7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Any Improvements

Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Any Improvements

A few of the 6th generation problems are well known like poor turning radius,bumpy rides,torque steer and strut problems.Do any 7th generation drivers think Nissan tackled this problem?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by DConrad2007
A few of the 6th generation problems are well known like poor turning radius,bumpy rides,torque steer and strut problems.Do any 7th generation drivers think Nissan tackled this problem?

Very definitely.

The turning radius of the 6th gen was one of the worst, but the '09 turning radius has been reduced by almost FOUR FEET, making it one of the better ones in its class. This is partly as a result of the '09 having a wider, shorter wheelbase.

Car mag testers (and several drivers here) say the '09 has a much-improved suspension over the '08. If there have been strut problems with the '09 reported here, I missed them.

While many 6th gens had obvious torque steer, magazine testers, as well as '09 drivers here, generally fall into two groups: Those who find the '09 torque steer is either barely/hardly noticable, and those who say the '09 has no torque steer.

As with all complete redesigns, there will be weaknesses with this '09. So far, the few problems reported have tended to be scattered across the spectrum, with no real concentration in one area that I am aware of, except for several reporting a strange vibration within a limited speed range that some feel may be caused by Nissan setting the CVT controls in a way that optimizes MPG, but leaves the engine at too high an RPM for the situation.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 AM

Well, I agree with lightonthehill (<<<it was hard typing that altogether without spacing, LOL) and from owning previous Maximas (2000, 2003) and now owning an 09, I can attest to the fact that the turning radius has been significantly reduced.

I used to hate the fact that it nearly took me an entire street's circumfrence to turn around but now I just merely turn the wheel and most of the time not even lock to lock and I can negotiate an entire street without doing 3point turn arounds.

As far as struts on the 09, this car is as stable as any European Sedan I've driven or rode in, the only thing that suffers a bit in the 09 is the side to side rocking motion but that's because the car has a stiff anti-roll bar and that is a common problem with cars with such roll bars. One way to reduce this motion is to lower the car and add in an RSB kit or something like that.

Torque steer-My 03 has mad torque steer from a standing start but this car (09) doesn't have any from a standing start unless you accelerate from a left or right turn with the pedal to the floor or you are going into a sharp turn (like a circle) very fast and you hit the accelerator very hard but that's excusable for a car with 290HP/264TQ going through the front wheels (actually it feels kinda cool, makes the car feel even more powerful when you do that).

Good luck, if you plan to purchase it, they are really nicely built cars.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 AM

I don't know if I'd call it torque steer, but you definitely feel it pull when you accelerate hard.

As far as the car, it's done very very well. Although I have to admit I bet the 2009 Altima 3.5SE with sport, premium, tech and all the goodies is probably a very close car to the Max.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
Although I have to admit I bet the 2009 Altima 3.5SE with sport, premium, tech and all the goodies is probably a very close car to the Max.

Maybe a little close in price, but the Altima is beginning to look very dated in style. I never liked the Altima 'jetson' taillights. In fact it's styling may compare with the Maxima for some folks, but I consider the Maxima styling much more fresh, aggressive, lean, modern, innovative etc.

Also, the Altima has less power, and not quite the appointment sheet as the Maxima. Does the Altima have a heated steering wheel? That is an absolute must for me. Does the Altima have an air conditioned driver's seat? I honestly don't know. The fact base Altimas can now be driven off the lot for as little as around $15,900 probably hurts sales of loaded Altimas.

For me, the '09 Altima is more Nissan's current equivalent to pre-6th gen Maximas (easily affordable, spirited 4DSC) than to the plush, near-luxury '09 Maxima flagship.

But we all see things slightly differently.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:05 AM

lightonthehill I agree with what you are saying. The Maxima is awesome...I just was at Nissan (for what turned out to be a very good service experience) and I was checking out a loaded altima they had on the showroom floor. The sticker was 30s but it sounded like 27ish would do it. Its a lot fo car when its loaded for the price, but I didnt drive it either. Still a great bargain for a good solid car.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
lightonthehill I agree with what you are saying. The Maxima is awesome...I just was at Nissan (for what turned out to be a very good service experience) and I was checking out a loaded altima they had on the showroom floor. The sticker was 30s but it sounded like 27ish would do it. Its a lot fo car when its loaded for the price, but I didnt drive it either. Still a great bargain for a good solid car.

Can't argue about the 'bargain' part. My wife counts her pennies, and has said for months that, for the money, she would get the Altima over the Maxima any day. Especially since they are rather equivalent in room and reliability. Consumer Reports gives the Altima very high marks. My wife just doesn't understand style.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Sold

SOme members have reported that the drivers seat has been "loose". Like it rocks back and forth.

One member reported rust in the channel just behind the rear window. Dealer re-painted that part. That's about all I have seen for problems so far.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Can't argue about the 'bargain' part. My wife counts her pennies, and has said for months that, for the money, she would get the Altima over the Maxima any day. Especially since they are rather equivalent in room and reliability. Consumer Reports gives the Altima very high marks. My wife just doesn't understand style.
The leases are tempting on the Altima too, even loaded I hear you can get nice numbers. MANY people in my area lease. It seems convenient and I nearly leased a BMW 328XI AWD. The thing I don't like is being tied into the payment for years guaranteed. I like the freedom of a standard car payment that you can sell/trade at any time. I was at Nissan yesterday and I wouldn't say I'd give up the Max for Altima, but I wouldn't be too upset if I HAD to take a fully loaded Altima either.

I'd say in my adventures of finding a car the C6 Vette was the coolest car I test drove but the amount of space inside was frustrating.