7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STILLEN EXHAUST DILEMA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM

STILLEN EXHAUST DILEMA!!!

Hey guys,
Christmas has got here early this year with my wife purchasing the full Cat-Back Exhaust from Stillen Motorsports. I was home on a day off when FEDEX delivered the box on Tuesday so the cat is out of the bag! We are celebrating Christmas early this year on Saturday due to an upcoming road trip so we are openinig gifts this weekend instead.

Here's my dilema!!! The Rear section is here in my garage but the B Pipe connection that complete's the cat-back section is not yet and will probably get here on Monday. I have access to a lift on Base for $2.00 an hour and all the tools I need to install the whole system. My question to you guys is should go ahead and install the Rear Section tomorrow afternoon because I am to anxious or should I wait until I get back from my road trip (next weekend) to install the whole system in one shot? Making repeat trips to the lift facility is not an issue since it is there for our use at a nominal fee, I just wanted some opinions on if I should do it in stages, if that might cause any issues or be paitient and do it all at once next week!!! ahhhhhhhh!

Lookin at that box is killin me, I just want to know how it sounds!!!! Man I love my WIFE!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 PM

I would wait NO YOU AZZ DOIT NOWWW HAHAHAAHAHAA
Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

F
Originally Posted by choice89
Hey guys,
Christmas has got here early this year with my wife purchasing the full Cat-Back Exhaust from Stillen Motorsports. I was home on a day off when FEDEX delivered the box on Tuesday so the cat is out of the bag! We are celebrating Christmas early this year on Saturday due to an upcoming road trip so we are openinig gifts this weekend instead.

Here's my dilema!!! The Rear section is here in my garage but the B Pipe connection that complete's the cat-back section is not yet and will probably get here on Monday. I have access to a lift on Base for $2.00 an hour and all the tools I need to install the whole system. My question to you guys is should go ahead and install the Rear Section tomorrow afternoon because I am to anxious or should I wait until I get back from my road trip (next weekend) to install the whole system in one shot? Making repeat trips to the lift facility is not an issue since it is there for our use at a nominal fee, I just wanted some opinions on if I should do it in stages, if that might cause any issues or be paitient and do it all at once next week!!! ahhhhhhhh!

Lookin at that box is killin me, I just want to know how it sounds!!!! Man I love my WIFE!!!
Install it my man... U will regret it on yor trip if u don't ....
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
*moderator*

Yeah if the lift isn't an issue (or the time to go back under and finish the job) Then do it!!!!

They say Christmas only comes once a year but you can have it come twice!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned

might as well do it. i see no downsides, as long as you don't mind doing it twice so to speak. least you'll get to enjoy it on your trip.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM

dooooo it
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM

F it for $2 hr do it know and the rest when it comes, ill drive down so you can do my installs Ill give you $10 hr LOL.. Thats the best havin access to a lift lucky you. Take some pics when done...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:21 PM

You would not need a lift to just do the rear section alone, i would just install it now, but i am not a patient man when it comes to car stuff. Its your call dude, It sucks that you only got half of the system, what was the excuse for that?? Merry Christmas, oh wait, sike just kidding. I bet the wife is a little pissed..

Any chance you talked to Stillen and requested a Next Day Drop, you could have it by Saturday at the latest, then go on your trip after the install. Just bring a video camera and upload a sound clip quick! =)

Last edited by Silversurfer; 12-18-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Got Retrofit?

Install it for the trip.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by choice89
Hey guys,

Good deal Bro, you got yourself a great wifey.

I take it you stationed at Fort Lost in the Woods, so you have access to the DOITY shop on Base and if you got time then you may as well do it and enjoy it, after all isn't that the reason your wifey gave you such a great present?

I used to be stationed at Ft Lost in the Woods back in 93-96 and you have a lot of highway running up 44 to Da Lu, believe you me, all you'll be thinking about is how the whip would sound with the system hooked up.

Good luck, Merry Christmas and hit up a fellow Soldier when you get a chance.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 AM

I know!!! I absolutely love that woman!!!
I have decided that I am going to install the rear section later this afternoon when I wake up probably around noon!!!!! I work nights so I will get some sleep and do the install. I will be taking pictures, before and after and I will also be taking video, before and after as well!!! I will probably have all of that up later this tonight on Youtube or some other link..... so stand by!!!!

I know I would be thinking about it the whole time I am down in Ft. Worth TX visiting family that it would drive me crazy!!! I would have to wait another whole week to get home and put the rest of it on. I will have someone house sitting my residence to pull the other box into the Garage in my absence!!!! I can't wait....maybe I won't go to sleep and I will just do it right after work hmmmmmmmm well see!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM

wake up and install the thing you will love it
Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 PM

Get er done!!!

Originally Posted by Chio
wake up and install the thing you will love it
I finally got home and it's all done!!!! I can't even begin to tell you how EASY this install was. Literally just four 16mm bolts two gaskets a little WD-40 and it was on in less than 30 minutes!!! It took longer for me to take pictures than it did to even do the install!!! Two dollars later for the lift time and I was on my way home!!! (the lift made it so easy to walk under and install)

Here are some pics of the Stillen Rear Section install, FEDEX says the rest of the system will be here next Tuesday, which means I won't be able to install the full cat-back until the following week when I get back from the road trip, but here it is for now!!!

Here is a view at the STOCK setup!!

Here is a view of the new STILLEN setup!!!

She's all DONE!!!! More to follow when I get the rest of the system in!!! We've had quite a bit of sleet rain and snow here so the car is a little dirty......she will be cleaned tomorrow we are expecting a bit of sunshine!!!

Last edited by choice89; 12-19-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 PM

Here is a side view of the system, I will be posting sounds clips of the system soon, I have to figure out how to do that on this forum, or just post it on Youtube and link it to this thread.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Looks great. Please do a sound clip when able.
That way the ones that are mostly interested in sound will know what the
axle back system sounds like compared to the cat back system, when you get it installed. Can't wait to hear it. Be careful if you come thru OK, our HP have all white Chargers on the road now, and they like to run with their radar off until its to late.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks jacejax for the heads up, I will be traveling down I-35 for the major portion of my nine hour drive!!! so I wil be on the look out for them!!! I took a sound clip with my camera which has a video recorder in it, but it did not come out so well. But I can post it if you want that version, I was going to get my DV Camera out and get a better sample.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 PM

I appreciate the compliment jacejax, I recorded a clip on my camera that has a video recorder but it did not come out so well. I will bring out the DV video recorder in the morning and get a better clip and post it up with the rear section only and by next week the FULL system!!!
Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 AM

way to go!!! you will love it!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:55 PM

cool beans man, safe trip. Install looks good.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:50 PM

Looks like the garage at Whitenam in good ole' Knobnoster? I've worked on my car in that garage when I was TDY up there a few dozen times.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought the rear section as a funny gift for my wifes 09. I threw it on today, and must say.... I took it back off. I did not like it. Sounded good, but too loud for me to have her drive everyday. It will be for sale as soon as I can figure out how to post a new thread... Anyone want it?

Mike
Old 12-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by svoshop
I bought the rear section as a funny gift for my wifes 09. I threw it on today, and must say.... I took it back off. I did not like it. Sounded good, but too loud for me to have her drive everyday. It will be for sale as soon as I can figure out how to post a new thread... Anyone want it?
Ouch man let the woman keep it.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Mike
How does it compare to the G35 Stillen exhaust in this clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vW9lfqCFU Similar? Louder?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by gordoe
That sounded nice.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
That sounded nice.
I know! If the exhaust on the Maxima sounds like that I will be forced to put in on my 09!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by gordoe
I know! If the exhaust on the Maxima sounds like that I will be forced to put in on my 09!
Of course.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It sounded great outside the car. However, it was too loud inside the car. Almost had a drone to it. I was hoping it would sound like the G35 or 350Z. However, it did not. Maybe I should have done the whole system, but I think it would have been worse.

It took all of 6 minutes to swap out. I can always throw it back on and see if it breaks in any. However, I would only assume it will get louder as the insulation breaks up inside it.

Mike
Old 12-26-2008, 05:52 AM

Put some exhaust wrap on the Mid pipe, The throw on some sound dampener on the frame above the the Mid pipe area. Dynomat should work just fine, i used it on my old Rice Burner, and it worked like a champ.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:30 AM

It sounded great outside the car. However, it was too loud inside the car. Almost had a drone to it. I was hoping it would sound like the G35 or 350Z. However, it did not. Maybe I should have done the whole system, but I think it would have been worse.

It took all of 6 minutes to swap out. I can always throw it back on and see if it breaks in any. However, I would only assume it will get louder as the insulation breaks up inside it.

Mike

I am surprised that you felt it sounded too Loud, I actually thought at first that it was too soft. It was a very nice sound a very Low aggressive tone almost like the video of the G35 but not as loud. THEN after my 1300 miles of raod trip to Texas and back the sound settled in and sounds GREAT!!! PHENOMINAL!!! I am sure I could find a ton of differnt words to describe it but you just have to hear it yourself. I can't wait to install the rest of the system to hear the difference!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 AM

Whats up!!!!
I don't really like the video clip I took with our small digital camera. I don't think that it really recorded the true sound of STILLEN system on the MAX. But I uploaded it anyway on youtube. This was right after I installed it on a very cold morning, hope you guys like it and I will be posting a new clip from a better camera that should capture a much better sound!!!! Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUBnEszUvbY
Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 AM

I think it sounds pretty true to what mine sounds like!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:41 AM

I FINISHED IT!!!! I hooked up the rest of the full Catback system this afternoon!!!!

Let me tell you if you have anyone who can assit you in this modification BRING EM!!!! This was not as easy as just intalling the rear section alone by any means!

First portion of taking out the old system was ok, except that I was unaware that the entire rear section is one whole piece as opposed to the aftermarket Stillen setup which is two. After I got past that the removal of the old system was cake.

I followed the instructions to a tee and installed the front portion using WD-40 to aid in the installation which was all easy until it came time to install the y-pipe! This is where a friend would come in hand!!!! Trying to mate the back pipe to the Y-pipe WAS NOT EASY by yourself!!! The two pipes just did not want to connect properly and fully seat all the way. I had to ask someone else who was working on his Van to come over and help me get the two pipes almost seated. I did tighten everything up after I had all the pipes in place and took a quick video before I had to rush off and go home to get ready for work. I will be going back to the lift to adjust the tips to align them a little better on Tuesday!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 AM

in my opinon the maxima loses that touch with Stillen Exhaust, my brother put one on this 09 max and it sounds like a Pontiac Gran Am I personally don't like it doe anyone share this it might be me or just a particular set up?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 AM

congrats on your exhaust system sounds good!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:40 AM

Exhaust sounds great. Don't forget the pictures of the grill!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by alxdagreat1
congrats on your exhaust system sounds good!!!

Thanks!!! I am at work tonight but I did get up and wash my MAX before I came in to work today!!! The weather looks as if it's going to stay in the 50's for this week.....almost tempting me to throw the rims back on!!! But I will be going back to the lift on Tuesday to re-align the Exhaust tips and get a very detailed video with the sound of the Full system installed......for those of you who are wondering, there really is not much difference so far between having just rear the section installed and having the full catback system installed.....I do notice a different smell in my garage with the full system installed, my guess is it is just getting settled in with the materials internally being heated up.

I have also noticed an increase in Gas mileage of 2.4 MPG better than what I was normally getting in the past two days of my normal driving to and from work which is 11 miles one way. I will wait and see when I go from a completely fresh tank of gas and compare from old to new.

But so far so good, I am VERY pleased with sound and look of the new exhaust system and will be posting better sound clips very soon. I can't wait to install the intake and really let the MAX breathe on both ends!!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 PM

I think your MAX sounds great. I will be doing this install after the first of the year. I will be doing a 10% tint next week.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Thanks t8kover, I will be doing my last MOD come 15 Jan 09 when I order the Intake kit with the Stillen bucks I recieved because of the Exhaust purchase my wife made and I think I will be done for a while until they come out with something new for the MAX that I might want to have installed. I am not going to lower her or add any body effects so Rims, Exhaust, Intake, Tint, Grille, Alarm/Remote Start, Audio System......I think I am done for now...that is until I decide to change out my fog lights to HID!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Choice,
May I ask how much the intake would cost? Do you have a link?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by RAW4LIFE
Choice,
May I ask how much the intake would cost? Do you have a link?

All you have to do is go to the STILLEN website....I just typed in STILLEN in the yahoo or google search and enter the make model and year and you can find all types of goodies for the 09 MAX!!!!
Goodluck

Quick Reply: STILLEN EXHAUST DILEMA!!!