7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Sensor/Jamb Wire - Not Working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Exclamation Door Sensor/Jamb Wire - Not Working?

Bought a used 2010 Maxima SV Premium+Tech at 43,000 miles from CarMax. The car is in GREAT condition, except for a tiny issue.

In short, the car doesn't register when the driverside door is Opened or Closed. This isn't really a big deal except it affects the Auto Headlights (where it doesn't shutoff) and the Comfort Entry/Exit settings (where the steering wheel lifts up and seats move back).

I've tried to swap the black door sensor button with one from the Passenger/Rear Seats, but the driverside door remains undetected. Logically, that leads me to believe that the wire is disconnected and/or the wire is faulty. After bringing it back to CarMax, they are saying that they need to take apart the entire instrument gauge cluster to reconnect/fix the wire. Is this the right approach?

The service techs at CarMax work on so many cars, making me nervous because they aren't super knowledgeable about the Maximas. I'm additionally nervous that this minor "fix" will lead to other problems (e.g. messing up the instrument cluster's sensors/needles).

Any advice, thoughts, or tips would be most appreciated!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

If I were in your position, I hold CarMax accountable for fixing the problem. I know every car they sell is under warranty for a certain amount of time and they do deal with a lot of cars but get what you paid for out of them. I they cannot figure it out, insist that they have Nissan work on it. If CarMax messes something up in the process of fixing the problem, get your money back or have them replace the car.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by boone
If I were in your position, I hold CarMax accountable for fixing the problem. I know every car they sell is under warranty for a certain amount of time and they do deal with a lot of cars but get what you paid for out of them. I they cannot figure it out, insist that they have Nissan work on it. If CarMax messes something up in the process of fixing the problem, get your money back or have them replace the car.
I agree. I'll defintiely have them try to fix it, though I wish the other end of the wire was easily located so that I could re-plug it in myself. Instead, the wire/door sensor starts where the seatbelt area (see attached picture) and I don't even know where the wire ends!!

Ugh, it's such a small minor issue, but an annoying one and can lead to future problems if they don't re-assemble the cluster correctly!
Attached Thumbnails Door Sensor/Jamb Wire - Not Working?-maximadoorsensor.jpg