7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire recommendations - 2009 Maxima Sv + Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM

Tire recommendations - 2009 Maxima Sv + Sport Package

Hi everyone!

I have gone through 2 sets of tires in the 75K miles I have owned my Maxima and need to get a 3rd frigging set! I have a 2009 SV with Sport Package so they are the 19" rims.

I do about 90 miles a day to and from work on L.A.'s freeways. I currently have a set of Bridgestones on it but the ride is horrible. I really wish, in hindsight, I hadn't gone for the Sports package as I'm sure the ride would be smoother. The miserable state of the roads here make the ride similarly miserable....

Anyway enough of my woes. I would love to hear if anyone has an opinion on what tires they would recommend. I would like to have:-

Something less than $300 a tire would be great too. Tires are possibly the most unexciting purchase you can make!

Thanks!
      Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by LASpurs
      Hi everyone!

I have gone through 2 sets of tires in the 75K miles I have owned my Maxima and need to get a 3rd frigging set! I have a 2009 SV with Sport Package so they are the 19" rims.

I do about 90 miles a day to and from work on L.A.'s freeways. I currently have a set of Bridgestones on it but the ride is horrible. I really wish, in hindsight, I hadn't gone for the Sports package as I'm sure the ride would be smoother. The miserable state of the roads here make the ride similarly miserable....

Anyway enough of my woes. I would love to hear if anyone has an opinion on what tires they would recommend. I would like to have:-
      • Better longevity if possible
      • A better ride on the 19".
      Something less than $300 a tire would be great too. Tires are possibly the most unexciting purchase you can make!

Thanks!
      I had Conti Extreme contacts DWS on my Infiniti, loved them. 17 inch though

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 06-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.
      Old 06-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Hi everyone!

I really wish, in hindsight, I hadn't gone for the Sports package as I'm sure the ride would be smoother. The miserable state of the roads here make the ride similarly miserable....
      makes complete sense that your ride would be a little more stiff. there are lots of people on the ORG that might be willing to part with their premium package suspension that have upgraded to coilovers. as for the tires and the price, have you ever considered going down to an 18" wheel? I am almost certain it would improve your ride quality and it would also remove a little stress on your pockets considering those tires are cheaper. good luck with your decision and hopefully you find some tires that will give you nice longevity!!
      Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Nitto motivo!!
      Old 06-15-2013, 06:11 AM

Visit tire rack.com web site and review their tire ratings and owner reviews. Then decide which factors are most important to you such as tread wear, handling, traction, price etc. this will help you make an informed decision. Consumers reports is also an excellent source of unbiased information as their engineers test tires on the track under various conditions. I had excellent lunch with Michelin Pilot and MXM tires
      Old 06-15-2013, 06:55 AM
      Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
      I had Conti Extreme contacts DWS on my Infiniti, loved them. 17 inch though

I like these Continentals as well. They are not on my 7th gen, use them on the 5th gen. They were 235/40/18 on a 18x8" rim, and I felt the ride quality was good. They are also a longer wearing tire. I'm considering getting them later for this car.

From the reviews on them, the Nitto Motivo's also look like a good option.
      Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
      I had Conti Extreme contacts DWS on my.....
      Yep. Seem to be the best going at this time for long life tires.
      Old 06-15-2013, 04:10 PM

I recently installed Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 970A/Ss. I absolutely love these tires. Handle great, quiet and ride exceptional well. Night and day difference over the horrendous Goodyear Eagle RSAs.

They have a 40K mile warranty which I know isn't very long, but worth consideration.
      Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by djfergi
      I recently installed Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 970A/Ss. I absolutely love these tires. Handle great, quiet and ride exceptional well. Night and day difference over the horrendous Goodyear Eagle RSAs.

They have a 40K mile warranty which I know isn't very long, but worth consideration.
      Let me know if your gas mileage decreases with these tires. They are still the best rated (three season tire) by Tire Rack but they also state mileage suffers a bit along with some winter driving attributes, thanks.
      Did you get the 18 or 19" version?
      Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
      Let me know if your gas mileage decreases with these tires. They are still the best rated (three season tire) by Tire Rack but they also state mileage suffers a bit along with some winter driving attributes, thanks.
      Did you get the 18 or 19" version?
      I haven't seen my gas mileage drop. I hover around 23MPG mixed driving.

I purchased 245/45/18s.
      Old 06-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by djfergi
      I haven't seen my gas mileage drop. I hover around 23MPG mixed driving.

I purchased 245/45/18s.
      Great, thank you.
      Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM

My 09 Sport rides pretty sweet with the tires in my sig, upsizing made it feel like I was not riding with under inflated tires, the stock tire size sucks
      Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM
      Newbie - Just Registered

Nitto Motivo again!!! I had them on my G37, AWESOME tires at a great price!
      Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM

I just had the Conti Extreme DW installed on my SV with Sport pkg since down here in Florida we don't need the "S" and so far after 3 weeks of driving i can definately tell a difference in ride. It's much smoother and quieter than the stock RSA's. I don't fell the harsh conditions of the road now as I felt before. I ordered them from Tirerack as they were on sale. I believe $20 off a piece.
      Old 06-18-2013, 05:31 PM

I think you're in Les Schwab country ... check out their Tourevo model made by Toyo. I'm running them on my 7th gen at 18" doing a 90 mile round trip daily freeway commute and they ride great. I can't testify to their wet/dry cornering performance since it's 180 miles to the nearest crooked road here in northern Nevada and it rarely rains in the Great Basin Desert. And, I can't testify to their longevity yet (they have a 400 wear rating) ... but, w/ Les Schwab's outstanding free rotations and balancing they should be competitive. Pricing is not unreasonable either ... think mine were about $250 per tire w/ all the services Les Schwab provides "free".

I just had my wife put another set on her Ford Fusion.

Live long, and prosper
      JLGubks
      Old 06-19-2013, 05:13 PM

jus put sum DWS on yesterday....WOW what a difference, loving them so far
      Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM
      Newbie - Just Registered

Been fighting with Nissan Corp. for over 4 months now and they finally agreed that the vibration issue that I have been dealing with is severely flat-spotted tires. They were going to put a brand new set of RSA's on but I vehemently refused those. I asked for the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, which is very highly rated on TireRack. They are on temp. backorder and will arrive by Tuesday, can't wait! Until then, I have a 13' Altima loaner. The RSA is not a good tire for low-profile situations, far better for smaller diameter wheels.
      Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Price wise check Treaddepot.com.. best prices i've seen online..

You can definitely find tires for under $300 a piece!
      Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Just switched from Bridgestone to Michelin

Three years ago, I made multiple posts about just how lousy I thought the OEM Goodyear RSAs were. The worst issue is that the car wouldn't track straight -- required constant little steering inputs, regardless of whether I was going 30mph or 75mph. After 500 miles, I got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports, and I thought the difference was night and day (I'd gone through two sets of Bridgestones on my Infiniti G35). One drawback to Bridgestones? The tread life is pretty low -- I'm not a big mileage driver, so not a huge issue, but after 24K miles, I could see I needed to put new tires on. The roads in my city have really fallen into disrepair, and I've found that the ride in my Max has grown "brittle" or "chippy", if you will -- just not comfortable at the 35-45 mph city speeds. I decided to look for a tire this time with better tread life, and better road comfort. After some looking around on the Discount Tire website, I concluded the Michelin Primacy MXV4 would be a good choice -- touted improved ride comfort along with a 60K tread life, with warranty. When I asked the store manager what he'd recommend, big surprise, he suggested the Primacy, and he had them in stock. Yes, they're expensive tires -- but I get another year to two years out of them, it'll be worth it. How do they feel? Like tires that cost about $40 more, each, than the Bridgestones. The ride is noticeably improved over my crappy local roads, and on an interstate trip today, we noticed how much the general road noise was reduced in the cabin. And the car tracked straight and true, as if on rails. I'm really pleased. Only rub? My pressure warning indicator came on during the trip -- of course I got off the highway asap and checked all four -- no problems. I did this again another half dozen times in the next day just to be safe. Obviously one of my "redi-sensors" (at the air filler nipple) is faulty. They had to replace one when they put on the tires (n/c) and maybe that's the culprit. Going it tomorrow to troubleshoot the problem -- hopefully they can figure it out easily and quickly -- and not "let's try this and see what happens." Bottom line, my opinion? Just as the Bridgestones were a huge improvement over the Goodyears, I feel the Michelins represent just as big an improvement over the Bridgestones, commensurate with their cost.

Last edited by decarlnick; 07-05-2013 at 05:11 PM.
      Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Interesting as I have 25K on the RSA's and mine have performed admirably. The way I drive I have another 4 to 6k to go before replacement. I keep them inflated correctly and rotated on schedule and no problems.
      Like any individual car or set of tires there can be issues.
      I have 18's with an Eibach drop and a RL RSB and the car sticks quite well into corners when dry and I know the limits on wet cornering to prevent total lose of control.
      I will not buy another set of these tires because there are definitely better ones out there.
      But as mentioned above, the so called "quality" of a set of tires or even a car for that matter is never a cut or dry experience.
      Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM

Ours came with some new Yokohamas on it. No idea how they will last, but they ride and grip pretty good.
      Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4mula1fan
      Ours came with some new Yokohamas on it. No idea how they will last, but they ride and grip pretty good.
      Had Yoko's before and they're usually very good tires. I hope they serve you well.
      Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM

So sorry for the delayed response. The forum is blocked at my work....!

Thank you all for your replies. I'll check out the Conti's and the Nittos!

Thanks again
      Old 07-18-2013, 02:41 PM

So sorry for the delayed response. The forum is blocked at my work....!

Thank you all for your replies. I'll check out the Conti's and the Nittos!

Thanks again
      Go with 255/40-19, you can't really tell its a larger tire and the ride is much improved