventory.

For the time being my car has been given to me for free, I already registered the car, have insurance and everything is up to date but I still haven't paid a penny for my car since August.

What should I do? What would you do?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:09 PM

Mexico...and quick?!?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by PadawanKnight
Mexico...and quick?!?
seriously lamo..

wow thats crazy.. i was kinda in that situation bc i was trying to make an online payment and the system didnt have my info in it on the car... but in a few weeks it was updated... as far as ur sitiation... idonno
Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 PM

i would put my payment money aside and don't touch so if and when the problem gets sorted out i can pay what i owe and every month i would continue to put my payment money aside. Aside from that enjoy your free 09 to the max. Wish it was me. lol lol
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 PM

dude, this means you dont get warranty !!!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:19 AM

bk2k3max - The '09 Maximas manufactured so far ALL have VIN codes as follows:

1N4AA51E*9C8-----

where the * is a check-digit, and must be either a digit (0 to 9) or an X, and the
----- must be a number between 00001 and 24000.

If you gave them anything other than that, either you misread the VIN, or your Maxima must have been 'assembled' in the South Bronx (not good).

Be sure and don't mix '1' with 'I' or 'O' with '0'.

All '09 Maximas with serial numbers between 800001 and 824000 have been built.

Please let us know where yours varied.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Love my '09

I must insist you give me the car for the next few months while I investigate the issue.......

Old 10-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by fcoral 05
i would put my payment money aside and don't touch so if and when the problem gets sorted out i can pay what i owe and every month i would continue to put my payment money aside. Aside from that enjoy your free 09 to the max. Wish it was me. lol lol

Yes, I've been doing exactly what you said from the beginning and enjoying the ride as you mentioned at the end.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
bk2k3max - The '09 Maximas manufactured so far ALL have VIN codes as follows:

1N4AA51E*9C8-----

where the * is a check-digit, and must be either a digit (0 to 9) or an X, and the
----- must be a number between 00001 and 24000.

If you gave them anything other than that, either you misread the VIN, or your Maxima must have been 'assembled' in the South Bronx (not good).

Be sure and don't mix '1' with 'I' or 'O' with '0'.

All '09 Maximas with serial numbers between 800001 and 824000 have been built.

Please let us know where yours varied.

Thanks for the info, I know about the difference in using numbers as opposed to letters and vice versa (in fact when I called I mentioned that I used Phonetic Code) plus I was reading it directly from the Finance Contract and even the vehicle itself.

The dealership I bought the car from called to Nissan's HQ in Texas and they told him that the car doesn't exist in their inventory too.

So far I'm continuing to enjoy the free ride but I'm setting my payments aside in an account that is just gaining interest and not touching it.

The only problem that I'm going to face is the next year when my car needs a vehicle inspection sticker renewed. My warranty is valid and I have no problem getting service (took my car to Nissan to change the oil, it was free as my next oil change will be free also).

I have everything up to date, tags, title, insurance, etc. but I just don't have a car payment.

I gave every number/letter combo that I could possibly give to Nissan's HQ to find the VIN and I still have gotten the same answer everytime, "Sir, this car doesn't exist in our inventory"!!!

I always wanted someone to give me a free ride.

Ain't God the Greatest???
Old 10-11-2008, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
Thanks for the info, I know about the difference in using numbers as opposed to letters and vice versa (in fact when I called I mentioned that I used Phonetic Code) plus I was reading it directly from the Finance Contract and even the vehicle itself.

The dealership I bought the car from called to Nissan's HQ in Texas and they told him that the car doesn't exist in their inventory too.

So far I'm continuing to enjoy the free ride but I'm setting my payments aside in an account that is just gaining interest and not touching it.

The only problem that I'm going to face is the next year when my car needs a vehicle inspection sticker renewed. My warranty is valid and I have no problem getting service (took my car to Nissan to change the oil, it was free as my next oil change will be free also).

I have everything up to date, tags, title, insurance, etc. but I just don't have a car payment.

I gave every number/letter combo that I could possibly give to Nissan's HQ to find the VIN and I still have gotten the same answer everytime, "Sir, this car doesn't exist in our inventory"!!!

I always wanted someone to give me a free ride.

Ain't God the Greatest???

This has to be Nissan's FINANCE HEADQUARTERS INVENTORY you are dealing with. Any Nissan facility with any connection or relationship with the assembly plant can take one glance at the VIN number and know immediately that your car was built and does exist in Nissan's official vehicle inventory.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:05 AM

That is aweosme. I am happy for you. I hope this lasts for as long as it can. But like other poster's have said, put aside the money like it never existed. Alright now the flip side. Sine your car does not seem to be registered with any of the VIN registries, if it is stolen no-one will be able to trace it using the VIN. I hope you have lo-jacked your car or using a very good security system.
Also where do you live???
rick.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:03 AM

This has to be Nissan's FINANCE HEADQUARTERS INVENTORY you are dealing with. Any Nissan facility with any connection or relationship with the assembly plant can take one glance at the VIN number and know immediately that your car was built and does exist in Nissan's official vehicle inventory.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is but I've tried everything humanly possible to get this straight, I've even called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they said the same thing.

I've read the VIN from under the hood near the firewall, off the contract, I even had the dealership call them on several occasions but nothing and I mean nothing has come up matching my VIN.

It isn't like I'm lying to anyone or trying to keep from not paying for the car (although it would be nice to have it totally free) but I feel that I've done more than my part by just reporting it.

Most people would've have said a damn thing if they got a car for free but I still haven't given up and I'm setting the money aside just in case.

What else can I do if I've done all of this and they (Nissan HQ, the Dealership and everybody else) can't match my VIN??

All I can do is enjoy the ride.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:53 PM

SHIFT_enjoy the ride
Old 10-12-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is but I've tried everything humanly possible to get this straight, I've even called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they said the same thing.

I've read the VIN from under the hood near the firewall, off the contract, I even had the dealership call them on several occasions but nothing and I mean nothing has come up matching my VIN.

It isn't like I'm lying to anyone or trying to keep from not paying for the car (although it would be nice to have it totally free) but I feel that I've done more than my part by just reporting it.

Most people would've have said a damn thing if they got a car for free but I still haven't given up and I'm setting the money aside just in case.

What else can I do if I've done all of this and they (Nissan HQ, the Dealership and everybody else) can't match my VIN??

All I can do is enjoy the ride.
Always go to the top when seeking this kind of action. You will get results.
Send a letter to:
Mr. Carlos Ghosn
President and Chief Executive Officer
Nissan Motors
Nissan Americas
One Nissan Way
Franklin, Tennessee 37067

His United States executive assistant will discuss the problem with Mr. Ghosn. He/she will forward your letter to a senior officer and will require that person to resolve the issue with you. The senior officer will be expected to get back to Mr. Ghosn's assistant with a resolution. I predict this will be resolved within a week after the letter arrives at their Franklin, Tennessee headquarters.

Last edited by rkurlander; 10-12-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM

rkurlander is right, as usual. That is the way to assure a resolution to this enigma.

I would bet money that somewhere, somehow, someone (lots of places this could happen) keyed one character incorrectly in entering/reporting the VIN. When dealing with a VIN, one character off by even a flyspeck puts the car on the dark side of the moon (out of sight forever).

We definitely would like to know the details involved in the inevitable eventual detection of this stealthy '09 Maxima.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM

rkurlander is right, as usual. That is the way to assure a resolution to this enigma.

I would bet money that somewhere, somehow, someone (lots of places this could happen) keyed one character incorrectly in entering/reporting the VIN. When dealing with a VIN, one character off by even a flyspeck puts the car on the dark side of the moon (out of sight forever).

We definitely would like to know the details involved in the inevitable eventual detection of this stealthy '09 Maxima.
I guess this well be my next step (contact Ghosn) and like I said, we've (me, the dealership, mechanics) all checked the VIN in all its' places and look at the contract to verify and it is correct and doesn't exist in the Nissan inventory.

I will try Ghosn but after that if he says it doesn't exist then I'm going to relax my heels and enjoy my new and free car.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks for all the help, advice and comedic responses.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM

I guess this well be my next step (contact Ghosn) and like I said, we've (me, the dealership, mechanics) all checked the VIN in all its' places and look at the contract to verify and it is correct and doesn't exist in the Nissan inventory.

I will try Ghosn but after that if he says it doesn't exist then I'm going to relax my heels and enjoy my new and free car.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks for all the help, advice and comedic responses.
I guarantee you will get a positive resolution within a week of the letter's arrival in Tennessee.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

To the OP

I would stop posting in this thread, don't say another word about "the issue".
Put the money aside, in an account, just in case they find you.

Enjoy your ride for now.

I got a complete living room set a few years back, never paid a penny for it.
Don't ask, don't tell. Live by it.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 AM

Sh*t man, you crazy? Drive that baby.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Seems to me that this is easily resolved. I assume this is financed by Nissan/Infinity? If so, call them up give them your SS# and they'll be able to look up your account with that. It could be that someone keyed in the wrong VIN when processing your work but the finance company would have all the loan info under your personal info.

Of course unless you did this already? If so, screw'em. It'll eventually catch up to you but as long as you make good on payment I doubt any negative issues will come of it.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by largepkg25
Seems to me that this is easily resolved. I assume this is financed by Nissan/Infinity? If so, call them up give them your SS# and they'll be able to look up your account with that. It could be that someone keyed in the wrong VIN when processing your work but the finance company would have all the loan info under your personal info.

Of course unless you did this already? If so, screw'em. It'll eventually catch up to you but as long as you make good on payment I doubt any negative issues will come of it.
They have all of my info and I even ran my Credit Report with all the major Credit Reporting Agencies and it doesn't even show up on none of my Credit Reports.
I did the SSN thing and they found nothing, I did the VIN thing with them, I sent the letter to Ghosn and so far nothing, I expect that they will get back to me but I can't see how they'll be able to tell me anything when it doesn't even show up on my Credit Report.

I'm telling God is a Miracle Worker and I love HIM for not just this but everything HE has ever done for me.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
nycnissans

man, just put the $$ aside and SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

don't say another word about it
Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
man, just put the $$ aside and SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

don't say another word about it
Thanks for the support, is that your Max in the pic? That's sweet.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:50 AM

They have all of my info and I even ran my Credit Report with all the major Credit Reporting Agencies and it doesn't even show up on none of my Credit Reports.
I did the SSN thing and they found nothing, I did the VIN thing with them, I sent the letter to Ghosn and so far nothing, I expect that they will get back to me but I can't see how they'll be able to tell me anything when it doesn't even show up on my Credit Report.

I'm telling God is a Miracle Worker and I love HIM for not just this but everything HE has ever done for me.
You say "I sent a letter to Ghosn and so far nothing". If you mailed Monday it probably was received yesterday, or will be today. If you mailed Tuesday it will be received today or tomorrow. Do you expect his office to react to something they haven't seen yet? In a week you will have a resolution. Please chill out.

Last edited by rkurlander; 10-16-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 AM
nycnissans

Thanks for the support, is that your Max in the pic? That's sweet.
yes thats my baby, thanks

man think about the numerous times dealers screw people over, you just got the gift.......lol

on a side note, I do think they will catch on to it sooner or later, until then just lay back and relax but continue to put the payments aside.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:13 PM
aka The Doom Ship

The only problem I have with this situation is you don't have the title! And if you don't have the title who does???

Other than that I would enjoy my free Max and not try to contact anyone further! Just enjoy it!

Even if Ghosen gets the letter he's just gonna push it down to his underlings. They're gonna look it up, find no information, and dismiss it. What I don't understand is the dealership shoulda got paid by now.

Last edited by AllBlackMax; 10-16-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
The only problem I have with this situation is you don't have the title! And if you don't have the title who does???

Even if Ghosen gets the letter he's just gonna push it down to his underlings. They're gonna look it up, find no information, and dismiss it.

A car without a title is not really a car. A title is absolutely required before you will be able to sell/trade this car.

As for the letter to Ghosn, post office personnel were off from Saturday around noon until 4AM Tuesday morning because of Columbus Day. I would expect the letter to arrive at Nissan Friday morning. It will be perused by a Ghosn assistant, and since mail sent personally to Ghosn does indeed get attention, will be assigned to a research underling, with response required. That underling will use his/her computer and phone to find out where the ball was dropped. I expect you to hear something next week, certainly by week after.

Do set the money aside, because this isn't a tooth fairy situation; you will be paying for this beautiful car.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Some guy on clublexus bought an IS and made 1 or 2 payments and when he received his next payment it said total amount due was ZERO, everyone he called was like your car is paid for and hung up on him all he did was put the payments aside
Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM

did he ever get the title?,

Originally Posted by STARR
Some guy on clublexus bought an IS and made 1 or 2 payments and when he received his next payment it said total amount due was ZERO, everyone he called was like your car is paid for and hung up on him all he did was put the payments aside
Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 AM

[quote=bk2k3max;6656662]They have all of my info and I even ran my Credit Report with all the major Credit Reporting Agencies and it doesn't even show up on none of my Credit Reports.

So...has this been resolved?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up

I think this has been resolved if you ask me so all i would say is " DRIVE ON MAN, DRIVE ON" good luck and say thanks to the gods because it appears that you have been given a once in a lifetime gift.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=rkurlander;6690075]

So...has this been resolved?
Well, I don't really know to tell you the truth because nobody has called me, emailed me, sent me a letter asking for a payment or nothing.

It's as if this car just doesn't exist and I have thanked God because no one can do this kind of thing except HIM.

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Love my '09

Oh don't worry. Some accountant geek will come up missing 35k on his books or whatever the $, and they'll go looking for the paperwork. At which point, they'll probably find it. Love your 'freebie' now, 'cause it'll happen eventually.

If they never do, well, almost like winning a new car at the lotto and NOT having to pay taxes. Of course, you'll never be able to sell it with no title.