7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

maintaining your super black paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by maxxxxspeed
GUESSES AND FALSE INFORMATION DO NOT HELP THE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM. Fact and truthfulness do. Posting just to post information that you may not know for fact does not help members.

... if I KNEW I was right I would defend it ... until I was proven wrong I would stand by my opinion.
Does anyone else see the problem with these two statements?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Your paint looks great BlackMax. I would agree with you that you have no significant swirling in your paint at least from what I can see in the pics.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Glenns25
Your paint looks great BlackMax. I would agree with you that you have no significant swirling in your paint at least from what I can see in the pics.
Thanks!!! I tried to take a bunch of different pics at different angles. I sure can't see any when I look at it even close in person. But then again i do a whole detail on it twice a year. I always figure that I spent a lot of money on this car. I want to keep it looking as good as new!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Looks like I'm getting Zaino geez that looks great
Old 04-11-2011, 05:53 AM

I really have been impressed with Zaino. I'm not saying that everything else is junk. I feel it's the best stuff I have used. It has worked great for me in other words.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 AM

Looks great....

Your not close enough but on to a new subject...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Hey thanks maxspeed.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Joey D
I always use sandpaper to get the heavy particles off...then a finer sandpaper to get smaller dirt. If you still have dirt on your car - flathead screwdrivers have all the wedging power you will need to pick it off....or the backend of a hammer. It's a very nice. To dry I always use my wife's sister and wipe her back on the car - we all know she has the hairiest back in armenia. Her hair absorb like sponge.
Hahahahaha!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 AM

i've got the crimson black

it's a shame seeing those little thin scratches going along some parts of the car so easily on a black car in the sun
Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Well Maxspeed, I did swirl my paint!!! After about 2.5 years of washing it had just a few swirls. Now the Z5 Zaino did actually cover it up a bit. I was suprised. Sorry no pics of it. They were really faint. Now what cause this was my own fault. I used a very very soft bath towel to dry the car. This towel was 100% cotton. DON'T DO THIS IF YOU ARE!!!! But that is just the fibers, not including the backing or what holds the towel together. That is almost never 100% cotton. And that is what will cause swirls. And as you all know black shows it all!

This was my own fault. They car looked great from 5 feet and farther, even in direct sunlight, but up close I could see those small micro swirls. Most people couldn't tell what I was talking about, but Im nuts and want my car perfect. I only did use the brush wash not too often in the winter. I say I hand wash the car 95% of the time

Anyway I had a proper detail company come out. I did my research, most will just put a coat of wax on, that will hide the micro swirls for about 3 weeks, then they will come back.

So a company came out and did a 'very minor paint correction' on it. He spent from 8:30AM to 3:30PM on it. Guy said the car looked great for black, but he can make it look even better. He did a Fantastic job. I really wish I would have gotten before pics. He 1st washed and clayed the car. He then used a mild polish and very mild cut pad and went over it with one pass. Then followed it up with a synthetic sealant. I will now go over it with Zaino! The depth is back where it should be.

And I now know what pics you wanted max! You have to get directly over it in direct sun or a flash.

But whoever is using bath towel, DONT!!! I used very good ones that were 100% cotton. I now have ordered the proper microfiber towels.

Anyway pics to come later. Just wanted to pass down what I have learned!

Jerry, the only way to stop this is to correct it or remove the micro swirls. It can be done, but either know what you are doing, or do what I did and get someone who does. And make sure you keep the swirls at bay, that means high quality micro fiber and careful washing and drying procedures!

Last edited by 2010BlackMax; 04-02-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:01 PM

As a newbie who just got his Max last week, I'm so glad old threads like this get necro'd around here. I learned so much from it. My car has TONS of swirls! It's awful. It's so bad in spots that I was concerned it might have been painted. I was assured by two trusted people that it was just a bad detail job. It came to me that way though, nothing I did. I need to take it to a pro and have them fix it. What should I tell them I need when I call? Any special requests I should make besides "Fix the swirls!"?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

I would not buy another car that is not black, had a silver car when I was a teen and if something happens and you need a panel repainted...forget about it ever matching, you will ALWAYS know. That drove me nuts, the black, can't tell at all if something unfortunate happens. So what its harder to keep clean, I dont think its that big of a deal to be honest, even when the car technically isnt clean it still shines though.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Buckeye
As a newbie who just got his Max last week, I'm so glad old threads like this get necro'd around here. I learned so much from it. My car has TONS of swirls! It's awful. It's so bad in spots that I was concerned it might have been painted. I was assured by two trusted people that it was just a bad detail job. It came to me that way though, nothing I did. I need to take it to a pro and have them fix it. What should I tell them I need when I call? Any special requests I should make besides "Fix the swirls!"?
Here is the link to the shop I used! http://www.kcdetailing.com/

You want to have a 'paint correction' done. They will chose the proper polish/compound and the proper pad for the job. Basically one that will remove just the swirls or damage, without taking off too much. Just do your research and ask questions. I spent $300 on mine. Which was a great deal considering he was there almost all day.

Here are some sites to check out too. Tons and tons of reading
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/auto-detailing-101/
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

sorry no pics today, its cloudy.