7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Maxima Brake Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2011 Maxima Brake Problem...

Good day everyone! I apologize if this question is posted somewhere else, but I searched and didn't find it.

My Maxima is parked on a slightly inclined driveway, nose pointing up. After backing out, shifting into drive and then during the first forward moving stop there is a noticable "POP" and "crackle" coming from the front of the car (brakes presumably since it happens only when braking). Its loud enough for passengers to look at me and say, "What the heck was that"? It also happens generally after every cold start after sitting for normal stops into grocery stores, etc. Sometimes it happens in a reverse stop as well as forward stops. As far as I can tell the brakes work fine.

I've taken it to the dealer twice and they claim they can't replicate the noise and assure me that it's "normal" and that it's just the ABS "adjusting itself".

I have never driven a car that makes these noises, Nissan or otherwise.

Has anyone here ever experienced this issue?

Thank you in advance for your insight.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM

Do you also hear when the abs is "adjusting itself"?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM

The ABS self-check noise Jam Roc is asking about occurs at the front of the car at around 17 MPH after the car has been sitting a few moments, such as after a stop at a store. It is not tied to using your brakes, although it is possible it could happen just as you happen to be braking. It should happen only once after each start.

If your noise occurs ONLY as you brake, then it is not the ABS self-check noise, and I would not let this slide.

As you are parking on a slanted drive, I assume you are putting the parking brake on each time. The parking brake uses the rear calipers, so if the noise is from the front, it is not related to the parking brake.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 AM

It's the front brake pads I'm getting mine replaced under warranty this weeK!!! Also if you put the car in drive move it a bit and then put it in reverse and move it, that is when you really can hear the clicking!! The pads are moving in the caliper!!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The noise only happens during the initial braking in the forward direction after sitting for a short period of time, regardless of if it's on my driveway or in a parking lot at the grocery store. I have never heard the ABS self-adjustment at 17 mph lightonthehill referred to. I would imagine it's not supposed to be loud enough to cause alarm. The pop coming during braking is somewhat alarming and definitely not any normal sound that I've heard on any other car I've driven. I do not use the parking brake. My driveway grade is very slight.

I am going back to the dealer for the third time on Monday. I will update on this thread afterwards.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM

The abs adjustment is loud enough to startle a newbie. I was a bit worried the first time I heard it.

The reason why I asked about it is, you should hear and feel it each time it does so, mine as gotten less pronounce over time.

Once you have identified the abs sound then you will be certain the sound you hear is caused by something else.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, so the third trip to the Nissan dealer was finally worthwhile. After sitting in the car with the tech and replicating the popping noise, he got the "I know what that sound is" look on his face. After about a 20 minute wait he came to the waiting area and explained how Nissan brake pads are designed to shift back and forth to reduce pad wear, but that there is supposed to be some grease where the shifting happens that eliminates the noise or something. He greased what needed to be greased and the popping noise is now gone. He said it probably came from the factory without the grease since it had been popping since I bought it in Jan 2011. He also apologized for the run around I got from previous techs trying to sell me on the ABS adjustment noise.

I am finally content with my Maxima's brakes... lol!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dodger Blues
OK, so the third trip to the Nissan dealer was finally worthwhile. After sitting in the car with the tech and replicating the popping noise, he got the "I know what that sound is" look on his face. After about a 20 minute wait he came to the waiting area and explained how Nissan brake pads are designed to shift back and forth to reduce pad wear, but that there is supposed to be some grease where the shifting happens that eliminates the noise or something. He greased what needed to be greased and the popping noise is now gone. He said it probably came from the factory without the grease since it had been popping since I bought it in Jan 2011. He also apologized for the run around I got from previous techs trying to sell me on the ABS adjustment noise.

I am finally content with my Maxima's brakes... lol!

Very interesting. I have owned nothing but Datsun/Nissan vehicles since the 1970s, and this is the first time I have heard of shifting brake pads. Seems ever year there are new advances in automotive technology. Before I finally die, cars will probably drive themselves, and the only reason for a windshield up front is so the vehicle occupants can enjoy the view.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Dodger Blues
Good day everyone! I apologize if this question is posted somewhere else, but I searched and didn't find it.

My Maxima is parked on a slightly inclined driveway, nose pointing up. After backing out, shifting into drive and then during the first forward moving stop there is a noticable "POP" and "crackle" coming from the front of the car (brakes presumably since it happens only when braking). Its loud enough for passengers to look at me and say, "What the heck was that"? It also happens generally after every cold start after sitting for normal stops into grocery stores, etc. Sometimes it happens in a reverse stop as well as forward stops. As far as I can tell the brakes work fine.

I've taken it to the dealer twice and they claim they can't replicate the noise and assure me that it's "normal" and that it's just the ABS "adjusting itself".

I have never driven a car that makes these noises, Nissan or otherwise.

Has anyone here ever experienced this issue?

Thank you in advance for your insight.
I have had the same issue with my 11 took
It in. All they did was grease the brakes.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:49 AM

Told you so!!!LOL