7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Mods to increase pur max performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM

Best Mods to increase pur max performance ?

Guys,
What are the best mods for increasing the performance in our maxs?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Oby20
Guys,
What are the best mods for increasing the performance in our maxs?
Thanks in advance
Eibach spring drop should be near if not on the top of this list.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Nice I already got those. What mods have you done to your max ?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Got Retrofit?

Nitrous!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Y pipe and catback is where its at.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 PM

exhaust and intake

tho intake is debatable
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 AM

i didnt really see a big change in performance until i had most of my mods done. single handedly though i noticed the following two the most by themselves in terms in power:

CXJ Intake manifold spacers
Stillen UD pulley
Old 09-20-2012, 06:32 AM

Ghozt,

How hard was to install the Stillen UD Pulley in a terms from 1-10. Also, I heard that the belt its not really strong that it goes bad pretty fast. Have you had any problems with the belt ? I'm considering this as my next mod.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 AM

if you want a car with better performance and what max has isnt good enough then the best mod is = a different/faster car....
sorry to burst your bubble but there are no mods out there that will drastically "mod" your car...
in my opinion the car's intake and exhaust is already maximized for the peak performance....so changing those actually has negative effect ( from my own experience)
So in summary all mods available now fall into "cosmetic" mods only, for me
Old 09-20-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by eesjunin
if you want a car with better performance and what max has isnt good enough then the best mod is = a different/faster car....
sorry to burst your bubble but there are no mods out there that will drastically "mod" your car...
in my opinion the car's intake and exhaust is already maximized for the peak performance....so changing those actually has negative effect ( from my own experience)
Interesting. I am not modding anything (except cosmetic) for the first 120K miles. I bought a CPO and then added the Nissan "wrap" which is bumper to bumper out to 120K miles. After 120K...who knows

It should be paid off by 120K miles (or close to it). Once I own it...I'll probably trade it in towards a 2018 Maxima...
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 AM

^ modded grille gave me +50 HP gains...and the rear window spoiler reduced my drag by half! ~> just as true as any of the mods disclaimers
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Nice I already got those. What mods have you done to your max ?
Y-pipe and K&N panel filter (holding off until a true aftermarket cold air intake becomes available).
Custom exhaust is down the road aways.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM

EesJunin,

I'm not looking for a drastically add on in performance to my car. Don't get me wrong I love my car since the day I bought it and my feelings have never change. I've own my max for almost 8 months now and I entertain every single minute I go for a ride. However, I'm just looking to get better performance to take a G37 sedan non modded. Now, between us, do you guys think that would be possible ? I mean the thing is that my best friend its very competitive and he bought a G37 so now he is making fun of my car saying that's not fast as his, and the mods don't do anything to our max because they are slow ( which isn't true ) . Whatever, I just want to have the pleasure of smoke him and shut up his mouth. Once again, this is the best car I ever had and I'm planning to keep it for 5 years lmao. Btw Essjunin I love the mods you've done to your car. Mine its a White Max as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 AM

^ He is right in some sense...they are slow in comparison to G37, but fast against saaaaay Smart for two
In all aspects, you can do all them mods for minimal to negative gains...i think besides UDP there is really nothing that will make you jump in HP...I believe that even if there will be some bolt on's the problem will be the CVT...anywho..if you got money, strip the max off the engine and tranny and throw in the gtr stuff...now that will be a screamer! google a pro shop near you and ask them what they can do for you! remapping might be the costliest but the best alternative to any of the "part" mods...I used to have a Merc C Rieger and when they remapped it that car came alive, thats the first thing i did is inquire with them about the max, but other than GTRs they didnt remap...
Thanks for the compliments!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM

listen, i am not trying to discourage you from doing any of these pop mods that people have done...but want to make you aware of the end results...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 AM

EssJunin,
Thanks so much for your advice brother. Now, that you tell me all that I'm seeing things differently. You are right. BTW I'm sorry for being so naive, English its not my native language what does UDP means ??? is that Stillen Pulley ?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 AM

No problem...english isnt my native language either ....UDP=under drive pulley...Stillen is company that makes it ( founded by Steve Millen hence Stillen )
Go to their site and and they have pretty much all thats offered for out cars...Deff post pics when you start "modding" its always fun to see other's expressions of style Good luck!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks brother sure I will.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM

All respect to eesjunin, but I've got to disagree, a little bit. It is true that our cars have some big limitations such as the cvt, the weight, etc. And that makes our cars less than ideal for modding and tuning. But that doesn't mean that doing so is a waste of time/money. I'm just getting started with my car, and my first real mod made a very noticeable improvement. I installed the cxj spacers in the intake manifold and the throttle body, and the difference is there. I haven't had my car on a dyno, or timed it at the track, but I'm telling you there is a change that is easy to feel. I'm looking forward to my next mod, whenever/whatever it may be. Lol

And I'd venture a guess that some of the guys here who have really worked their maxima's over with custom intakes and spacers and exhausts and pulleys and a tune and whatever else, I'd bet they could smoke your buddies car.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by eesjunin
I disagree completely. If you want to throw on an intake/exhaust and expect +50 whp gains you will be disappointed. My car is definitely quicker since it was stock. we're not talkin an 11 or 12 second car or anything, but with full bolt-ons and tune i could see this thing doin low to mid 13's in the 1/4
Old 09-20-2012, 06:30 PM

You see that's all I want low 13's. Ghozt I'm going for the spacers as my next mod. Thanks for all your info.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM

You see that's all I want low 13's. Ghozt I'm going for the spacers as my next mod. Thanks for all your info.
no doubt man. yeah im still working on some type of HFC's for this car, so far no company wants to touch it. Nissan quotes 13 hours of labor to replace the OEM pre-cats, so it must be a b!tch to do. once i get that done or headers im gonna tune and hit the track when its not too hot out
Old 09-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Yeah men, we need headers. I saw a thread about getting some HFC's but I don't know what was the end of it. Hey let me know if you get those parts done I'll be very interested in getting some. Definitely we need more people to get more aftermarket parts out there. No one its going to design parts if there's not a good value of customers that's gonna et them.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM

I am surprised by the number of people that want to enhance their Maxima performance for a few reasons:
1. For a heavy car with FWD and CVT IMHO the car is already at its max handling capability. More HP may not make it run the slalom faster. For those of you who don't know HP only affects top speed. Acceleration is determined by torque
2. Why would any mature adult want to race the Maxima. It was not designed to be a competition or race car. For example on a BMW with the sport package you can adjust the engine response, transmission response and chasis tuning. On the Maxima the Sport mode creates only artifical gear shift points.
3. The 290 HP on the Maxima is already pretty good for the the car. The BMW 3.0 liter twin turbo puts out 300 HP.
For the money that I could spend on car mods I rather save it for retirement.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM

I understand all you are saying. But that's why we have a lot of different colors because not everybody likes the same. For you modding doesn't make any sense, for me and a lot of more people, it does. That's why we have this saying : " To each his own ". Every person its a different world.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
no doubt man. yeah im still working on some type of HFC's for this car, so far no company wants to touch it. Nissan quotes 13 hours of labor to replace the OEM pre-cats, so it must be a b!tch to do. once i get that done or headers im gonna tune and hit the track when its not too hot out

Buds creek or crofton? Let me know when u going Aight... I do plan on putting mines on the track but not till next yearR aft my mods...

Last edited by Jarohnimo; 09-22-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 PM

I think folks who want to mod should do it.. but I do have a word of advice.. do it wisely.... My dad usta build modify etc.. back in the muscle car days and it can turn into an addiction.. he warned me about the money pit car modification can be... My friends who've been doing mods for years have stopped all together due to the $ ... So choose mods wisely... I hear the Eibach does wonderful things for the suspension... And the AAM catback looks and sounds great adding improved performance... More cold air in the engine can only help so a good CAI.. Perhaps a throttle body spacer for better fuel air mix... Anyone who says these are bad mods either don't understand mods or their mindset isn't on improving performance. Simply content with maintaining

I think making the max look good is a first tho.. gotta ride in style baby
Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 AM

yeah car modification is technically a money pit, but then again so is buying a vehicle that requires premium that averages 20 mpg in the city. its no secret that if we all wanted the most cost effective vehicle on the long term, there are obviously much cheaper and economical options out there like the Nissan Leaf. we wanted a luxury sport sedan though; and for those who want to modify it/make it their own i obviously support that. stock is boring

Last edited by Ghozt; 09-23-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:53 AM

all i have is intake and custom catback and i beat my friend in his max which is completely stock..
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 PM

My car is quicker with the mods I have. That's all I am going to say.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The guy asked about mods and THIS is the response he gets? Come on girls, lets try to be supportive.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM

I thought in another thread they were saying the UDP is a waist?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fundem
I thought in another thread they were saying the UDP is a waist?
no, some people don't understand what it's supposed to do. everyone cries cause it doesn't add HP - it was never supposed to. you are reclaiming lost power since the pulley is lighter and smaller (less unsprung mass just like a smaller rim). my experience with it is the car accelerates a bit quicker now. no negatives from it that i can see so far; had it almost a year now.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM
dot dot dot ...

no, some people don't understand what it's supposed to do. everyone cries cause it doesn't add HP - it was never supposed to. you are reclaiming lost power since the pulley is lighter and smaller (less unsprung mass just like a smaller rim). my experience with it is the car accelerates a bit quicker now. no negatives from it that i can see so far; had it almost a year now.
Along those lines, there is always "free" power. Not in terms of price, but freeing up hp, like stiffer engine mounts, and engine torque brace (4th and 5th gens).

And I agree with the wheels, I gained an average of 12.5% MPG. 36.5#'s per corner vs 52.5. Also have seen on numerous boards across the internet dynos where heavy wheels affected the #'s, as I've seen the same on my car.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:17 PM

+1 This is one of at least 2 reasons why I still retain the stock 18's over a heavier 20" aftermarket wheel that is serving mainly appearance purposes. This heavy car needs all the help that a lighter wheel can provide. If and when I go a 19/20 inch wheel it will be with weight considerations not just looks alone.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Exactly...a reduction in parasitic loss if I remember the term correctly from my racing days long ago.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM

How much extra power can the transmission take? I have to assume its good for more than 300hp. Not that I know anything about this.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
How much extra power can the transmission take? I have to assume its good for more than 300hp. Not that I know anything about this.
This is a good question. I think the only way to really tell would be to have some kind of forced induction and basically keep turning it up until something blew up. Even then we still wouldn't know how much WHP it's putting out. So far nobody has wanted to sacrifice their Maxima to this research.

Last edited by Ghozt; 05-14-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

For More power at a turbo hands down performance

Originally Posted by Serpent
All respect to eesjunin, but I've got to disagree, a little bit. It is true that our cars have some big limitations such as the cvt, the weight, etc. And that makes our cars less than ideal for modding and tuning. But that doesn't mean that doing so is a waste of time/money. I'm just getting started with my car, and my first real mod made a very noticeable improvement. I installed the cxj spacers in the intake manifold and the throttle body, and the difference is there. I haven't had my car on a dyno, or timed it at the track, but I'm telling you there is a change that is easy to feel. I'm looking forward to my next mod, whenever/whatever it may be. Lol

And I'd venture a guess that some of the guys here who have really worked their maxima's over with custom intakes and spacers and exhausts and pulleys and a tune and whatever else, I'd bet they could smoke your buddies car.
you can order a turbo off of ebay to get the ultimate power for your Maxima.

Quick Reply: Best Mods to increase pur max performance ?