7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

g35 sedan vs 7th gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:33 AM

ill take a G35 any day over the max.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:12 AM

See I could have bought pretty much any car up to 45k. Most of the cars I test drove were more than the Maxima but the new Maxima felt like the best bang for the buck. I didn't see the G35 as that much fun for some reason. I was between TL-S, Corvette, and the Maxima.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:36 AM

I test drove both cars and it was a very tough decision for me.
What made me choose Max over G35 was:
1. fuel economy
2. very few dealerships in the area (4 in the entire state)

I did pro and cons list on both cars, and infiniti came out on top.
AWD, longer warranty, made in Japan, etc...

But in reality, the only thing I will miss from infiniti is AWD. My Max has every feature the infiniti has and more. The interior, while different designs, equals in quality, so it is more of a personal preference. Finally the interior space was better in the Max, and that put a final nail in making my decision.
Good luck to all, and I can honestly say that I love both of those cars.
Max
Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 AM

The new Maxima makes the G35..even G37 look outdated and sort of plain, imo. That said, if I were in my 30's or 40's agewise, the performance of the G cars would take precedence. Close to as fast as a G8 GT. Amazing performance in a family sedan!

Being older and doing some traveling means the FWD traction in winter, the room, the better ride and the price overrides pure performance by a long way. Especially the price part. Different cars for different needs is all we have here.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mick7
The new Maxima makes the G35..even G37 look outdated and sort of plain, imo. That said, if I were in my 30's or 40's agewise, the performance of the G cars would take precedence. Close to as fast as a G8 GT. Amazing performance in a family sedan!

Being older and doing some traveling means the FWD traction in winter, the room, the better ride and the price overrides pure performance by a long way. Especially the price part. Different cars for different needs is all we have here.
1st what price was your 09 maxima at? what was it's sticker?

this car:

does not make this car look plain in any way shape or form:

G37 hits the quarter-mile mark in 13.3 seconds at 106 mph <---that is plain badassness the difference from 14.5 to 13.3 is HUGE. slicks + lil mod here or there and you could be looking at a 12.9 pass.

The best winter/bad weather conditions a Awd G will make the fwd maxima look laughingly bad. i don't see how you can say i choose the maxima because of bad weather performance. just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 AM

I think the g35 is the better sedan off course especially for the car enthusiast. The maxima is for people who wants something sporty with front wheel drive. If everyone wanted a rear wheel drive sport sedan they would not buy an acura TL and buy G35's and BMWs. That is not the case.

The performance item that impresses me about the maxima is the passing power.

Passing 45-65 (motortrend)
G37--------2.7(coupe)
335i--------2.6(coupe)
G8 (v-8)----2.7
09 max -----2.7

These cars are way faster than the maxima but the max has power when I really like it . I do not need speed off the line but on the highway when I want to blow by someone.

For me I have to compare the G35 x to the maxima since I cannot trust my wife to drive a rear wheel drive car in the snow. So there is a larger price difference in comparison to a max. On egual price I would take the g35x in a heart beat .

I have to say nissan has two great cars to choose from though. You cannot lose with either car.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus

G37 hits the quarter-mile mark in 13.3 seconds at 106 mph <---that is plain badassness the difference from 14.5 to 13.3 is HUGE. slicks + lil mod here or there and you could be looking at a 12.9 pass.

The best winter/bad weather conditions a Awd G will make the fwd maxima look laughingly bad. i don't see how you can say i choose the maxima because of bad weather performance. just wanted to throw that out there.
It is imposible for all to agree on a subjective factor such as looks. It looks much better to me ...as in not close.. and that is all that matters to me.

The Sticker for my Silver S was $30,335 and it had the deflector added by the dealer. I got out the door for 28.4k taxes and title, etc. An AWD G37 sedan is many thousands higher. Price is an object for most retired people and I gave that if I were younger, performance might override all else. I'm not and it didn't.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM

G-sedan = 6-speed
Maxima = auto/cvt/gayness

/case closed.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 PM

this car:

does not make this car look plain in any way shape or form:

At least when comparing the G37 compare the sedan to the Maxima, comparing the concept coupe (the picture you posted) wouldnt even be a "fair" comparison. IMO its pretty clear that you have chosen your favorite already, No need to even debate it further...AS its been said some people will like the looks of the Maxima better, some will like the looks of the G better.....As far as the winter performance goes, even with My FX the AWD was a "joke" as it only engadged at low speeds, hopefully Infiniti has corrected this..I have to say though that my previous FWD cars and even my wife's Saturn FWD 2WD performed better in the New England Weather then the AWD FX did....

This is the picture that should ahve been posted to compare the 09 Maxima, IMO the Maxima still has it on "looks, but again its only my opinion and others will differ:

Last edited by JHOVAMAX; 12-06-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
G-sedan = 6-speed
Maxima = auto/cvt/gayness

/case closed.
Extremely mature observation.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM

guys.....honestly...both are very good cars....but g just comes out on top in almost every category......... exterior, performance, transmission, bigger brakes, its rwd, and im sure there is more that i havent mentioned.

BTW FOR THOSE WHO THINK THE G SEDAN 6SPD COMES AWD...THEY ARE HIGHLY MISTAKEN!!!! THEY ONLY HAVE AN AUTO AWD......

EDIT:
BY THE WAY.......there is no more g35 sedan....its a g37 sedan....with a even more powerful 3.7 liter engine.

EDIT PT.2
:

Infiniti is prepping a G37 sedan that would replace its present G35 offering.

If true, the 2009 Infiniti G37 sedan, like the G37 Coupe, will employ Nissan's VQ37VHR engine mated to either a seven speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. The engine is speculated to produce upwards of 320 horsepower. Nothing has been confirmed as of yet by Infiniti, but the move has long been speculated about and seems like a no-brainer considering the G coupe already has the 3.7-liter mill.

Many of the features found on the new sedan will likely be shared with its current G37 Coupe sibling. Available 14-inch Akebono brakes, an upgraded suspension setup, and a four-wheel active steering system will reportedly find their way onto sedans shod with the sport package. Like its European market version, shown above, the U.S. spec G37 will be available in base, Journey, all-wheel drive, and sport versions.

Last edited by The Russian; 12-06-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:25 PM

^^^ personal perspective, that's all.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 PM

prestige factor: G
dealer treatment: G
chassis dynamics + stopping distance + accel times : G
interior space: Max
most bang for buck: (altima v-6)
as for snow, i know people with G-sedan driving in newengland snow w/no problems with blizzaks.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:35 PM

Having driven both the A36 Maxima and G35/37, I'll add my $0.02 here. Both cars are great performers with potential far beyond what most of their owners will ever need. The Infiniti has a RWD feel/balance to it, even the AWD model. The firm lock up on both the five and seven speed auto trannys offer another distinctive sporty 'feel' that appeals to that market segment.

The new Maxima, built on the Global D platform, is stiff and responsive. It handles and rides well, yet with more understeer as you approach the limit than the G. It's one of the best handling FWD sedans on the market today and--despite being a diehard manual tranny fan--I liked the way this second generation CVT worked. Fit and finish are excellent for both vehicles, but give the G some nods for having scratch shield paint and better sounding high-end stereo system.

On the other hand, if you like the dual pane sunroof option, heated steering wheel and ventilated driver's seat, than its advantage, Maxima! But why bother splitting hairs? Admit it, both are EXCELLENT vehicles and offer features that may appeal to different consumers, depending on their needs. You really can't go wrong with either model and Nissan fans should be thanking their lucky stars that they get to CHOOSE from such brillant sedans.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:39 PM

im not saying one car sucks....im saying yea they are both very nice cars, but one of them just comes out better...and bang for buck.....whoever said the altima v-6...i have to highly disagree.....the new sedan has a vq37vhr?? 320 hp..... which rev matches for you by itself!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

prestige factor: G
dealer treatment: G
chassis dynamics + stopping distance + accel times : G
interior space: Max
most bang for buck: (altima v-6)
as for snow, i know people with G-sedan driving in newengland snow w/no problems with blizzaks.
All the Gs sold in new england are AWD. So no need at all for snow tires. you can go everywhere in new england on the worst days with the stock all seasons that came with the car

Last edited by sciff5; 12-19-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by RuSSiAnMax415
im not saying one car sucks....im saying yea they are both very nice cars, but one of them just comes out better...and bang for buck.....whoever said the altima v-6...i have to highly disagree.....the new sedan has a vq37vhr?? 320 hp..... which rev matches for you by itself!!!!!!
Uh the engine itself doesn't rev match for you.

Nissan's new syncrorev gearbox does.

And I think it's only available on the new 370Z.

I've driven both a G35 and an 09 Max...and I like my 5th gen better

But seriously, G35/7, 6spd. And snow tires when it's snowing outside.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 PM

what it honestly comes down to is preference and opinion, that's simply it, if you going to base it off anything then the G is better than the Max becuase this is the new model so we don't know what problems we are going to have in a few months-years, besides thats, everything else is by preference: looks, interior, brand, dealerships, performance, price, and FWD (better control for certain weather, U-Turns are more precise) vs. RWD (just from what I know, it has better grip during acceleration).
Old 12-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Listen all-when I see people comparing 35k sedans it makes me laugh. They are BOTH good solid cars. The G is a little more cash so it's got a few more features.

and for all the "performance" enthusiasts...GO DRIVE A C6 CORVETTE!! I nearly bought one for low 40s...2LT well loaded and will leave any of these sedans behind. I also have a 99 Z28 that would leave both the max and the G long behind performance wise. I took it out for a Sunday drive today (the Z28) and it really is a totally different world when you start to deal with power vs luxury.

For FAMILY SEDANS the G AND the MAX are winners....thats the bottom line. If you want a better price, go Max, more cash, go G. You want serious performance? Put the cash up and get a C6. End of story.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by sciff5
And this is where everyone stopped reading/caring about your post...

When will people ever learn.
The man took the time to put out a well written post with comparisons based on his REAL WORLD experience with both cars. When you compare it to other posts (ahem) that put forth no useful information whatsoever, he's not the one in need of a chair bashing.

The two cars ARE close enough to be compared, but their differences are what make somebody choose one over the other. Neither choice is wrong, the choice is always the correct one for the person who made it. I had opportunity to compare and test drive an '06 G35 against the '07 Max. The lease rate on the G was $50/mo LESS than the Max lease and there was no doubt that the G was a better handler, but the shoulder and knee areas were WAY too cramped and it would have been a miserable choice for me.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mls277
I also have a 99 Z28 that would leave both the max and the G long behind performance wise. I took it out for a Sunday drive today (the Z28) and it really is a totally different world when you start to deal with power vs luxury.
wow your Z28 runs 13.3? what have you done to it?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 AM

YEA I WAS JUST TYPING THE SAME THING.....YOU MUST HAVE SLICKS/DR AND ENOUGH MODS....BUT COMPAIRIN YOUR 10 YEAR OLD LUNCHBOX TO A LUXURY BUFFET THAT INCLUDES HEATED SEATS, BIG BRAKES, COMFORT, HANDLING, POWER, AND MUCH MORE.....

edit: just typed this all in caps lol...dont wna retype it.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 AM

wow your Z28 runs 13.3? what have you done to it?
one of the 98-02 Z28s will run that time bone stock, people have gone 12s in them stock
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm only comparing power...the Max and G are obviously way more refined than the Z28...but as someone just said go read the numbers...even stock the LS1 Z28's are FAST.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:25 AM

I was torn between these two cars. I ended up with the Maxima SV. Here is why. The infiniti is a nice car. I wanted the g35x. The colors were limited with the options I wanted. I like blue, and the nicest blue I think the g35 comes in is lakeshore slate. However, I also wanted the wood trim, so I was limited to the wheat interior. This was to light for the two little tyrants that would be sitting in the the rear passenger seats. I wanted the charcoal interior. Then around here in New Jersey every other person has a g35. Although, I like the looks, it was getting boring considering how many people have them. And it was a 2008, so in a few weeks it will be last years model. You barely see anyone driving a 2009 Maxima and I could get the navy blue with the charcoal interior. That was the biggest selling point for me. Also, the two cars drive very similiar. I drive mostly on the highway, so front drive vs rear, or in this case AWD, only meant more weight and lower gas mileage. The Maxima has all the options I wanted and I like the carbon fiber trim on the interior. The biggest thing I will be missing is the free loaner cars with service. Maybe next time I will get the 7-speed, 328HP g35x in a color combo that I like.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 PM

09 maxima is sporty and luxerious at same time. maxima seems to have little more big spacious comfort feeling than G35/37 sedan. personally, i had 04 G35x right before this 09 maxima, G gives little more aggressive accel and power. it feels more compact and strong feeling. 09 maxima is also strong and fast but i was talking about overall drive feeling. i luve my max, but i really want to get g37 sedan also. hmmmm
Nissan/Infiniti owners really seem to have positive feedback at point of next purchase. what a power of these company!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 PM

I like the looks of the new Maxima I was a little upset that Nissan came out with this design and gave the Maxima dual sunroof when none of the Infiniti lineup offers that. Just seemed like us Infiniti guys got cheated. Now that the Maxima has been out for a couple months the novelity is wearing off for me. I see older women/men, families getting inside the Maxima. Paying 27K or more for a none lux brand car that still has cloth interior and a 3 year warranty doesn't sound very economical in this day and age.

I think Nissan has a good product but the price is not realistic.

On the other hand the G35 no matter what model year is an awesome handling car it's priced just right and I think the 7th gen Maxima proves that even more! Just look at the fact that people are cross shopping the two and the fact that you can get a G35 for a little more or less then the 7th gen is a plus. I like the styling of the 7th gen but it just has the wrong badge on it for 30k+

ps you can get a M35 which is simular in size to the Maxima (might be bigger) for 36-38K brand new.

Last edited by perrymaxima; 12-16-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by perrymaxima

ps you can get a M35 which is simular in size to the Maxima (might be bigger) for 36-38K brand new.
Who're you kidding?

2009 M35 w/ NO options = $46,615 MSRP, $45,334 Edmunds TMV price.

You are extremely lucky around here to get an Infiniti dealer to come down ANY from MSRP. While my Nissan dealer has already offered $200 under invoice for a Max.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM

This is a wonderful post and let's me know that Nissan has done exactly what it set out to do. That is to have repeat customers. Posters are arguing over which car is better, the Nissan or the Infiniti. Either way it goes, you'll buy one of them!!!!

Having owned 5 Maximas and am now driving a 2005 G35x, the only reason I didn't get an 09 Maxima is that I didn't want a high *** car note. Not to say that I don't love my G35x because I do.

Because I am hooked on the Nissan family, I am satisfied that Nissan has given us such choices in both Nissans and Infiniti. No matter how much I like marquee brands such as Mercedes, BMW and Lexus, Nissan has kept me as a customer because they build quality cars and trucks that appeal to me.

And that's my loose change!!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Who're you kidding?

You are extremely lucky around here to get an Infiniti dealer to come down ANY from MSRP. While my Nissan dealer has already offered $200 under invoice for a Max.
Where do you live? I'll give you a discount, ship the car, and still provide you a better deal.

Goes for anyone else on here too

Now you cant say you never got a discount from an Infiniti dealer.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by perrymaxima
I like the looks of the new Maxima I was a little upset that Nissan came out with this design and gave the Maxima dual sunroof when none of the Infiniti lineup offers that. Just seemed like us Infiniti guys got cheated. Now that the Maxima has been out for a couple months the novelity is wearing off for me. I see older women/men, families getting inside the Maxima. Paying 27K or more for a none lux brand car that still has cloth interior and a 3 year warranty doesn't sound very economical in this day and age.

I think Nissan has a good product but the price is not realistic.

On the other hand the G35 no matter what model year is an awesome handling car it's priced just right and I think the 7th gen Maxima proves that even more! Just look at the fact that people are cross shopping the two and the fact that you can get a G35 for a little more or less then the 7th gen is a plus. I like the styling of the 7th gen but it just has the wrong badge on it for 30k+

Well some people actually prefer cloth and I think that it is good that Nissan has kept it that as an option, Maxima buyers historically like that option. Also since the G's inception it and the Maxima's price has been really close (this time sometimes Max's are more) and had similiar power until 06, just some may have preferred front wheel drive vs rear etc etc. I do agree that Nissan needs to extend the basic warranty to 48months at least instead of the current 36. People will buy this car once the economy picks up and recall reading in Motor Trend or C/D that the Max sorta has a cult following meaning that many people buy them over and over again.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Well some people actually prefer cloth and I think that it is good that Nissan has kept it that as an option, Maxima buyers historically like that option. Also since the G's inception it and the Maxima's price has been really close (this time sometimes Max's are more) and had similiar power until 06, just some may have preferred front wheel drive vs rear etc etc. I do agree that Nissan needs to extend the basic warranty to 48months at least instead of the current 36. People will buy this car once the economy picks up and recall reading in Motor Trend or C/D that the Max sorta has a cult following meaning that many people buy them over and over again.
Agree, the Max does have a cult following, I've owned 3 of them (2k, 2k3 and now 2k9).

Both Infiniti and Maxima are great cars.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Who're you kidding?

I should have clearified 2008 M35s are going for for less then 40k. You can even get a good deal on a 2009. Infiniti is dealing on the M line since she's long in the tooth and still carries the old V6 and V8
Old 12-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Cloth is cool but 28K base model and Nissan just doesn't sit well on my stomach now 370z is a totally different story. 27k should get you bose, sports package and leather... It may sound like I'm bashing the Maxima but I'm bashing Nissan for making such a nice car but loosing touch when it comes to pricing.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 PM

^^^they cannot lower the price any more than that, dont forget altima can be had for that kinda money.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 AM

^^^they cannot lower the price any more than that, dont forget altima can be had for that kinda money.

Yes, BluFlame is absolutely right; loaded Altimas are close below Maximas.

Some here (not BluFlame) keep comparing the 'desperation' prices on the old-style G35 with '09 Maxima prices. Why? The Maxima is a new aggressively styled flagship, while the G35 is an old-style entry-level car for Infiniti.

Folks here on the ORG are driving loaded (with Sports or Premium packages) '09 Maximas off the lot for under $35k. When the very long list of optional features on those cars is closely examined, we find that is an excellent buy.

The G35 is an excellent car, but most here who have driven both the '09 Maxima and the G35 prefer the Maxima. But there will always be some who can live with the G35's older styling, tighter room, etc, still cling to the old-style (less efficient) manual, and don't mind the RWD. For those types, the G35 will do fine. Not as roomy or stylish or efficient as the '09 Maxima, and none of the advantages of FWD, but still fine.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, BluFlame is absolutely right; loaded Altimas are close below Maximas.

Some here (not BluFlame) keep comparing the 'desperation' prices on the old-style G35 with '09 Maxima prices. Why? The Maxima is a new aggressively styled flagship, while the G35 is an old-style entry-level car for Infiniti.

Folks here on the ORG are driving loaded (with Sports or Premium packages) '09 Maximas off the lot for under $35k. When the very long list of optional features on those cars is closely examined, we find that is an excellent buy.

The G35 is an excellent car, but most here who have driven both the '09 Maxima and the G35 prefer the Maxima. But there will always be some who can live with the G35's older styling, tighter room, etc, still cling to the old-style (less efficient) manual, and don't mind the RWD. For those types, the G35 will do fine. Not as roomy or stylish or efficient as the '09 Maxima, and none of the advantages of FWD, but still fine.
there is no more g35, all sold are g37s and have the 'new' styling
Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM

Inventory

Using the check inventory feature on Edmunds, the local dealers have a bunch of 2008 G35 sitting on the lots but not many G37..apparently most of those are on the newly rented lots close to the shipyards in California still.

Great deals to be had on the G35 right now. One dealer had 14 G35 and 2 G37 last night.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am from the boston area. The 3 infiniti dealers in the area have over 100 08 G35x.

I am picking up an 08 g35x wih premium pkg for less than I was offered for the SV sport.

I appreciate the obvious performance advantage the G has and given the fact that we are in the middle of a storm as I type I will appreciate the AWD even more.

I think Nissan/infiniti has not offered incentives on the Maxima because they don't want sales cutting into the sale of the 08 Gs. Once the 08 G stock is reduced I expect the Maxima incentives will begin.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:36 PM

I'd choose (and I did) the Max over the G35 but the M, well that is a different story. Someone traded one in to my dealer today and part of me wants to ask what they are selling it for but I'm afraid it will make me second guess getting the Max (bought it on Tuesday). Ohh well.

Quick Reply: g35 sedan vs 7th gen