7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control and E-Brake lights randomly coming on

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Traction Control and E-Brake lights randomly coming on

Anyone else an issue with the traction control (VDC) light and/or the e-brake light coming on randomly while driving? Seems to have started happening after I used tap-in connectors to connect my load resistors for the LED turn signals. Hesitant to take it directly to Nissan just yet cause I have a feeling they'll tell me to take that stuff off. Any idea what I can check, or if you don't think it's related?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 AM

i do have the same thing going on and i didnt connect anything lol and i been told that it may be some sensor acting like after the snow
Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
TBA

Check your brake fluid level and top off if low. Several members, including myself, had the same issues. Topping off the brake fluid resolved it.

My symptoms were also random at first, then a pattern become evident; the lights would come on more during turns and dips (where the fluid would slosh in the reservoir).

FYI, the owner's manual says one cause of the BRAKE light being on is low brake fluid.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Having the same problem bringing it in to nissan on monday
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by krup27t
Having the same problem bringing it in to nissan on monday
I'm going to try to top off the brake fluid, but let us all know what Nissan says about your problem please! It's not a big deal but I would like it to be working correctly.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 PM

same issue with mine - dealer said pads were fine - topped off fluid and no more issues.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lanzz
same issue with mine - dealer said pads were fine - topped off fluid and no more issues.
This happened once with my car about two years ago (when it was fairly new). Has not happened since.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Its your brake fluid; basically what it means is that its time for a break job....
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Its your brake fluid; basically what it means is that its time for a break job....
That would normally be the case. But most of these 7th gen Maxima incidents happen the first year of the car's life, and once fluid is added, do not happen again.

Mine happened just like Lanzz's (3 posts back) did, with no brake pad problem involved. My pads were only a month old when it happened, and still have very little wear two years later. I usually get between 50K and 60K miles on my Maximas before needing brake work.

There is something in the brake system of these 7th gens that expands or changes in a way that allows the fluid level to sink with no wear on the brake pads involved. But once fluid is added the first time, the problem does not happen again.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM

I'm guessing brakes pads/rotors aren't covered by warranty since they're wear and tear? I'll probably just take it to my personal mechanic then and have him do the work if I need anything beyond brake fluid.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by danielevans83
I'm guessing brakes pads/rotors aren't covered by warranty since they're wear and tear? I'll probably just take it to my personal mechanic then and have him do the work if I need anything beyond brake fluid.
Unless something goes wrong the first 12K miles, brake pads are rotors are generally considered 'wear and tear' items.

Unless you are driving in city traffic, or are hard on your brakes, you shouldn't have to do any major brake work the first 40 to 60K miles. I usually have to have mine reworked around 55K, but then I am easy on my brakes.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Unless something goes wrong the first 12K miles, brake pads are rotors are generally considered 'wear and tear' items.

Unless you are driving in city traffic, or are hard on your brakes, you shouldn't have to do any major brake work the first 40 to 60K miles. I usually have to have mine reworked around 55K, but then I am easy on my brakes.
I'm ~25,000 miles, should I just have to do brake pads? I've read a few other threads on here where members say their back brakes went out prematurely because this car is designed to brake more with the back axle to prevent nosediving or something. My mechanic said my back brakes would need work soon when he inspected the car for me so I assumed he meant brakes/rotors but if it seems early for rotors I'll hold off on buying the replacement parts. Was gonna just order some rear rotors/pads now so I had them ready.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 PM

same thing is happening to my car now, Im going to top off the brake fluid hopefully it works, seems like thats the fix
Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 1sik4dsc
same thing is happening to my car now, Im going to top off the brake fluid hopefully it works, seems like thats the fix
+1 exact same deal. Noticed it first a couple weeks ago when i was spinning and the lights stayed on went off after a restart this happened twice. Since then it has occured again under normal driving conditions. Plus my EBC redstuff pads will be here tomorrow.

Dan

EDIT: WHO WANTS TO MAKE ME A NEW SIGNATURE? lol.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks guy, you nailed it. Topping off the brake fluid fixed the issue with these lights coming on. I'm at ~25,000 miles but my rear brakes sometimes make a noise now and they needed servicing soon so I had them machined and installed some EBC greenstuff pads on both rear brakes. Still in the break-in period so haven't had a chance to really test the new pads but just loving that the lights went off so far.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem. just started about 3 weeks ago. The dealer ship was no help, as the light had gone out and the computer did not show a record of the light being on. searching in internet give a little information. seems we may have low brake fluid, mine show just above minimum.
can anyone tell us if that is a fix?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by daleschott
I have the same problem. just started about 3 weeks ago. The dealer ship was no help, as the light had gone out and the computer did not show a record of the light being on. searching in internet give a little information. seems we may have low brake fluid, mine show just above minimum.
can anyone tell us if that is a fix?
If your brake fluid is just above minimum, then that will soon be causing the VDC and brake warning lights on your dash to light up, and may well be what is causing them to light up already.

Bring the brake fluid level up to the full mark (I always try to keep mine at or near full), and I bet your problem disappears.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:22 PM

Yup, that did the trick for me. I was extremely skeptical as my reservoir was half way between min and max but it worked. Good job guys 👍
Old 01-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys I'm new to the site. Wanted to let you know, my brake fluid was down to the low line, and once i filled it up it was G2G. Thanks for the help!

I have a 2011 SV with 56K