7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To on replacing Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:35 AM

How-To on replacing Headlights?

My friend just got an 09 and he just picked up HID's to install and it seems that there is a lot of work involved in getting behind the headlamps. Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Looking forward to the answer, I'd be very interested in this also. Since the car already has projectors, it would seem to me to be a fairly easy thing to swap out the halogens for xenons, or am I oversimplifying things?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 PM

I'm assuming you guys got the base model? i'm wanting to change the bulbs on the fog lights to match my headlights, not sure what the bulb type is and I need to look up on that.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by michaelle8885
I'm assuming you guys got the base model? i'm wanting to change the bulbs on the fog lights to match my headlights, not sure what the bulb type is and I need to look up on that.

yeah i want to do the same thing.. any info? anyone?
Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe to get to the headlights, you need to remove the front wheels and the fender liner. At least that's what I did to get to the headlights on my G37. I will try to change the high beam bulbs on my wife's Maxima this week and let you know if it's the same.

On a different note, has anyone changed their rear turn signals bulbs? I wanted to replace the stock bulbs with some Silvervisions to get rid of the egg yolk effect, , but the entire tail light assembly needs to be removed to change a single turn signal bulb. I think that is a very poor design. You should not have to go to the dealer to change a tail light bulb. In any case, I decided to hold off until I get some instructions before I attempt again. Has anyone replaced the tail light bulbs on the new Maxima?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Anybody have any info on the bulb size for the fogs on the 09?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by fdcarguy
Anybody have any info on the bulb size for the fogs on the 09?
i thought they were the the same type of bulb in the 2k7?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The Fog Bulbs are not the same as the 2007 Maxima. The Fog Bulbs on the 2009 Maxima are H11 type bulbs, I believe.

They are listed in the Owner's Manual and are a piece of cake to install, just remove the plastic cover under the front bumper and they are right there. It took me less than 10 minutes to replace.

The High Beams are a different story. For those, you need to remove the wheels and the front wheel well covers. Once the covers are removed you have a straight shot to the High beam bulbs (more/or less).

I replaced my fog lights and high beams with PIAA Extreme White bulbs and they match the Xenons much better than the stock bulbs.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by cornelt
The Fog Bulbs are not the same as the 2007 Maxima. The Fog Bulbs on the 2009 Maxima are H11 type bulbs, I believe.

They are listed in the Owner's Manual and are a piece of cake to install, just remove the plastic cover under the front bumper and they are right there. It took me less than 10 minutes to replace.

The High Beams are a different story. For those, you need to remove the wheels and the front wheel well covers. Once the covers are removed you have a straight shot to the High beam bulbs (more/or less).

I replaced my fog lights and high beams with PIAA Extreme White bulbs and they match the Xenons much better than the stock bulbs.
can u give me alittle more detail on the bulbs u got and what were the requirements u had while purchasing them.. as well as any info on needing a conversion kit or not
Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM

I looked it up in the Manual and it does read H11 as the type of bulb in the Fog Light section and that it is a 55 Watt bulb and that is it, nothing really specific.

I can't seem to understand why Nissan would give you the option of having Xenon Headlights but only the Low Beam lights are HID. I won't be changing my high beams anytime soon but I do run my fog lights all the time so I am definitely going to change those out to an aftermarket H11 version of the Fog Light Bulb to give it a uniformed look.

I did find this on the internet but it is for the 2008 Maxima Fog Light, let me know what you guys think if this might work or if I am way off base:

http://www.statracing.com/oem-replac...Fog+Light+Bulb
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM

since, high beam light is not used often, so just changing fog light would be good enough. just a question.. would this modification cause any problem for leasing car?
should i ask my dealer about this change? and i also would like to switch rear plate light to xenon too. if anybody has done this, could you share some info? thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 PM

I don't see why this would be an issue if you leased a vehicle. If you plan on turning in your vehicle after your lease is up then just keep the stock items that you take off and replaced with aftermarket items and put them back on when it's time to turn it in. Or you can just turn the vehicle in as is with upgrades and then they have more of a pricing chip when they decide to turn it around sale back out to the public.

I just turned in a lease on a Dodge Ram Hemi and I still had an aftermarket Hood with scoop and insert and also a remote start viper alarm system installed on it and I had absolutely no problem with the turn in process, in fact they were excited that the truck was in such good shape and had a few modifications to it that could help them sell it easier.

With my MAX I intend on keeping it after the lease expires or until they come out with something faster and cooler in this category so I am not worried about the mods. But with all the mods I am having done with the exception of the alarm system I will be able to pul them all out and go back to stock with a turn of a wrench no problem.....that's if I decide to get rid of her in the end, as of now I don't see that happening.......I love this car!!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM

cool! thank you for ur answer. I love this car,too
Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 PM

according to the way we did it at the plant, you are gonna have to take the front bumper off, then it will be fairly simple. headlights were put in place before the front bumper
Old 12-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I plan on changin my fog lights so they match the HID's. Is there a specific website I can order them from ?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bless
I plan on changin my fog lights so they match the HID's. Is there a specific website I can order them from ?
i'm also tryna figure out where i could get some....ebay has sum super white PIAA fogs h11 but not sure if i should get those or better ones....Any1 know a good plate to buy some fogs?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 PM

also does any1 know bulb size for the turn signal?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Did anyone else try the link I posted to see if these are an option to fit in the 09 max???

I found this and I am not sure if this will work in the 09 MAX???
Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by choice89
Did anyone else try the link I posted to see if these are an option to fit in the 09 max???

I found this and I am not sure if this will work in the 09 MAX???
link doesnt work
Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM

ok, well I'm gonna take the leap for the team and purchase some H11 Xenon HIDs from eBay and I'll let you guys know it goes.

But does anybody know the exact color temperature that we have for our headlights? is it pure white or light blue? or what 'K' (color temperature) is it? I want to closest match possible. I have the Xenon HIDs for my headlights.

Last edited by michaelle8885; 12-10-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:19 PM

I am not sure why the link does not work in my last post but it still does work in my first post #10. Check it out!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM

I am not sure why the link does not work in my last post but it still does work in my first post #10. Check it out!!!
but those are H3 size bulbs, 09 Maximas use H11 for fog lights
Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM

yup. link also don't work for me.

by the way, so i know it's H11. should i get

H11 size xenon HID bulb, then replace it by self?

i hope michelle8885 get this work done soon. he seems really good at

lights.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM

http://mobile-emotions.com/h11xepl75bu5.html

would this one ok?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Steve31Jo
yea those will work, I haven't played around with the fog lights yet but the dude said they're easy and you just move the plastic covering from the bottom of the bumper and it's right there, again I'm gonna try it out but I'm just curious as to what the exact color temperature (4k, 5k, 7k, 9k?) our Xenon HID headlights are, I want thme to be as close as possible...
Old 12-13-2008, 12:45 AM

yea those will work, I haven't played around with the fog lights yet but the dude said they're easy and you just move the plastic covering from the bottom of the bumper and it's right there, again I'm gonna try it out but I'm just curious as to what the exact color temperature (4k, 5k, 7k, 9k?) our Xenon HID headlights are, I want thme to be as close as possible...
I believe they are 6K but im not really sure.....i'm also tryin to find out so could match up the fogs
Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 AM

I know with my Previous FX35 the HIDS were ~4.3K I beleive, these look very similar to them.....At least to me 6K is too far in the "blue" spectrum for the stocks....

Still waiting on people to be guinea pigs first before I change out the stocks (Fogs) for either Silverstars or PIAAs.......IMO it just sounds like a PIS to change out the Highs, they should ahve just done projectors to get both the highs and lows with the hids.......

Last edited by JHOVAMAX; 12-13-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JHOVAMAX
I know with my Previous FX35 the HIDS were ~4.3K I beleive, these look very similar to them.....At least to me 6K is too far in the "blue" spectrum for the stocks....

Still waiting on people to be guinea pigs first before I change out the stocks (Fogs) for either Silverstars or PIAAs.......IMO it just sounds like a PIS to change out the Highs, they should ahve just done projectors to get both the highs and lows with the hids.......
yea I think 5k is the whitest before it begins to hit blue, I just purchased some 4.5k Xenon HIDs off eBay so I'll let you guys know how that goes, and I'll try to do another guide on how-to for the foggies. I'm not too worried about the hb's becuase I rarely use them.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:57 AM

yea I think 5k is the whitest before it begins to hit blue, I just purchased some 4.5k Xenon HIDs off eBay so I'll let you guys know how that goes, and I'll try to do another guide on how-to for the foggies. I'm not too worried about the hb's becuase I rarely use them.
Can't wait to see your upgrade on the MAX!!! I will be next in line to change out the stock Frog Lights!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Can't wait to see your upgrade on the MAX!!! I will be next in line to change out the stock Frog Lights!!!!!!!
frog lights? LOL
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 AM

so I purchased these Xenon 4500k super white HIDs off eBay, and I won't be able to tell till at night but as of the day time they definately are more white but I just can't tell if they match the headlights yet since it's daytime. So far they are not a perfect match I'll take some pictures at night.

also the installation is very easy, just refer to my guid for the interior LEDs and it's the same process as the trunk lights, the plastic covering under the front bumper removes like the covering in the trunk, so when you take the fog lights out you turn it then pull out, then to put back in it's the same process, lock it back in place.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT! I can't wait to see the pics, that will be the next "simple" mod I plan to do on the MAX!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is anyone a bit unhappy with the HID's on the new '09? Mine seem to be a lot dimmer than my previous HID headlamps on my '05 and don't seem to project nearly as far. I had the dealer check them out and they said the HID's were fine.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 AM

so I purchased these Xenon 4500k super white HIDs off eBay, and I won't be able to tell till at night but as of the day time they definately are more white but I just can't tell if they match the headlights yet since it's daytime. So far they are not a perfect match I'll take some pictures at night.

also the installation is very easy, just refer to my guid for the interior LEDs and it's the same process as the trunk lights, the plastic covering under the front bumper removes like the covering in the trunk, so when you take the fog lights out you turn it then pull out, then to put back in it's the same process, lock it back in place.

Hey michaelle8885,
I was waiting for your pictures with your modification on your HID fog lights. Did you ever get a chance to take pictures at night on your new lights???
Old 12-27-2008, 05:04 PM

hey bro, yea the day i installed the foggies I went out of town, I wont be back until the 3rd and I will definately post the pic of what it looks like. Im still curious as to how it will look at night. Ill get back to you guys asap.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM

so I just got back home and tested out my new fog lights at night, although they are significantly better and whiter than the stock bulbs it still does not match the headlights, which are more HID white looking. The fog bulbs I purchased were 4500k and they do not match.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:35 PM

so I just got back home and tested out my new fog lights at night, although they are significantly better and whiter than the stock bulbs it still does not match the headlights, which are more HID white looking. The fog bulbs I purchased were 4500k and they do not match.

Thanks for the update michaelle8885, still standing by for the pics......I want to replace my fog lights but I want to match it as closely as possible...

If you had to guess which set since 4500K does not match would you say might work instead?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM

I did it!!! I purchased a set of H11 HID XENON 6000K replacement bulbs I can't wait to get them in I am pretty excited.......I think they might be the closest match. I will post pics as soon as I get them installed!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 AM

I got good news and I got bad news........I always hated when a conversation started off that way! But I got home late last night after the UFC Fight and found a small box had been delivered to my home!!!! So at 1:30 am I am all excited to open the box marked H11 HID 6000K bulb!!! I open it up and tada! It's the wrong damn bulb......it turns out to be a H11 HID Conversion 6000K 35W bulb..... So to make sure I am not crazy I go ahead and remove my fog light just to make sure and YUP it's the wrong friggin bulb.....Man!!!

So I immediately go back and check my reciept online from Ebay and realize that I did in fact order the wrong set :-( so now I am going to have to try and return them..... Good news is that I immediately ordered a new set last night and made sure I got the right ones this time.....and the saga continues!!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 AM

Choice89 I'm a little confused, so what did you get, was it not an H11 or was it something else. When purchasing the lights in HID do you have to make sure its not conversion kit? Are you just purchasing the h11 bulb or are you trying to purchase an HID Bulb? Let us know

Quick Reply: How-To on replacing Headlights?