7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Amazing Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM

Amazing Alignment

Ok, this morning I was coming to work and I managed to turn too quickly before I cleared the curb. I guess I was too eager to get to work.

I kind of gouged my rims (getting them repaired tomorrow after work). In any case, I took my car down to the bottom of the parking lot and took my hands off the wheel and drove it around and listened for strange noises and the car seems to be just fine. It is a very solid car. I think the alignment is solid. The car felt like it bounced around when I hit the curb and I was really worried about it when it happened.

I think I'm ok, I'll be watching for any signs of anything, but I think I came out ok from this. It won't be that expensive to have the rims refinished so that was a break.

Last edited by Maxgal; 03-10-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Love my '09

Please...... Be more careful and considerate of your new toy!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:20 PM

You're not kidding. Driving it home, I was listening and feeling for anything out of the ordinary. After I get the rims fixed, I'm going to take it for an alignment and see if I need to rebalance the wheels. I'm so nervous about it. I have not even had this car for a month and then this happens. I could not have been more upset after this happened and I've been obsessing over it all day long.

It totally sucks.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Love my '09

Yeah, hard not to obsess about it. I've had mine since, what last Aug or Sept. Not a scratch on it yet, no dents, dings or curbed wheels yet. it's going to happen and I'm gonna be upset when it does.....
Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Do you think that I could have damaged something else? Like Struts or anything? I kind of hit hard, and the car bounced around. I sort of think I may have slightly knocked it out of alignment but not by much. I'm just so **** about this. I have to make sure that I get it back to normal or I won't be happy.

So:

1. Fix rims
2. Check Alignment
3. Check Wheel Balance
4. Check for strut damage, etc.

Should I be looking for anything else. All damage was on the drivers side front and back.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM

Maxgal- you're right to be concerned about the alignment. Any impact that actually gouges your alloy wheels is most likely big enough to damage the alignment. If you don't repair it quickly, your tires will take a set and begin wearing unevenly. This may not be anything you feel from behind the wheel, but it takes its toll over time. Get to a shop with a laser alignment rack to be sure-they can also check for any other damage while assessing it!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Something did feel a little different in the front, so I want to take it in for an alignment. I have a place that I want to take it that I think is pretty good. I can see if they can take me after work and get it checked ASAP. This is a brand new car, and I want it to be ok. I'm so mad at myself for doing this.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:40 PM

Same thing

I drove over a U shaped landscape protrusion with 4-6 inch curbs. I turned right before the driveway!

Made a big bump but nothing scraped. I didn't do any wheel damage as I was going very slow..10-12 mph. Both front and rear right side went up and over. I still feel foolish that I somehow didn't see it.

The car has 1500 miles since then and no apparent problems. These cars hold alignment real well...It is due for an oil change so will get the alignment checked at that time just in case.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgal
Do you think that I could have damaged something else? Like Struts or anything? I kind of hit hard, and the car bounced around. I sort of think I may have slightly knocked it out of alignment but not by much. I'm just so **** about this. I have to make sure that I get it back to normal or I won't be happy.

So:

1. Fix rims
2. Check Alignment
3. Check Wheel Balance
4. Check for strut damage, etc.

Should I be looking for anything else. All damage was on the drivers side front and back.

Unles you heard scraping underneath the car (other than the rims), your list may be complete. This '09 has only a 4 inch ground clearance, so won't clear even the smallest curb. Check your left side rocker panel carefully.

I would guess you will need an alignment (but that isn't for sure). Whether they do an alignment or not, I would check the wear on the tires regularly for several months, just to be sure the wear is fairly even. Be especially alert for tread feathering, a clear sign of alignment not being exactly right.

Although this slip-up probably did not knock your tires out of balance (unless it somehow knocked a weight loose), you will need a completre rebalancing of the left side tires anyway, as they will be repairing the rims (will probably add or subtract an ounce or so of weight), and they may even have to remove the tires from the rims to more easily facilitate the rim repair. Any time a tire is removed from the rim, unless they remount the tire in precisely the same place on the rim, a rebalancing is mandatory.

I know exactly how you feel, and it hurts in a frustrating way.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 AM

I'm taking the car in on Thursday for the rebalancing, realignment, and investigation of anything else for certain after work. I trust the Good Year guys that I took my last car to. They tell the truth and do some great work on cars. I trust my car will be back to normal or I'll be back to peace of mind shortly. No sooner than this weekend.

Any other advice is welcome and appreciated. This is why I immediately join forums such as these after I purchase a new car.

Thanks all.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Ok, he fixed the rims. The front one looks a little bit off - it's more flattened in the front than I'd like, but it looks better than it did. You'd have to really be looking at it to notice it. I noticed that I took a chunk out of my tire near that spot. So I hope I don't need a new tire soon. Unbelieveable - I cannot believe that I did this to my brand new baby car.

So tomorrow I go to GoodYear and let them give the car a once over. I'll mention the tire and see what they say. I wonder if they can repair a tire like that. It's on the sidewall.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Love my '09

so, any before and after photos????
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 PM

They basically just sand it down and then put the finish on. So it looks as good as new. Nothing really to show now. Sorry.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Love my '09

That's OK. I would not want to show my abuses either....
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM

I think that's one of the biggest problems that I will have with my new Max. I've never owned a White car before so I'm hoping that the 3-Coat Paint will actually stand up to a little bit of abuse and won't show dings very much. it's not that i'm abusive to my cars, but stones and chips happen ..

anyone know how white responds to chips and dings? is it better or worse than say ... silver?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM

You have to be careful with this car, remember the way this car is set up to take a turn is unlike in previous Maximas, this thing just turns on a dime and remains flat and stable.

When i first got my car I started driving it in different situations/road and manners to see how the car reacted and I can't believe how much better this handles than my 03.
When Nissan designed this car they took it to Nuburgring to try and get its' target handling (a Porsche was the target) as close to a RWD vehicle as possible.

So now when you think your car can't negotiate this turn or that turn it actually can and will do so at faster speeds as well. The 09 Maxima has been touted by many Car Mags and researchers to be amongst the best, if not-the best FWD handling car in the world.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 PM

fix the wheel and go to the dealer and act like you feel like the car is pulling they prob check it for free
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Drockb418
fix the wheel and go to the dealer and act like you feel like the car is pulling they prob check it for free
And if the Nissan tech finds any bent suspension components, you look like an IDIOT. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the damage, take a closer look at a damaged wheel and tire to figure the customer whiffed it. I can't condone that practice.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 PM

So tomorrow I go to GoodYear and let them give the car a once over. I'll mention the tire and see what they say. I wonder if they can repair a tire like that. It's on the sidewall.

Unlike most punctures, etc, in the tread area, sidewall damage cannot be repaired. Either the structure of the sidewall is damaged or it isn't.

Most folks probably feel the most vulnerable part of a tire is the tread, which has to deal with all kinds of bad roads, potholes, nails, etc. But all the tread has to do is roll and roll and roll. By contrast, the sidewall has to flex noticably with every revolution of the tire, and is the area that will usually fail first if the tire is run underinflated, or at speeds higher than the tire is rated for.

Most punctures in the tread area can be safely repaired. Punctures in the sidewall automatically mean a new tire. Any damage to the internal structure of the sidewall means a new tire. The sidewall is the thinnest and most critical part in maintaining the integrity of the tire. I would be very wary of runnning a tire with anything more than superficial or cosmetic sidewall damage, especially on this performance car.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 AM

No, I won't lie. They already know what I did. I'm gonna do things right. If I need a tire, I'll get a tire. If I need an alignment, I'm getting an alignment. I want this car back in tip top shape. If the left side doesn't match the right side in alignment, and they tell me I don't need an alignment then I'm gonna have them do one anyway because I want them identical.

Do you think that I am being ****?

One correction on my little accident. I did not actually drive over the median. I hit it sideways. It didn't go under the car, thankfully. The damage to my rims was minimal and it only cost me a measly $150 to fix.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM

I want this car back in tip top shape. If the left side doesn't match the right side in alignment, and they tell me I don't need an alignment then I'm gonna have them do one anyway because I want them identical.

Do you think that I am being ****?.

There are many folks who, upon sideswiping a curb rather briskly (and your 'bounce to the side' would hint toward briskness), automatically get a realignment. Considering this is a fairly new car, and the tires still have lots of tread (in fact, you may even be putting one new tire on), you need to be sure your alignment is good.

However, if the shop assures you the alignment was not affected by this mishap, you could delay the alignment and monitor tire wear and handling carefully. If the car seems to handle exactly as before, and you see no uneven tire wear or feathering of the tread during the next few months, you may be fine without the shop messing with the alignment. The thing that always worries me is some shops do not do a really good job with alignments, and you could end up with them making what may still be a good alignment not so good.

Also, I assume the place that repaired your wheels checked to be sure they had not been distorted in any way by the encounter with the curb. Normally it takes a fairly severe blow to distort a wheel, and I suspect your damage was superficial.

Don't be hard on yourself about this little incident. We all do things we didn't mean to. I could raise the hair on the back of your neck with some of my escapades. But I won't. You have enough on your plate right now.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Good news! All is well with the car! The tire only has minor damage, the wheel came out ok, and the tires did not need balancing. The alignment seemed pretty good, though they were checking against 08 numbers. They thought that I probably should leave it alone.

So I'm going to close this chapter and go back to enjoying my new car. Things happen and then we go back to enjoying life again. That's what I'm going to do!

Thanks for the kind words and the good advice!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Good news! All is well with the car! The tire only has minor damage, the wheel came out ok, and the tires did not need balancing. The alignment seemed pretty good!

To quote the Bard, 'All's well that ends well.' And this ended much better than it looked like it might. It is now officially fun time again!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:52 AM

Additionally, they were equally amazed by the wheels. The drivers side rim took a hit and was very slightly bent. The tire that is on there (the 245 / 45 R18 RS-A) has a special guard in there (because it's a peformace tire) and it apparently took most of the hit and protected the rim. The tire should have spun at around 15 but it was at about 10 with the same weights on it. They were really impressed with this car.

So I have my peace of mind back and am glad that I didn't mess anything up. But I just wanted to be sure because it is so new. It was a minor thing, but to me it seemed so big because it is so new.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Additionally, they were equally amazed by the wheels. The drivers side rim took a hit and was very slightly bent. The tire that is on there (the 245 / 45 R18 RS-A) has a special guard in there (because it's a peformace tire) and it apparently took most of the hit and protected the rim. The tire should have spun at around 15 but it was at about 10 with the same weights on it. They were really impressed with this car.

So I have my peace of mind back and am glad that I didn't mess anything up. But I just wanted to be sure because it is so new. It was a minor thing, but to me it seemed so big because it is so new.
Congrats, glad to hear that you're back on the road and like Nissan said, "Enjoy the Ride"!