7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car doesnt shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 AM

car doesnt shut down

im not sure if theres a thread like this I checked and didnt find any thing.

ok so when you start the car and u have the key fob in your pocket and you run inside to grab something why doesnt the car cut off once the key is gone a certain distance from it. I mean any one can jump in your car and drive away. I think nissan should fix this so if the key fob is more than like 50 feet away it cuts off
Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by djdavebse
im not sure if theres a thread like this I checked and didnt find any thing.

ok so when you start the car and u have the key fob in your pocket and you run inside to grab something why doesnt the car cut off once the key is gone a certain distance from it. I mean any one can jump in your car and drive away. I think nissan should fix this so if the key fob is more than like 50 feet away it cuts off
Or when you battery in the keyfob suddenly dies when you're cruising at 70 mph on a highway and your car "thinks" that a keyfob is more than 50 feet away... Then what?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by ololly
Or when you battery in the keyfob suddenly dies when you're cruising at 70 mph on a highway and your car "thinks" that a keyfob is more than 50 feet away... Then what?

im not sure if u know this but soon as the key fob battery goes down a little bit or half way they warn you on the display screen in the car thats its low and you should change it
Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Buyers beware, local pick up recommended. Slow to ship out items already paid for.

if its like the muranos when the key is a certain distance away the car will stay running but as soon as someone steps on the brake to put it in drive the car will shut off...thats what im told. try it
Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by cwfalconfootbal
if its like the muranos when the key is a certain distance away the car will stay running but as soon as someone steps on the brake to put it in drive the car will shut off...thats what im told. try it

yea i tried that and the car drives without the key fob inside
Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Buyers beware, local pick up recommended. Slow to ship out items already paid for.

thats stupid lol...there goes my theory.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 AM

Just lock the doors I guess...

I think nissan should fix this so if the key fob is more than like 50 feet away it cuts off
This question was answered by this...

I just lock my doors and keep a watchful eye if I have to run back in the house or out the car quickly

Unfortunately, what I thought was a solution was shut down by reading the manual.

How to arm the vehicle security system

● Even when the driver and/or passengers are in the vehicle, the system will activate with all the doors, hood and trunk lid locked with the ignition switch placed in the LOCK position. When placing the ignition switch in the ACC or ON position, the system will be released.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM

I think this is one of those things that I don't understand why you need a computer to figure out for you. Would you leave your car running with the doors unlocked if it was a key ignition? If I had to run inside why wouldn't I shut the car off first? I also agree that even with warning at all the risk of some sort of communication error between the fob causing your car to shut off while you are actually driving is greater than the risk of someone jumping in and taking it.

The other solution and the one I do if for some reason I don't want to turn off and on the car because of a few seconds, I just lock the doors.

And whoever steals your car better drive straight to the chop shop because the instant he turns it off, that's it.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM

Right, but the problem with that logic is that joe dirt isn't going to think like that, they're just going to walk away and forget the security risk. If he needed to get keys from the ignition to open the door, security problem solved. But in this case with these cars, they actually open up the opportunity for people to misjudge and make a mistake. Especially when you drop the car off at either valet or a mechanic's shop.

Here's the one that pissed me off to no end when it happened. I dropped the car off for an Oil change, old boy when he's done, parks it and doesn't turn the ignition all the way off...and despite the beebeebee, walks away. Now, anyone could just walk up to the car that he left unlocked and drive off, since the ignition switch was already unlocked, it will start.

There should be a fail safe that you can't go from aux to run or start without the key, or at least an coil cutoff or something so that this retard doesn't get my car stolen while I'm trusting him with it. As far as he knew, keys were inside, no chance someone could drive off without them...

Of course I told them of the problem, and hope they fix it by advising all the mechs, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM

yea I see what u guys saying about locking it if you leave it unattended but still the car shut cut off or atleast make it so when u press the brakes it shut off or it doesnt shift once the key not inside. lexus has this feature once you start the car and you leave it with the key it will shut off
Old 10-29-2010, 11:03 AM

I just looked it up and it's illegal to have your engine running unattended.

I wonder if anyone ever got a ticket for using remote start
Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Right, but the problem with that logic is that joe dirt isn't going to think like that, they're just going to walk away and forget the security risk. If he needed to get keys from the ignition to open the door, security problem solved. But in this case with these cars, they actually open up the opportunity for people to misjudge and make a mistake. Especially when you drop the car off at either valet or a mechanic's shop.

Here's the one that pissed me off to no end when it happened. I dropped the car off for an Oil change, old boy when he's done, parks it and doesn't turn the ignition all the way off...and despite the beebeebee, walks away. Now, anyone could just walk up to the car that he left unlocked and drive off, since the ignition switch was already unlocked, it will start.

There should be a fail safe that you can't go from aux to run or start without the key, or at least an coil cutoff or something so that this retard doesn't get my car stolen while I'm trusting him with it. As far as he knew, keys were inside, no chance someone could drive off without them...

Of course I told them of the problem, and hope they fix it by advising all the mechs, but I'm not holding my breath.
I agree with the point about being in aux and being able to start it. That should not happen. There is definitely a lot to be desired from the push start. I also don't like that if I turn the ignition off I have to press the button again to go to acc. In my van the radio can be running and I shut off the van without disturbing the radio. With the max I have to shut off and press it again. I was thinking that there should be a timed feature. If the key is out of range for lets say 5 minutes it will turn off. During this time it will display and annoying and repeating warning. So if you are in the car and the remote isn't working you have time to do something about it. If you have walked away the car will shut off.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
There should be a fail safe that you can't go from aux to run or start without the key
As far as I know, you can't. If you switch the car to on or ACC, it will stay on with or without the key. But in order to start the engine, you will need the key. Otherwise, if you step on the break and the start button, you will get a "No Key" warning on the dash. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means
Old 10-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by hamzer11
I also don't like that if I turn the ignition off I have to press the button again to go to acc. In my van the radio can be running and I shut off the van without disturbing the radio. With the max I have to shut off and press it again.
Just double tap the button and the car will go straight to acc. mode. and the engine will shut off.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by hamzer11
I was thinking that there should be a timed feature. If the key is out of range for lets say 5 minutes it will turn off. During this time it will display and annoying and repeating warning. So if you are in the car and the remote isn't working you have time to do something about it. If you have walked away the car will shut off.
yea thats something what im talking about it should have a feature like this
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by AbleRiot
As far as I know, you can't. If you switch the car to on or ACC, it will stay on with or without the key. But in order to start the engine, you will need the key. Otherwise, if you step on the break and the start button, you will get a "No Key" warning on the dash. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means

You are right...thats what mine does.

Recently I had to change my battery in the Key Fob because it died after I got to work. No I did not get any warning on my Dash telling me that the battery was dying or anything close to it.
I replaced the battery and it works fine.
Sometimes while Im driving it's like the Key Fob cuts out and that "No Key" warning flashes on my dash until I move or shake the fob. Almost like it falls asleep or something.

I have a real LOVE/HATE relationship with this keyless technology.......
Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaxDrive81
You are right...thats what mine does.

Recently I had to change my battery in the Key Fob because it died after I got to work. No I did not get any warning on my Dash telling me that the battery was dying or anything close to it.
I replaced the battery and it works fine.
Sometimes while Im driving it's like the Key Fob cuts out and that "No Key" warning flashes on my dash until I move or shake the fob. Almost like it falls asleep or something.

I have a real LOVE/HATE relationship with this keyless technology.......

really?

my cousins altima gave him a warning on the dash when the battery on the key fob was dying
Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM
FHP

A few weeks back, I was driving with the family and i asked my wife to put my keys in her purse. Well, we got home and my swife says that we need some milk. She goes inisde with the kids and I drive off not remembering my keys are in her purse. I drive about 4 miles to the local grocery store, shut teh car off and go to grab my keys...no keys. Try explaing to someone that you cant leave because you dont have your keys, and they say you must of had them earlier to drive here...keys will stay with me going forward.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by FHP
A few weeks back, I was driving with the family and i asked my wife to put my keys in her purse. Well, we got home and my swife says that we need some milk. She goes inisde with the kids and I drive off not remembering my keys are in her purse. I drive about 4 miles to the local grocery store, shut teh car off and go to grab my keys...no keys. Try explaing to someone that you cant leave because you dont have your keys, and they say you must of had them earlier to drive here...keys will stay with me going forward.
but on the dash doesnt the car say "key" with the pic? mine does
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 PM

I agree with all on the need for some feature but the real problem with this is that in my case I shut my car off in the garage and started the car and it ran for some time before I noticed it. Luckily the door was open and I was outside, can you imagine if you leave your car running and the its not the same outcome? I mean we need to exercise common sense but if it can start from a far it should be able to determine if it should shut down with some type of beep prompt. It knows when you leave the car so it should shut down if the car is in park and the key is out of range. With more and more cars joining the push button band wagon this type of talk will be more common than key cars.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:32 PM

i think maybe what it should do, is not necesarilly SHUT DOWN without the key....but it shouldn't be able to be put in gear or reverse....meanwhile displaying the "no key" warning on the dash.....

there are times that i start my car in the garage and i've forgotten something inside so i run back inside to get it...meanwhile my car is warming up and i got the AC running to get it nice and cold....if i went 50ft and the car shut off, that would defeat the purpose of leaving it running to warm up/get ac cold....
Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM

im not sure if u know this but soon as the key fob battery goes down a little bit or half way they warn you on the display screen in the car thats its low and you should change it
Yeah... people pay attention to all those warning lights on the dash all the time! /sarcasm.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM

Toyota's and Lexus's are the same way.. I am sure it is normal, even though it doesnt make sense. I work for a Toyota dealership and we had a customer drive his Prius in for service. He shut the car off and then realized the key was not there.. Car could not be started, he had to go home and get the key.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Yeah... people pay attention to all those warning lights on the dash all the time! /sarcasm.

Especially the tire pressure light
Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Not for nothing, but since cars don't generally drive themselves at 70 mph the computer would realize there was someone at the wheel, dead FOB battery or not. Having the engine cut off when the FOB is 50ft away and in PARK may be reasonable.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 AM

I am vehemently against the computer turning off my car. The last thing I need is for me to try to accelerate or take evasive action and the computer decides it can no longer detect my key. Nor would I like to risk innocent lives in the unlikely happenstance that someone took my car whilst idling and the car cutoff in an unsafe instance.

No, for the sake of all that is sane, let us NOT go there.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

this really sounds like the key is needed to "start" the car but not run the car. so for the engine to start it needs the "OK" signal from the key fob. once it's started it will stay running until you press the button to turn it off. then after that you need the key fob again to start it.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Why don't we all just go back to the days of having to use a key to open the door and start the ignition? That way no one can complain! We're getting too spoiled based on these comments - how about we get a machine to do everything for us instead! C'mon guys! Love what you have with this amazing car and just drive it. If it can't do something that means it is NOT meant to do it so stop asking for it. I mean, you did get the car in the first place
Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by AbleRiot
Why don't we all just go back to the days of having to use a key to open the door and start the ignition? That way no one can complain! We're getting too spoiled based on these comments - how about we get a machine to do everything for us instead! C'mon guys! Love what you have with this amazing car and just drive it. If it can't do something that means it is NOT meant to do it so stop asking for it. I mean, you did get the car in the first place
The need for new innovation and improvement is a constant. Without that, we would still be driving Model Ts!!! I don't think anyone is refuting that the features we have aren't good, or that the 7th Gens aren't great rides, but rather that there is always room for some improvement (although some of the suggestions iterated in this thread scare the heck out of me, there may be better ideas or alternatives out there!!) For example, I really enjoy the fact that I can't lock my keys in the car any longer (yeah, it happened once upon a time!)
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
The need for new innovation and improvement is a constant. Without that, we would still be driving Model Ts!!! I don't think anyone is refuting that the features we have aren't good, or that the 7th Gens aren't great rides, but rather that there is always room for some improvement (although some of the suggestions iterated in this thread scare the heck out of me, there may be better ideas or alternatives out there!!) For example, I really enjoy the fact that I can't lock my keys in the car any longer (yeah, it happened once upon a time!)
I'm not denying the need for newer technology - I mean, that's how we ended up with what we have now -ideas coming to fruition. But at some point, we have to realize the limitations of what we currently have at this time. Otherwise we should be driving something else - say a Mercedes S550 that practically drives the car for you (Where's the fun in that )
Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by DanNY
this really sounds like the key is needed to "start" the car but not run the car. so for the engine to start it needs the "OK" signal from the key fob. once it's started it will stay running until you press the button to turn it off. then after that you need the key fob again to start it.
Correct. And Nissan placed the responsibility on the DRIVER to know this and have said key fob with them.

When you leave your vehicle with someone else, it's also the driver's responsibility to educate that person so they don't screw up either.

If you leave your car running and the doors unlocked and someone drives away with it, don't blame Nissan for NOT including a feature, but blame yourself for NOT knowing the limitations of the technology.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Correct. And Nissan placed the responsibility on the DRIVER to know this and have said key fob with them.

When you leave your vehicle with someone else, it's also the driver's responsibility to educate that person so they don't screw up either.

If you leave your car running and the doors unlocked and someone drives away with it, don't blame Nissan for NOT including a feature, but blame yourself for NOT knowing the limitations of the technology.
yea you have a point but if u leave ur car to warm up and have the door unlock with out the keyfob inside dont u think they should at least have a feature so you cant shift into gears? until you step inside the car and if ur driving and it ''loses signal'' from the key fob it will stay in what ever gear its in but only in Park the feature applys
Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 PM

I don't think anyone is blaming Nissan for what we as drivers are responsible for. We're pointing out what could be done differently. It's dialog like this that eventually gets worked into the technology of future vehicles...
Old 11-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Love my '09

For the future yes but it's not going to be retro'd into the cars we have now.

Anyone know if Nissan has a suggestion box? I know they're not watching the forum.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:13 PM

I agree with this 100%. You can't blame Nissan if someone drives away in your car because you left it on and unlocked. Should Nissan have prevented this from the get go? Sure. But did they? No. There should be no need to ever have this situation arise.

I had to go to the grocery store to grab some milk and I forgot to lock the door to my house. Someone simpley opened the door and took some of my possesions. Why didn't my house lock when clearly I was not in it?

Last edited by Mreim769; 11-04-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Love my '09

... but if u leave ur car to warm up and have the door unlock...
WHY in the heck would you start your car, leave it unlocked and walk away? I live in an AWESOME neighborhood and trust my neighbors and still would NEVER do that....

If you're capable of opening the door, starting it, getting out, closing the door and walking back inside, how hard is it to press the button on the door handle after you get out????
Old 11-07-2010, 02:27 PM

I just turn my car off and lock my doors. That way I know that no one will be getting in it....