7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise in rental Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Strange noise in rental Maxima

I just returned a Maxima after 7 days renting it while in Orlando. It made the weirdest noise several times during each outing. It became the joke of the week for my family.

It sounded kind of like a wiper blade or cleaning cloth on dry glass and lasted about one full second. I described it to my wife as a sneaky fart sound..lol. It was hard to pin down the location though. Sometimes it seemed under the hood/dash and sometimes in the rear. Sometimes it happened while going straight but also during slow (under 50) turns.

ANY ideas on what this was? We'd love to know, just to solve the mystery.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM

You sure someone in the family wasn't sneaking farts?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Love my '09

Hahaha. Folks are known to abuse rental cars. My wife rented an eclipse once. I don't WANT to tell you how she treated it.....
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We blamed the first one on our 5 year old. She LOVES to fart. It's been the hardest habit to break her of.

I wanted to abuse the gas pedal on that thing but my wife doesn't respond well to reckless driving.lol. Great car though. I haven't driven a vehicle with that kind of power/weight ratio in quite a while. It breathes fire!

I'd still love to know what that noise was.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 PM

ORG could he be talking about the ABS test that car does once its cooled down? That's the only noise I can think of... lol unless that rental has been beat to ****...
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 PM

I've heard about people abusing rental cars by farting in them. This confirms it!! I'm gonna give my next rental car hell!! Can't wait.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by esco115
ORG could he be talking about the ABS test that car does once its cooled down? That's the only noise I can think of... lol unless that rental has been beat to ****...
Old 06-25-2013, 09:57 PM

I rented a Max before buying one, it had some serious performance issues from what I believe to be low octane fuel(not getting into the octane argument with anyone just my two cents). There is a big difference in performance if a max is running premium fuel but economy/ mpg was similar. There is a possibility of engine knock from running bad/incorrect gas, but this wouldn't be a squeaky sound regardless it may lead you to believe there are gremlins present.

To add fuel to the fire I filled the tank with regular before giving it back, greasy rental car companies get what they deserve.

Last edited by MaxSport9; 06-25-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I generally treat a rental like it's my own. That's just me though.

It definitely wasn't engine related. I'm really surprised no one has a definite answer. I can't be the first to have experienced it..lol
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by MaxSport9
I rented a Max before buying one, it had some serious performance issues from what I believe to be low octane fuel(not getting into the octane argument with anyone just my two cents). There is a big difference in performance if a max is running premium fuel but economy/ mpg was similar. There is a possibility of engine knock from running bad/incorrect gas, but this wouldn't be a squeaky sound regardless it may lead you to believe there are gremlins present.

To add fuel to the fire I filled the tank with regular before giving it back, greasy rental car companies get what they deserve.
I too always add the lowest grade when returning a rental! why add premium when im getting rid of the car in a mile. I rented a max once it was considered a premium rental even though it's only an S model. Thats Hertz for you.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Rentals have pretty tough lives
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Banned

I rent a car twice a month on average. I beat the **** out of them.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pjr202
I just returned a Maxima after 7 days renting it while in Orlando. It made the weirdest noise several times during each outing. It became the joke of the week for my family.

It sounded kind of like a wiper blade or cleaning cloth on dry glass and lasted about one full second. I described it to my wife as a sneaky fart sound..lol. It was hard to pin down the location though. Sometimes it seemed under the hood/dash and sometimes in the rear. Sometimes it happened while going straight but also during slow (under 50) turns.

ANY ideas on what this was? We'd love to know, just to solve the mystery.
Well, seeings how you had this car in Orlando, it was probably one of Snow White's 7 dwarfs. Living here in Orlando, you get to see all sort's of "characters" some of which land in my Max from time to time. I can recall once in Tacoma there was an Artesian stuck in the engine that only one old gezer had seen........
Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
I rent a car twice a month on average. I beat the **** out of them.
Everyone thinks they beat the **** out of rental cars cause they drive them hard, I've had a couple buddies who did things to rental cars that blew my mind, it just shows how well these cars are built, but when ever I rent I take the insurance, but the insurance does not cover abusive driving or stupidity

I've seen the extreme side of rental cars, it does not happen to often but occasionally some sinister bastards do some crazy **** with cars and it not driving them hard
Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by STARR
Everyone thinks they beat the **** out of rental cars cause they drive them hard, I've had a couple buddies who did things to rental cars that blew my mind, it just shows how well these cars are built, but when ever I rent I take the insurance, but the insurance does not cover abusive driving or stupidity

I've seen the extreme side of rental cars, it does not happen to often but occasionally some sinister bastards do some crazy **** with cars and it not driving them hard
I usually just accelerate and brake very hard and blast on/off ramps etc. Try and take it to the limit, etc. What sucks is they are all autos ;( thank god for manual mode though.

Depending on where I am I usually try and find a parking lot to play around in for 5-10m and then leave quick before any cops show up.

I guess I really don't beat them that hard I don't off road because if I get stuck I am ****ed. I am sure people are worse then I am but I am sure not easy.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It made the noise both shortly after starting down the road and after warming up. I don't think it ever did it in park. though. Even if it had been someone's derby car, this was still a noise caused by some kind of motor I think. Maybe it was in the blower?

And I don't understand why people want to dog rental cars like that. I know the companies expect it and all, but I treat other people's stuff the same as I would treat my own. It's the same crap when people are renting a house or apartment and trash it all up and beat the crap out of the walls, etc. No offense intended, but that's pretty low class.

Last edited by Pjr202; 06-28-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pjr202
It made the noise both shortly after starting down the road and after warming up. I don't think it ever did it in park. though. Even if it had been someone's derby car, this was still a noise caused by some kind of motor I think. Maybe it was in the blower?

And I don't understand why people want to dog rental cars like that. I know the companies expect it and all, but I treat other people's stuff the same as I would treat my own. It's the same crap when people are renting a house or apartment and trash it all up and beat the crap out of the walls, etc. No offense intended, but that's pretty low class.
I am sure what you felt or heard is the ABS self check that the car does once you hit 20-30mph on a cold start or when the car has been sitting for a few mins.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by esco115
I am sure what you felt or heard is the ABS self check that the car does once you hit 20-30mph on a cold start or when the car has been sitting for a few mins.
I guess that sounds logical since you mentioned 20-30mph or sitting. The first time we heard it was after accelerating from the rental lot at the airport, then we sat in a lot of traffic just a few miles down the road. And now that you mention it, we did quite a bit of sitting in traffic during the week and heard it a lot while in those situations.

Thanks! I'll tell the wife..lol