7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the maxima get to 330 hp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 AM

Question Can the maxima get to 330 hp?

We all know that the maxima will never be a 400+ hp beast because of the limits of the CVT, which has been discussed in multiple threads, but I would like to know what is he highest hp that can be achieved with aftermarket bolt ons without compromising the reliability of the Car. For example:

Stock: 290 hp
K&n typhoon intake +13hp
Racingline y pipe +10 hp
CXJ spacers + 10 hp
Uprev tune ??
Aftermarket exhaust??

Is it possible to reach 330 hp? What is the magic number?

I guess that the gain could be reduced by combining these upgrades, but I know that we have members out there that can share their experience. It would be even better to hear from those that have been on a dyno.

Go ahead and chime in, what is the best HP that you have achieved in your 7th gen., that the cvt and engine can handle for daily driving?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM

This is not a "race car"!!!!!!! 50 shot NOS would do it or a tuna in the tank.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Save the tuna for the other thread. This is a serious question. I am not asking for race car numbers, just realistic gains that others have accomplished, low hp gains. Might as well close the thread if its going to go sour like the other one did.

Last edited by Envymynissan; 02-13-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM

i am not sure any of those will add up...
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM

The only way to reach 330hp is to tell people it has 330 and hope they believe you.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM

^ hahah yup ...make sure there is a bumper sticker that claims the glory too!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:49 AM

It's a fair question, and I'm curious too. It's probably somewhere else in these forums, but would take forever to find it.

I know our cars suck on a dyno, but has anyone actually done a stock run on a dyno, and then compared it after adding all of their mods? What's the increase? Even if the dyno only said we were at 200 whp, but after mods it said 230, it'd be interesting to know that we gained approximately 30 whp through the mods.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan31
The only way to reach 330hp is to tell people it has 330 and hope they believe you.
Thanks man, that really helps... Problem solved. Maybe we should close all the threads about aftermarket parts, performance, @ the track experiences, 0-60s.

Is this such a difficult topic? Do we want to talk about the last trip to the grocery store? Or adding a roof wing to make the car faster? Or tuna and flux capacitors?

I clearly know that it will be less, I just want to know what expect from basic bolt ons.

To others that want to be funny... Please don't post if you are not bringing anything to the table. (Respectfully)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Envymynissan
We all know that the maxima will never be a 400+ hp beast because of the limits of the CVT, which has been discussed in multiple threads, but I would like to know what is he highest hp that can be achieved with aftermarket bolt ons without compromising the reliability of the Car. For example:

K&n typhoon intake +13hp
Racingline y pipe +10 hp
CXJ spacers + 10 hp
Uprev tune ??
Aftermarket exhaust??

I guess that the gain could be reduced by combining these upgrades, but I know that we have members out there that can share their experience. It would be even better to hear from those that have been on a dyno.

Go ahead and chime in, what is the best HP that you have achieved in your 7th gen., that the cvt and engine can handle for daily driving?
I don't think it's as simple as adding up the reported HP gains from all the bolt ons. Don't some of those numbers come from different rpm bands anyways?

In all likelihood, you'd need to tune the car in order to get the most out of all those parts working together.

And then isn't there a dyno problem with these cars (CVT), as well?

How could you even get accurate hp numbers? I would think it would have to be a before and after type of thing.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Serpent
It's a fair question, and I'm curious too. It's probably somewhere else in these forums, but would take forever to find it.

I know our cars suck on a dyno, but has anyone actually done a stock run on a dyno, and then compared it after adding all of their mods? What's the increase? Even if the dyno only said we were at 200 whp, but after mods it said 230, it'd be interesting to know that we gained approximately 30 whp through the mods.
Didn't ghozt do something like this with the spacers?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

If we were to believe that each of those mods actually gave the amount of H.P. advertised, we would have faster cars.

There are guys on here that have all those mods and they can tell you that your not breaking 300 on the dyno.

If we strapped the engine to an actual ENGINE DYNO with all those mods, fly wheel HP would more than stock but WHP we will never see that on a an NA VQ with bolt ons. The VQ series is an awesome engine series, but they are already maxed out in engineering to benefit them from any bolt ons. LS engines from Gm, now those are a different story.

Also, I know you dont want to hear it, but this question has been asked before.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM

The answer to your question is in fact :
STICKERS

With enough STICKERS 330hp can be achieved
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks man, that really helps... Problem solved. Maybe we should close all the threads about aftermarket parts, performance, @ the track experiences, 0-60s.

Is this such a difficult topic? Do we want to talk about the last trip to the grocery store? Or adding a roof wing to make the car faster? Or tuna and flux capacitors?

I clearly know that it will be less, I just want to know what expect from basic bolt ons.

To others that want to be funny... Please don't post if you are not bringing anything to the table. (Respectfully)
There is NO big market for aftermarket parts for this car. Period. It's a heavy car powered by a CVT transmission.

If you were looking to mod heavily, you bought the wrong car. Simple as that. Don't get mad at the responses because you're gonna hear the same from everyone.

The Maxima is pretty quick as is. But to gain 330hp? Not happening.

Good luck in your finding though, I'm pulling for ya
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM

i think the biggest question is you'd never really know how much power you're putting down. full bolt-ons plus tune definitely make this car faster, hell just bolt-ons makes it quicker, but since we have no way of seeing max WHP we'd never know the answer to this question. the better question is "can you make the Maxima a 12 second car" or whatever, cause 1/4 mile times are the only accuracy we're gonna see due to the CVT

Since it puts out 290 at the crank stock, I don't see how an extra 40 HP through mods/a tune isn't possible. Meaning that is not unrealistic I don't think.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 AM

These are good and valid comments. The thread from Ghozt is a good example, but I wasn't sure if it covered the spacers only, or if he had all the other mods installed already. The VQ is an amazing engine, if you look at the list of the other cars that share this engine one could think that it has some potential. I'll try to find a link to that thread
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM

These are good and valid comments. The thread from Ghozt is a good example, but I wasn't sure if it covered the spacers only, or if he had all the other mods installed already. The VQ is an amazing engine, if you look at the list of the other cars that share this engine one could think that it has some potential. I'll try to find a link to that thread
the HP potential I think is there, just being unable to "prove" it makes companies hesitant to produce parts (hard to sell a part without dyno charts). also when you start looking at the way you drive for people who want this much power, you're most likely damaging the CVT as it was "not designed for power" as someone aptly put. the CVT is designed for smoothness; this is why when you stomp on the gas from a complete stop the Maxima doesn't rocket you back in your seat; the torque limiter kicks in preventing you from snapping the "rubber band" that holds your CVT transmission together. when you learn to kind of "massage" the pedal to get the Max to speed up you'll find the CVT is actually a really fun transmission to drive; it's not a manual if you're expecting that style of driving.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM

OP you can't really do 5+ 10+ hp etc. with every mod you put on you could be adding more power on top. say an intake gives you 5 on a stock engine and a cat back will give you 10. put them together and you will prob make 16 or 17. mods compliment eachother. also, there's hp to be had through a/f tuning and ignition timing which will compliment every mod more.

Originally Posted by Ghozt
the HP potential I think is there, just being unable to "prove" it makes companies hesitant to produce parts (hard to sell a part without dyno charts). also when you start looking at the way you drive for people who want this much power, you're most likely damaging the CVT as it was "not designed for power" as someone aptly put. the CVT is designed for smoothness; this is why when you stomp on the gas from a complete stop the Maxima doesn't rocket you back in your seat; the torque limiter kicks in preventing you from snapping the "rubber band" that holds your CVT transmission together. when you learn to kind of "massage" the pedal to get the Max to speed up you'll find the CVT is actually a really fun transmission to drive; it's not a manual if you're expecting that style of driving.
i believe you on the fun part if you learn how it puts the power down, i love em in scooters cause they really eek out every bit of power produced by the 50-100cc single cyl and get it moving... but it sounds extremely gay on a V6 CAR keeping it at like 5 or 6k rpm constantly. they should've carried over the 6spd as an option... i would've bought a used 7th gen if it had it so for my next car i'll still be eyeing an infiniti g
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by eesjunin
i am not sure any of those will add up...
dude that max in ur sig looks sick! i was scrolling down and mistook it for an r35 LOL that an aftermarket hood? those black vents whether real or faux make it look aggressive!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Just drop in a motor from the 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan.
3.7-liter (3,696cc) 24-valve V6 engine, aluminum-alloy block and heads
328 hp @ 7,000 rpm
269 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm
I think Nissan should have done this anyways.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Just a "noob" question, but why is the CVT so hard to dyno?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by trailer54
Just a "noob" question, but why is the CVT so hard to dyno?
They can't keep it in Gear, to get a Accurate Dyno Reading.....
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
They can't keep it in Gear, to get a Accurate Dyno Reading.....
Ah ok, thank you sir
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by jspagna
Just drop in a motor from the 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan.
3.7-liter (3,696cc) 24-valve V6 engine, aluminum-alloy block and heads
328 hp @ 7,000 rpm
269 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm
Ahhhh, remembering the good old days b4 CPUs in cars became the norm. Seemed like the motto back then was if it could fit it will work, LOL. The 7th Gen is a very beautiful car with an intimidating stance. Hands down the most sexiest sedan under 50K....Just imagining the what ifs....Maybe manufactors should start selling barebone options ....
Old 02-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
i believe you on the fun part if you learn how it puts the power down, i love em in scooters cause they really eek out every bit of power produced by the 50-100cc single cyl and get it moving... but it sounds extremely gay on a V6 CAR keeping it at like 5 or 6k rpm constantly. they should've carried over the 6spd as an option... i would've bought a used 7th gen if it had it so for my next car i'll still be eyeing an infiniti g
So you consider a transmission that makes your car faster "extremely gay"?

Your a republican, aren't you?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:13 AM

Im still thinking about boosting my 12 maxima. That will be around that number....that's if there's no problems, which is highly unlikely lol. The price/time into these new cvt motors arent easy to come by.

Im still not giving up yet. The 50 shot nitrous thread was just amazing.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM

I think with the Bolt Ons and maybe a UpRev tune if anything..the car is quick enough. I really dont see the need to go passed 100..on the track.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Don't crucify me if it's been discussed , but I ran into this....

Nissan has promised "a number of Nismo models over a number of years" to follow the launch of its initial Juke Nismo and 370Z Nismo models.

Story here.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...els-discussion

Maxima enthusiasts might (keyword might) get that extra hp and performance we crave courtesy of Nismo afterall. Maybe we should petition them being that manufacturers are listening to consumer wants and needs more than ever. And as long as we're willing to pay, no reason they shouldn't make it available.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How to increase hp in cvt 7th gen max

The first step to increasing hp in 7th gen max is to remove that dispicable cvt and replace it with 6spd from another fwd Nissan car like Juke. Then add a big turbo combined with the other engines mods like spacers, exhaust, filter chargers. Now you can have a 500hp maxima that can either be civilized or driven to the max. If you want to save weight buy carbon fiber seats, hood, trunk.Replace heavy metal engine parts with titanium or other forge light metals. Now you have a beast maxima that can beat most cars in a straight line. And have good cornering with good after market coils, upper strut bars, sway bars, slick tires. Everything mentioned here is what I will do to my max cause I think it looks absolutely beautiful with stillen front lip,DRL and rear diffuser. Cvt just ruins it.
QUOTE=Envymynissan;8726708]We all know that the maxima will never be a 400+ hp beast because of the limits of the CVT, which has been discussed in multiple threads, but I would like to know what is he highest hp that can be achieved with aftermarket bolt ons without compromising the reliability of the Car. For example:

K&n typhoon intake +13hp
Racingline y pipe +10 hp
CXJ spacers + 10 hp
Uprev tune ??
Aftermarket exhaust??

Go ahead and chime in, what is the best HP that you have achieved in your 7th gen., that the cvt and engine can handle for daily driving?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

NISFormance a company in NC has already replace Ghozt max cvt with 6 spd manual. Vid on YouTube as I'm sure all of you are aware.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Look at my sig here. I did dyno runs and show a 39hp and 59tq increase over baseline with my mods. It is noticeably faster than a stock maxima, and a tune will make even more gains.
If you just add my dyno gains to the stock crank rating, then I'm at 330.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
Look at my sig here. I did dyno runs and show a 39hp and 59tq increase over baseline with my mods. It is noticeably faster than a stock maxima, and a tune will make even more gains.
No offense but no you're not. The 5th gen Maximas with 6 speeds running our 09+ VQ35DE motors with full bolt ons+tune are putting out ~310 whp NA. There is absolutely no way you're getting 20 more HP out of a drivetrain that has more drivetrain loss.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
Is your mod list up to date in your sig? I'm not seeing how an exhaust, crank pulley and an intake adds up to 39HP and 59TQ.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Is your mod list up to date in your sig? I'm not seeing how an exhaust, crank pulley and an intake adds up to 39HP and 59TQ.
Yes, it is up to date. I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't have the dyno charts to back it up.
It is, however, the only True Dual Exhaust that I am aware of. There is a lot more ability to breath on my exhaust.

Ghost, I was talking crank numbers, and you are talking wheel numbers.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why can't they use the manual mode to get a dyno reading? The CVT is kinda gay but I fell in love with the lady in the bluetooth.. just brought her home with me last night!
Old 09-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan31
There is NO big market for aftermarket parts for this car. Period. It's a heavy car powered by a CVT transmission.

If you were looking to mod heavily, you bought the wrong car. Simple as that. Don't get mad at the responses because you're gonna hear the same from everyone.

The Maxima is pretty quick as is. But to gain 330hp? Not happening.

Good luck in your finding though, I'm pulling for ya
how is 40 hp not happening? You get 5 to 20 from cold air intake and another 15 from exhaust and a chip that adds 60 hp.so thats around 90 to the already 290.so i think thats well past 330hp dont you think?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by David Robert
how is 40 hp not happening? You get 5 to 20 from cold air intake and another 15 from exhaust and a chip that adds 60 hp.so thats around 90 to the already 290.so i think thats well past 330hp dont you think?
lol

Old 09-30-2020, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by User1
lol

did some research and found one with turbo and manual and its putting out 404 hp and 396lbs torque and there's still more you could do.be a really fast grocery getter.lol
Old 09-30-2020, 05:17 PM

did some research and found one with turbo and manual and its putting out 404 hp and 396lbs torque and there's still more you could do.be a really fast grocery getter.lol
Eh, it's still wrong-wheel drive. Get a proper sedan. V8, rear-wheel drive, big displacement or forced induction to play power games with.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:05 AM

Note also not a cvt.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by NutzLarge
Why can't they use the manual mode to get a dyno reading? The CVT is kinda gay but I fell in love with the lady in the bluetooth.. just brought her home with me last night!
Even in manual mode it does not throw down consistent numbers / pulls. Yes you do have more control over the motor but it's still electronically bound. Unless you have a way to bypass the limiters in the transmission control module, which would probably destroy the trans in the process, you won't get accurate numbers (the trans is trying to save itself). Also CVT is a belt driven system, belts stretch when force is applied so the inherent nature of the transmission causes lag (rubber banding) and false readings. Gears are a more solid connection with less "play". The motor is what shines in the Maxima, it's just hampered by the trans.

Quick Reply: Can the maxima get to 330 hp?