Sunroof Wind Deflector - Maxima Forums



7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Sunroof Wind Deflector

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 111
Sunroof Wind Deflector

Is there a need for this part?
Muslenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR
Posts: 339
Only if you want to open the sunroof. Without it the wind noise is very bad.
2young2retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: nebraska/iowa border
Posts: 27
greatly reduces wind noise...
nissandriver777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Greenville, Ohio
Posts: 96
I had one on my Camry and it did greatly reduce the wind and noise. I was going to get one for my Maxima but my current girlfriend doesn't like them so I am holding off. My 2 cents is that they are worth it.
Ohio Maxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
TBA
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 275
Do you mean the standard one the pops up automatically, or an aftermarket one that attaches to the roof?
TBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,205
i gotta say i do not like the way they look on the maximas, my altima had one looked great but for some reason they just dont go with the maximas.
1sik4dsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Love my '09
 
Compusmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,013
Hey Sik, maybe because it REALLY stands out on a white car and that's what you're envisioning. It blends in really well on my black one that unless you're looking, it's "invisible".
Compusmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
Hey Sik, maybe because it REALLY stands out on a white car and that's what you're envisioning. It blends in really well on my black one that unless you're looking, it's "invisible".
true, it probably looks much better on a dark color car
1sik4dsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 68
The black roof contrasting with Winter Frost was what steered me to the premium package. I had actually ordered a Super Black Sport and changed my mind after wandering up to the dealer one night randomly. Not crazy about the way they look open though.. And wish they optioned the 19" wheels as standalone.
pajaha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA View Post
Do you mean the standard one the pops up automatically, or an aftermarket one that attaches to the roof?
THE ONE THAT POPS UP, DOES IT WORK?
Muslenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 217
not much of a purpose other to deflect wind, its a little expensive but it sure make the car look nice!
Kquezada28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:50 AM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajaha1 View Post
The black roof contrasting with Winter Frost was what steered me to the premium package. I had actually ordered a Super Black Sport and changed my mind after wandering up to the dealer one night randomly. Not crazy about the way they look open though.. And wish they optioned the 19" wheels as standalone.
i agree what made me get the sport package was those 19s
1sik4dsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,514
Honestly, I don't really like wind deflectors. I have one on my car because it came with it and I don't want to take it off. Checkout the BMWs, Benzs, Jaguars, Audis, Lexus, Acuras, and other highend sedans with sunroof, more than 90% don't have a wind deflector on the sunroof. Do you guys know why? Figure it out.

Last edited by PetitFrereMaxima; 08-15-2009 at 11:53 AM.
PetitFrereMaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 7,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima View Post
Checkout the BMWs, Benzs, Jaguars, Audis, Lexus, Acuras, and other highend sedans with sunroof, more than 90% don't have a wind deflector on the sunroof. Do you guys know why? Figure it out.

For the same reason those particular cars are seldom seen with rain guards, significantly protruding side molding or large, effective mud flaps: when one moves that far upscale, appearance becomes more important than function.

I have the double roof, so can't add a wind deflector to my '09. This will be the first vehicle I have had without a wind deflector in around thirty years. But if this car had a normal style sunroof, I would have added a wind deflector immediately, unless I had no intention of using the sunroof.

I have added rain guards over the windows, black rubber baffles on both sides of the windshield to block the noise caused by the rain guards, black rubber molding around the wheel well openings to reduce dings, and discreet mud flaps attached to the face of the useless splash guards. I am a firm believer in practicality. I don't think I could ever feel right in a $50K car.
lightonthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 50
If you have a wind deflector, can you post a pic of you car? I'm considering one but I'm afraid it won't look good with my silver maxima.
innofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #16
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
I have a white Maxima with the wind guard, and I honestly don't mind how it looks. It does a fantastic job of cutting down on the wind noise too.
tbail25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightonthehill View Post
For the same reason those particular cars are seldom seen with rain guards, significantly protruding side molding or large, effective mud flaps: when one moves that far upscale, appearance becomes more important than function.

I have the double roof, so can't add a wind deflector to my '09. This will be the first vehicle I have had without a wind deflector in around thirty years. But if this car had a normal style sunroof, I would have added a wind deflector immediately, unless I had no intention of using the sunroof.

I have added rain guards over the windows, black rubber baffles on both sides of the windshield to block the noise caused by the rain guards, black rubber molding around the wheel well openings to reduce dings, and discreet mud flaps attached to the face of the useless splash guards. I am a firm believer in practicality. I don't think I could ever feel right in a $50K car.
Can you post or email some pics of your setup? I prefer having the windows open a little bit, so wind deflectors would help out, but if they produce a lot of wind noise, that's no good either ...

Thanks
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraKhen99 View Post
Can you post or email some pics of your setup? I prefer having the windows open a little bit, so wind deflectors would help out, but if they produce a lot of wind noise, that's no good either ...

Thanks
He doesn't have any wind deflectors....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightonthehill View Post
For the same reason those particular cars are seldom seen with rain guards, significantly protruding side molding or large, effective mud flaps: when one moves that far upscale, appearance becomes more important than function.

I have the double roof, so can't add a wind deflector to my '09. This will be the first vehicle I have had without a wind deflector in around thirty years. But if this car had a normal style sunroof, I would have added a wind deflector immediately, unless I had no intention of using the sunroof.

I have added rain guards over the windows, black rubber baffles on both sides of the windshield to block the noise caused by the rain guards, black rubber molding around the wheel well openings to reduce dings, and discreet mud flaps attached to the face of the useless splash guards. I am a firm believer in practicality. I don't think I could ever feel right in a $50K car.
MaxLoverAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz View Post
He doesn't have any wind deflectors....
Ok, so I mistyped ... how about pics of the RAIN GUARDS on the side windows?
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #20
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
The 2010 come with pop up wind deflector?
I test drove a 2010 with sport package and did not notice a pop up
knish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by knish View Post
The 2010 come with pop up wind deflector?
I test drove a 2010 with sport package and did not notice a pop up
If the car you drove had the dual moonroof, then it has a mesh net that doesn't quite "pop" up, but glides up as the sunroof panel slides up and back.
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by knish View Post
The 2010 come with pop up wind deflector?
I test drove a 2010 with sport package and did not notice a pop up
They all have it and it's worthless. I just ordered a WeatherTech this week, it seems to be a very low profile compared to the OEM unit so I think it might look just fine.
MaxLoverAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15
got one on my 05 corolla..really helps
chrisanthony14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,451
I installed my weathertech today and I like it. I'll take some pictures later this week but I think it looks better than the Nissan OEM unit and was cheaper. I'm going to the movies tonight so I'll open up my sunroof and see how it performs....
MaxLoverAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #25
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz View Post
I installed my weathertech today and I like it. I'll take some pictures later this week but I think it looks better than the Nissan OEM unit and was cheaper. I'm going to the movies tonight so I'll open up my sunroof and see how it performs....
Here you go, love it I can't believe I waited on this for so long now I really enjoy the sun roof....

MaxLoverAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Manhattan Beach, Ca / Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz View Post
Here you go, love it I can't believe I waited on this for so long now I really enjoy the sun roof....

Looks good and very useful, cuts that turbulence noise down big time. Now AZ when are you going to show those pics of that paint touch up kit results??
MONTE 01&97 SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 738
It just too bad they don't make color keyed deflectors because the black stands out against the white body. Not a bad looking car though!
smarty666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 226
How difficult was the installation of the deflector?
Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
How difficult was the installation of the deflector?
SUPER EASY... Just need a phillips head screw driver and about 5-10 minutes.
MaxLoverAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 7,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty666 View Post
It just too bad they don't make color keyed deflectors because the black stands out against the white body. Not a bad looking car though!

This sounds perfectly logical, but years of tinkering with this stuff leads me to feel that a white sunroof wind deflector would not look as good as we might think. A white deflector would be more noticable than the usual smoke-tinted see-thru wind deflectors.

This is the same reason white tires or white wheels or white windshield wiper arms would not look good on a white car; just too much of a good thing.

People EXPECT to see a smoke-colored see-thru sunroof wind deflector, and when that is what is there, it goes practically unnoticed.
lightonthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #31
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Wind Deflector..

I have a 2010 Premium Package Maxima.. the factory wind deflector is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
THE ONE THAT POPS UP, DOES IT WORK?
curtin68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin68 View Post
I have a 2010 Premium Package Maxima.. the factory wind deflector is useless.
I agree - but I think it's because the front panel pops up and slides back rather than dropping down and sliding in between the headliner and the rear glass panel. The Lincoln MKS has the same style of roof (2 glass panels), and it drops down ... the wind noise on that car doesn't get annoying until 70+mph or more.
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 392
I think it is personal preference and the car itself. I had one on my 1992 Max and I have one on my 03. I also have one on my 4Runner, but I don't have one on my 2010 Acura TL because I don't think it would look good.
jspagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #34
Love my '09
 
Compusmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
How difficult was the installation of the deflector?

I installed mine by myself and I was able to do it. I'm an IT guy, the screws were a bit bigger than the ones I'm used to. aka If I can do it, anyone can.....
Compusmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #35
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
I installed mine by myself and I was able to do it. I'm an IT guy, the screws were a bit bigger than the ones I'm used to. aka If I can do it, anyone can.....

Thanks for the positive post on the Weathertech. I purchased one a few weeks ago. I really enjoy it. Very easy intallation as well.
barryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 147
not really useful unless you plan to open your top on the highway.
maxout! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #37
Supporting Maxima.org Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Maxima-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 964
Has anyone had the opportunity to sample both the Nissan and Weatertech on their 7th gen? Im curious if the more sleek and less expensive design may be less effective at reducing the wind noise at speeds.

Thanks in Advance
Maxima-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Red Oak, Texas
Posts: 27
I purchased one on eBay, from a Nissan dealership. It cost me around
$70-75 shipped to my house. I drove without one for about 2 months, and having it greatly reduces the wind noise. I am very pleased with it, installed in under 30 minutes....I would highly recommend it.
RedOakRoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 220


Same thing on black.
alexdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #40
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
do they wind defector for a duel roof premium ??????????????
aspin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX 2010 Nissan Maxima SV Premium Package Fbana41 Maximas for Sale / Wanted 3 08-29-2016 12:18 PM
Found a 1987 MT maxima Forge277 1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) 12 06-13-2016 09:26 PM
Sunroof cover jonreidhead 6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) 3 01-06-2016 09:38 AM
2011 Maxima Sunroof Question bigdogsteve 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) 5 09-30-2015 06:12 PM
Sunroof Problems Vequity 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) 7 09-10-2015 05:26 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 AM.