7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Intetlligent Key Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
You gon' pay what you owe

Intetlligent Key Annoyance

It is a good thing I park my car in a garage at work and at home. Otherwise, people would have a very easy time getting inside of my car. In the three weeks I have owned my car, I have found my front windows rolled down once and my trunk open three times. All of this is due to the fact that Nissan did not think to recess the buttons on the Intelligent Key. What is the easiest way you guys have found to keep this from happening?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM

I would say don't push the buttons. Seriously though, you are going to have to put them in a pocket that doesn't push on the buttons. I usually put the key fob in the little pocket in front of my jeans or if I am at work in my jacket pocket. I do not attach any keys to it though. Maybe someone else has a better idea???
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 AM

I have other keys attached to mine but I use a clip and clip it onto the sides of my pants where the belt loops are. I usually never put it in my pocket cause of that reason. I don't want to find my car unlocked and everything mission out of it when I wake up in the morning and go to school or work, lol.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM

yea this has happened to me quite a few times already but ive learned now to keep my keys in loose pockets
Old 10-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Always use a lanyard to carry the keys around your neck.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM

the worst is when you come home late, park in the garage, and when you get out the panic alarm goes off... at 3 in the morning...
Old 10-12-2009, 04:18 PM

For anyone that has them, do the little rubber protectors help any?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Best bet? Tommy Hilfiger loose jeans, or Ralph Lauren loose jeans, or Chaps loose jeans, or Levi loose jeans, or Paco loose jeans, or Wrangler loose jeans, or Lee loose jeans, or . . . but you get the picture.

If wearing suit pants or slacks, always get the ones with pleats in front; more room, and less pressure on whatever may be in your pocket or jock strap.

Of course I remember when I was young, and how important smooth, trim pants were at that age. Thankfully, I am now much too old to care about looks. When you get my age, nobody looks at you anyway.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Stop wearing skinny jeans Boone!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by DConrad2007
Stop wearing skinny jeans Boone!
Skinny jeans...that's not likely to happen in this lifetime. If anything, they are too loose and I end up partially sitting on the pocket material on the inside of my pants causing me to push the buttons.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Love my '09

I have mine on a mini carabiner and clip it to my belt loop and my shirt goes over the top of it.

I also have a concealed holster with a key loop. In fact, it's soo concealed that the nice leather key loop is all you DO see. I've used that on occasion too.

Not once had an accidental button press. Wife has in her luggage, er, purse....
Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM

How you like your 2010 Boone? I had to go past the dealership today because the technician forgot to put my wheel lock key back in my car, they had a new 2010 on the lot.Looking through the passenger side window I saw all the extra audio features (DVD playback, Divx etc) on the dash and I was impressed. The wheels didn't look any different than the 09's though.Oh well, still a slick car.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i wear a lanyard with my keys, i havent experience that yet..
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Back in the Max

I have my 09 for 1 yr, my 07 max for 2yrs, both intelli keys, not a single problem like that, but I have set off my personal alarm button a few times...
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by boone
For anyone that has them, do the little rubber protectors help any?
We had one on our Altima intelligent key...it helps alot!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by boone
It is a good thing I park my car in a garage at work and at home. Otherwise, people would have a very easy time getting inside of my car. In the three weeks I have owned my car, I have found my front windows rolled down once and my trunk open three times. All of this is due to the fact that Nissan did not think to recess the buttons on the Intelligent Key. What is the easiest way you guys have found to keep this from happening?
I've gotten in the habit of emptying my pockets when I get in the house. Like you, I happened to go outside one day and find my ride unsecured...with the windows down. Since I started emptying my pockets, no more problems.

I don't have to worry about work as my office is a giant Faraday cage but I'm betting my battery life is shortened as the Fob shifts in my pants and gets "sat on!"
+1 for features of the FOB -1 for the lack of button recess!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:03 AM

ive never had a problem with mine. i always put the buttons where itll face my leg. i wear loose jeans though so thats probably why
Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 AM

Here is a thread I had on the same problem awhile back.
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...-activate.html
Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
We had one on our Altima intelligent key...it helps alot!
What do these rubber protectors look like, and where can we get them?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM

This is really sad. It's not about recessing the buttons, but making them harder to press would have solved this. My Infiniti M35x had the same key fob, but not once have I accidentally popped the trunk, opened the doors or rolled down the window with that key fob.

I have to double and triple check to make sure the windows aren't rolled down overnight.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM

I found these on the net. I just ordered 3. It should at least make the buttons not as easy to activate by mistake.
In case anybody else wants to try them. Here is the URL. http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...y-Cover/Detail

Last edited by 09Maxima_Sam; 10-13-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Here is another picture from...
http://www.keyless-remotes.com/-strs...Key/Detail.bok

$2.00 higher, but a better pic at the least.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Best bet? Tommy Hilfiger loose jeans, or Ralph Lauren loose jeans, or Chaps loose jeans, or Levi loose jeans, or Paco loose jeans, or Wrangler loose jeans, or Lee loose jeans, or . . . but you get the picture.

If wearing suit pants or slacks, always get the ones with pleats in front; more room, and less pressure on whatever may be in your pocket or jock strap.

Of course I remember when I was young, and how important smooth, trim pants were at that age. Thankfully, I am now much too old to care about looks. When you get my age, nobody looks at you anyway.
Hey Light - would leisure suits work? Maybe they'll come back yet!!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Hey Light - would leisure suits work? Maybe they'll come back yet!!

I tried two of my old leisure suits (from the 1970s), and got no accidental triggering of the remote. But when I tried my Nehru suit (from the 1960s), my Hart Shaeffner and Marx suit (from the 1950s) and my Zoot suit (from the 1940s), I had accidental remote triggering with both. The safest suit by far was my birthday suit (from the 1930s).

I feel there are two problems with this remote:

1 - It uses very sensitive 'touch' buttons. They activate far too easily. I could easily operate them with my tongue. I would have much preferred a positive action button that required a clear and firm force for triggering. But then Nissan never asked me what I thought.

2 - The buttons are not recessed. That would not solve all problems, but would help.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM

I tried two of my old leisure suits (from the 1970s), and got no accidental triggering of the remote. But when I tried my Nehru suit (from the 1960s), my Hart Shaeffner and Marx suit (from the 1950s) and my Zoot suit (from the 1940s), I had accidental remote triggering with both. The safest suit by far was my birthday suit (from the 1930s).

1 - It uses very sensitive 'touch' buttons. They activate far too easily. I could easily operate them with my tongue. I would have much preferred a positive action button that required a clear and firm force for triggering. But then Nissan never asked me what I thought.

2 - The buttons are not recessed. That would not solve all problems, but would help.
LOL..I can't even get one leg in my Nehru!
Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DConrad2007
How you like your 2010 Boone? I had to go past the dealership today because the technician forgot to put my wheel lock key back in my car, they had a new 2010 on the lot.Looking through the passenger side window I saw all the extra audio features (DVD playback, Divx etc) on the dash and I was impressed. The wheels didn't look any different than the 09's though.Oh well, still a slick car.
I love it. Best car I have owned yet. A friend of mine got in the car and could not believe all of the multimedia options there are. Now he is considering a Maxima.

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
I found these on the net. I just ordered 3. It should at least make the buttons not as easy to activate by mistake.
In case anybody else wants to try them. Here is the URL. http://www.thejacketstore.com/servle...y-Cover/Detail

These are the ones I saw also. I'm going to put in an order.

I don't want to know where you keep the remote while in your birthday suit.

Seriously, I agree with the two problems you pointed out. When I had a Clifford alarm in my '05 Maxima, there was no such thing as an accidental button press because they were recessed and required more pressure. Heck, even the buttons on the remote for my dad's Impala are done better. Unfortunately they'll probably stop working all together once the warranty is up.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
Here is another picture from...
http://www.keyless-remotes.com/-strs...Key/Detail.bok

$2.00 higher, but a better pic at the least.
Awesome find and this company is just down the road from me....
Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How well do the key covers fit? If they are loose there may be an increased likelihood that a button is pressed since the cover will be moving around and contact a button. If people have not experienced this being an issue I would be inclined to purchase a few.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM

No cover can totally keep the buttons from getting accidentally pressed.

Heres another alternative to the rubber ones:

www.activetechdesigns.com

It would be very cool if Nissan created a way to manually disable the i-key buttons. They are really not needed.

Last edited by terrycs; 10-15-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Becks
How well do the key covers fit? If they are loose there may be an increased likelihood that a button is pressed since the cover will be moving around and contact a button. If people have not experienced this being an issue I would be inclined to purchase a few.
I will let you guys know, after I get mine.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 AM

I wonder if they still will fit in the "key slot" with the cover on? Granted, I only use the key slot when I drop my max at the detailer's shop, but might be nice if I can minimize the inconvienence (as opposed to trying to remember where I put the key!!)
Old 10-14-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
I wonder if they still will fit in the "key slot" with the cover on? Granted, I only use the key slot when I drop my max at the detailer's shop, but might be nice if I can minimize the inconvienence (as opposed to trying to remember where I put the key!!)
The keyslot is more or less a perfect fit. Any cover on the ikey will need to be removed.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
No they won't. I weighed that in my decision before ordering. My wife wanted some for her 2006 Saturn Vue. So at least if it don't work out for me, the wife will be happy. ...And if the wife stays happy, I stay happy.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Talk about karma.....I was reading this thread yesterday and chuckling, not so much at your guys expense but, just at the fact that I have never had this problem what so ever and I wear both tight a loose fitting pants and I couldn't figure out how you guys managed to accomplish this incredible feat. So anyways, yesterday was the first day we actually got snow here in Calgary that stuck around. I approached my car after a long days work and low and behold! My windows were partially rolled down and had a bit of snow in my car. Now I am also thinking of a cover to prevent this from happening again. I guess it only takes one time.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
Talk about karma.....I was reading this thread yesterday and chuckling, not so much at your guys expense but, just at the fact that I have never had this problem what so ever and I wear both tight a loose fitting pants and I couldn't figure out how you guys managed to accomplish this incredible feat. So anyways, yesterday was the first day we actually got snow here in Calgary that stuck around. I approached my car after a long days work and low and behold! My windows were partially rolled down and had a bit of snow in my car. Now I am also thinking of a cover to prevent this from happening again. I guess it only takes one time.
That's what happens when you think everyone else is crazy. I'm glad your windows were not down further.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone,
I'm glad I found this thread, I had no idea that the fob can open the windows. I woke up today with my windows half down and thought wth was I thinking when I locked the car yesterday.

Is there a way to disable this functionality all together? That window opening feature is pretty dangerous specially with bad weather.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by terrycs
The keyslot is more or less a perfect fit. Any cover on the ikey will need to be removed.
+1

I doubt that after putting a cover on that it will fit in that slot... To be honest I usually never use that slot anyways. I usually clip my key onto my pants and its pretty much always there.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by samita
Hello everyone,
I'm glad I found this thread, I had no idea that the fob can open the windows. I woke up today with my windows half down and thought wth was I thinking when I locked the car yesterday.

Is there a way to disable this functionality all together? That window opening feature is pretty dangerous specially with bad weather.
No known way to disable it. Another reason I am getting the covers.

One good thing - If you accidentally unlock your car from an accidental push of the intelligent key, the car will automatically re-lock itself after one minute if it detects no door opening.
However it will not automatically close the windows back up, OR close the trunk lid for you. Which is what I seem to accidentally set off the most. I guess I could turn off the Trunk Release Cancel Switch in the glove box, but that may be just as bothersome then.

Last edited by 09Maxima_Sam; 10-15-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:10 AM

I had a 2006 G35 coupe for almost four years, and never had a problem with the intelli-key.

Had my Max for two weeks, came out of the gym to see all of my windows completely down. Two days after that incident, I set off the panic feature @ 4:30 a.m. getting ready to leave for work. Definately a button sensitivity issue.

Nice find on the covers, I may have to get one myself.

Quick Reply: Intetlligent Key Annoyance