7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Seat (driver side)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Heated Seat (driver side)

I have a 2009 Nissan maxima SV with heated and cooled seats. My problem is every time I try to use the heat setting either on hi or low the seat turns off after 2-3 minutes. Since I bought the car new this has been an on going problem. I have taken this car in over 20x to the dealer who has run ever test possible to man on the seat with no luck. The so call regional tech has called in his advise and still no luck and has basically said it is the way you sit in the seat. Really? Furthermore, we have done all we can and we cannot do anything for more for you. I advised him basically he is telling me that you have to sit in the seat a certain way and some people based on the way they sit make the seat shut down. Personally, I have sat in the seat all different ways and it doesn't not matter how, what setting, or position of the seat is in it still shuts off after 2-3 minutes. The car is still under warranty and was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem? I find it hard to believe Nissan has tech people advising their customers its the way they are sitting in the seat that is causing the seat to shut off. Do I need to file a lawsuit or does someone have any advise on my next course of action? The excuse of the way I sit is not acceptable...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Has Steve Jobs been resurrected and is now working for Nissan?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

heated seats

No one has any answers for me? I am surprised no one is dealing with this problem except me?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM

You may have missed it, so here is a response LtLeary posted in another thread:

Originally Posted by micromoves:

I have a 2009 Nissan maxima SV with heated and cooled seats. My problem is every time I try to use the heat setting either on hi or low the seat turns off after 2-3 minutes. Since I bought the car new this has been an on going problem. I have taken this car in over 20x to the dealer who has run ever test possible to man on the seat with no luck. The so call regional tech has called in his advise and still no luck and has basically said it is the way you sit in the seat. Really? Furthermore, we have done all we can and we cannot do anything for more for you. I advised him basically he is telling me that you have to sit in the seat a certain way and some people based on the way they sit make the seat shut down. Personally, I have sat in the seat all different ways and it doesn't not matter how, what setting, or position of the seat is in it still shuts off after 2-3 minutes. The car is still under warranty and was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem? I find it hard to believe Nissan has tech people advising their customers its the way they are sitting in the seat that is causing the seat to shut off. Do I need to file a lawsuit or does anyone have any advise on my next course of action? The excuse of the way I sit is not acceptable... END QUOTE

LtLeary's response:

Unfortunately, your seat will need replacing. I have had mine replaced twice...once under warranty and the other time $650 out of warranty. It has nothing to do with the way you are sitting. There has been a TSB out for a few years but a TSB and Recalls are miles apart. Fortunately, you are in warranty phase and should be in good stead. The only thing you may want to check on your own is the seat filter. But most likely, you are like the select few of us that have had this issue bad enough to have the seat replaced. If the dealer doesn't want to do it, I would call the BBB and take it somewhere else.
Fortunately, the newer version of the seats seem to last longer than the original!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan heated seats

I've had the same problem in my 09 maxima and I went back and forth with Nissan over the issue however long story short they claim it was the way I sat in the seat. Basically, I just got tired of dealing with it and bring the car in over 40x for them to eventually say we can't do anything more for you. This will be the last Nissan I buy... Oh by the way, the regional enginner suggested I sit in the seat the right way and refused to even look at it anymore.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 AM

Sitting in the seat the wrong way........... LOL. Thats the best one I heard yet. Did they set the cabin temp at 90 and then tell you the seats work fine? Or tell you the switch on the left controls the back of the seats and the seat on the right controls the bottom. Nissan just refuses to address this issue and it has been around since 2009.

My last Nissan also. If they can't get heated seats right how about the more important parts of the car. Heated or climate controlled seats are not complicated at all. The "engineers" at Nissan have had five years to figure this out.

Last edited by Nopike; 02-19-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima SV. I noticed recently the driver side seat warmer turns off arounr 3-5 min after turned on. Exactly like the OP described. I took it in yesterday and they said the same exact thing about how i had the seat positioned. Talked about how the filter was below the seat or something. So he "realigned" the seat to how it should be for it to work. I went along with it just to see. Sure enough, 3-5 min after pulling out of the parking lot, it turned off again. Seems like more of the weight on the seat. I think if you were to turn the car on and not sit in the seat, it would stay on.

Regardless, I have another appointment next week to have this looked at again. Hopefully go up the chain at Nissan. This is very frustrating! Had tossed the idea around in my head about getting rid of the car already. Seems silly to get rid of it just because of a seat warmer issue though. ughh
Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 AM

I have a 10 SV with no heated seat problems in either front seat. The one issue I have had regarding a seat is that my driver's side seat won't slide up! All other features of my seat work except that one? I'm the only one who drives my car mostly, but has anyone ever had that problem and does anyone have any idea what could cause my seat not too slide forward? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by LSExplorer22
I have a 10 SV with no heated seat problems in either front seat. The one issue I have had regarding a seat is that my driver's side seat won't slide up! All other features of my seat work except that one? I'm the only one who drives my car mostly, but has anyone ever had that problem and does anyone have any idea what could cause my seat not too slide forward? Thanks.
Does your seat slide backward at all?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:46 AM

On the rare occasions that my seat slides forward, it will slide back no problem.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LSExplorer22
Does your seat have both cooled and heated seats? From what I read, it's only a problem on those seats.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by dmbfan13
I just bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima SV. I noticed recently the driver side seat warmer turns off arounr 3-5 min after turned on. Exactly like the OP described. I took it in yesterday and they said the same exact thing about how i had the seat positioned. Talked about how the filter was below the seat or something. So he "realigned" the seat to how it should be for it to work. I went along with it just to see. Sure enough, 3-5 min after pulling out of the parking lot, it turned off again. Seems like more of the weight on the seat. I think if you were to turn the car on and not sit in the seat, it would stay on.

Regardless, I have another appointment next week to have this looked at again. Hopefully go up the chain at Nissan. This is very frustrating! Had tossed the idea around in my head about getting rid of the car already. Seems silly to get rid of it just because of a seat warmer issue though. ughh
This problem always shows up once the weather gets very cold. It is quite common.

The heated/cooled seats even when working properly are kind of disappointing. They get hot but it's not an even heat and the front half of the seat bottom is not heated at all. Poor design, can't blame you for considering getting rid of the car. Heated seats are important. Too bad Nissan does not think so.

Realign the seat, that is a good one. So you have to have the seat in a particular position for it to work LOL. I can't believe how clueless Nissan techs seem to be about these seats or maybe they just don't want to work on them. Someone who gives a damn and knows what they are doing can have that seat out of the car in about 15 minutes.

If you read this thread you will know more about the seats than most of Nissan techs.
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ry-solved.html

Last edited by Nopike; 01-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM

My 2014 had the same issue from day one. I did not notice it during the test drive. The Nissan dealers and Nissan corporate response to the problem was totally disappointing. I ended up repairing it myself.

It's one thing that these seats have issues. It's the miserable attempts by Nissan to rectify the situation that really steams me. It's like they will do or say anything so they do not actually have to try and fix the problem.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-15-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nopike
My 2014 had the same issue from day one. I did not notice it during the test drive. The Nissan dealers and Nissan corporate response to the problem was totally disappointing. I ended up repairing it myself.

It's one thing that these seats have issues. It's the miserable attempts by Nissan techs to rectify the situation that really steams me. It's like they will do or say anything so they do not actually have to try and fix the problem.
How did you go about fixing it yourself?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:43 PM

For starters you have to remove the seat from the vehicle and perform a through inspection of the vents. See the thread that I posted the link to.

https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ry-solved.html

The seats have airbags so that is another issue you have to deal with. Unless you have some experience doing something like this, probably not recommended.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:55 PM

Have you checked the passenger side heated seat? That one is a different design it only heats. Mine heats very poorly. You can barely feel the heat even on high. I think that is common problem on 7th Gens. Not just mine. Again poorly designed.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Have you checked the passenger side heated seat? That one is a different design it only heats. Mine heats very poorly. You can barely feel the heat even on high. I think that is common problem on 7th Gens. Not just mine. Again poorly designed.
honestly I'm not entirely sure. Dont think I've ever used it. My wife says it works good!

So it sounds like the problem I'm having might due foam pads, ducting or blower. Since it stays on for 3-5 minutes. Either way, I have another appointment with Nissan on Wednesday. I thought about just printing out the thread you linked and tell them to read through it!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:18 AM

They won't read the thread because that may mean they may have to think and do some work. Can't have that. At least that has been my experience with Nissan dealers.

It seems that most dealers will do or say just about anything so they do not actually have to remove the seat from the car to do a through inspection. My guess is that during manufacture the seat vents were not properly installed or are missing. The dealers act like this is some mysterious problem. It is actually quite simple if you understand the operation of the seat.

My seat had a vent that was not installed. Good luck, let us know what happens.

You just bought the car if they can not figure out what is wrong I would expect them to just change out the damn seat. Why don't you just let them read this thread, LOL.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-15-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They won't read the thread because that may mean they may have to think and do some work. Can't have that. At least that has been my experience with Nissan dealers.

It seems that most dealers will do or say just about anything so they do not actually have to remove the seat from the car to do a through inspection. My guess is that during manufacture the seat vents were not properly installed or are missing. The dealers act like this is some mysterious problem. It is actually quite simple if you understand the operation of the seat.

My seat had a vent that was not installed. Good luck, let us know what happens.

You just bought the car if they can not figure out what is wrong I would expect them to just change out the damn seat. Why don't you just let them read this thread, LOL.
I'm going to point out some of the things I've learned here to them. Not saying they'll listen, but it can't hurt. Hoping they can just fix the venting or replace the seat.

But I'll keep this thread updated regardless.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

TSB #NTB10-026b

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...6#.VLgKuC4y3OB
Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Probably a dumb question, but what is this you linked? It seems like a discussion forum. Anything different than what we have here?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Looks like you have to signup and log in to see the TSB.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just use that site for downloading TSB's.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
I just use that site for downloading TSB's.
Ok...another dumb question...but what is a TSB?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 AM

Ok...another dumb question...but what is a TSB?
A TSB stands for Techincal Service Bulletin, Basically they are aware of this issue and make a TSB so others can reference it.

Ok, I do some work for the Company that makes these systems for the heated and cooled seats. I personally have a 09 Maxima SV also and I have the same issue of the heated seat turning off when I sit in the car. I have a Car started installed and I find that by starting the Car early and letting it run, the seat heater works with no issues, It's when I get into the car for a minute or 2 that it shuts down. I believe the opening that lets the air into the seat is getting choked when sitting in the seat and therefor overheats the system and turns off which is what it's designed to do. I did not have this problem when I first got the car, it started about 3 years after ownership. My theory is the seat Foam rigidity breaks down over time and eventually when you sit into the seat it compresses more than usual and chokes the heat opening. I spoke with one of people at the company and he told me that this system is very specific to how it gets installed into the seat, If the installation is not proper it will malfunction!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by seesole
A TSB stands for Techincal Service Bulletin, Basically they are aware of this issue and make a TSB so others can reference it.

Ok, I do some work for the Company that makes these systems for the heated and cooled seats. I personally have a 09 Maxima SV also and I have the same issue of the heated seat turning off when I sit in the car. I have a Car started installed and I find that by starting the Car early and letting it run, the seat heater works with no issues, It's when I get into the car for a minute or 2 that it shuts down. I believe the opening that lets the air into the seat is getting choked when sitting in the seat and therefor overheats the system and turns off which is what it's designed to do. I did not have this problem when I first got the car, it started about 3 years after ownership. My theory is the seat Foam rigidity breaks down over time and eventually when you sit into the seat it compresses more than usual and chokes the heat opening. I spoke with one of people at the company and he told me that this system is very specific to how it gets installed into the seat, If the installation is not proper it will malfunction!
Oh ok, thanks for the definition!

I actually was thinking the same thing. If you just start the car and the seat warmer, but don't sit down, it seems fine. Like you said, it's when I get in the car, start it and the seat warmer that it shuts off.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Something I noticed over the weekend. If I start the car and leave the seat warmer on low or medium, it stays on. Then I can change it to high. However, i barely notice the seat getting warm if at all. I still think there is probably a problem with venting.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 AM

I would not be surprised if your seat came in the same condition as mine. They neglected to put install a vent and gasket that goes from the seat bottom TED to the seat. If you raise the seat and get a mirror and light you may be able to see what is going on.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Does your seat have both cooled and heated seats? From what I read, it's only a problem on those seats.

I only have heated seats.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just got a call from the dealer. My car had been there all day. I had suggested when I dropped the car off to pull the seat out to make sure everything is how it's supposed to be. I even referenced this thread and had the printout of the other thread in the car with post-its from peoples suggestions. No idea if they looked at it, but figured it couldnt hurt.

Anyways, they had a technician drive the car and he confirmed the seat wasn't warming the way it should have been (like I was trying to tell them!). After pulling the seat out, he said the foam that surrounds the TED, had not been fully cut out. Said approximately 40-50% of the foam was still there, that should have been cut out. Hopefully this is behind me now!! After I pick the car up, I'll confirm.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Thats a new solution i havent heard of... dont think it would work for my symptoms as the seat completely dont work durring the cold snaps.. works on hot days for the most part
Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Good luck man, hopefully that is it!!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well it worked fine leaving the dealer yesterday. However this morning, when I started the car I put it on high. After a few minutes it shut off again. So I turned the car off, then back on. This time put it on medium for a few minutes, then high. Seemed to work fine. I'm going to try putting it on medium for a few minutes before putting it on high to see if it works that way.

This is so damn annoying.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 AM

Well it worked fine leaving the dealer yesterday. However this morning, when I started the car I put it on high. After a few minutes it shut off again. So I turned the car off, then back on. This time put it on medium for a few minutes, then high. Seemed to work fine. I'm going to try putting it on medium for a few minutes before putting it on high to see if it works that way.

There is a big thread on this issue where NoPike explained the problem and possible solution. I can't believe the B/S the dealer is pulling on you, and I hope they did not destroy the foam in your seat to prove that they are clueless.
Basically, if you delay turning your seat on for a few min letting the car warm up, you will be able to use heated seat without it turning off.
The colder the car initially, the bigger the chance that it will turn off due to how the TED safety circuitry works.
As far as I am aware, dealer does not have a permanent fix for this issue.

Somebody should start a class action law suit.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 AM

Why am I not surprised. What gets me is that the dealer does not even properly test the vehicle to make sure the repair worked. Just gives it back to the customer.

At this point the dealer has had two chances to fix the seat on a brand new car. All they did so far was waste your time. Since they cannot figure it out they need to install a new seat that works. Should take all of 30 minutes to do the job. You are certainly not alone going through this BS.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-22-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2010 Maxima. seat heat/cool stopped working about a year ago. I tried all the stuff mentioned in previous threads. After I put the seat back in and re connected the battery, car wont start yet it was fine when I took the seat out, it started fine with a boost, but after sitting for 2 weeks it wont start again. Original battery was replaced with a Nissan battery2. years ago. I installed a new battery today and presto, heat/cool works fine. Go figure. Hope I don't have a drain somewhere.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:59 AM

If the voltage provided to the climate control seats is not stable and drops below a set value the system will go into fail safe mode and shut down. So that makes sense. Although with a faulty battery I would expect the car to have other issues also.

Last edited by Nopike; 01-26-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Problem solved for heated/cooled seat

So I purchased my used 2010 Maxima back in March after my brand new 2010 Subaru of almost 5 years was a total loss 😡; immediately I noticed the heated and cooled seat would never stay on for more than 10 seconds. As (Nopike) people have mentioned it is an electrical and voltage problem.
On my invoice is states tech inspected and found heating/cooling failed. Tech removed and replaced with new seat cushion. This fixed the problem and it has been working fine I've let it stay on for awhile and no problems, as the Nopike stated, if the voltage level is too low the system will shut down, as a safety precaution. Apparently the voltage is supposed to operate at a high setting; so I hope this will help some of you that have the premium package with the heated cooled seat. It was an aggravating process they had to keep my car for a few days, but I'm glad the problem was diagnosed, and has been fixed correctly.

Last edited by ralphtc86; 05-05-2015 at 09:38 AM.