7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

CXJ Spacers Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 02:11 PM

CXJ Spacers Install questions

So ive ordered the CXJ manifold spacers months ago, but those parts have been sitting in my apt, with other mods ive purchased and have yet to install (mainly because ive been super busy with work and other things).

Im creating this post mainly to the guys that have already installed the spacers, im new to to engine work, but im gonna tackle this install with a friend who has experience in this region. To cut to the chase, i have 3 questions to ask regarding the install:

1. For the throttle body bypass, did anyone skip this step? Im debating skipping it just because it does get cold sometimes in NY, i also dont wanna run into any serious problems by bypassing the coolant. Anyway, for those that skipped this step, did you still notice a decent boost in performance?

2. I know not to touch the throttle body valve, i just wanna get an idea if the valve is easily moved? Because i dont want to remove the throttle body, and as im applying the spacer i dont want the valve to move on its own from me just handling it.

3. The end of the DIY doc mentions doing amd ECU reset, an idle relearn and a throttle valve closed position learning, just curious but are these necessary?

Like i said im sort of new to engine work, (although im pretty good with tools and my hands) any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everybody!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by kaoz
So ive ordered the CXJ manifold spacers months ago, but those parts have been sitting in my apt, with other mods ive purchased and have yet to install (mainly because ive been super busy with work and other things).

Im creating this post mainly to the guys that have already installed the spacers, im new to to engine work, but im gonna tackle this install with a friend who has experience in this region. To cut to the chase, i have 3 questions to ask regarding the install:

1. For the throttle body bypass, did anyone skip this step? Im debating skipping it just because it does get cold sometimes in NY, i also dont wanna run into any serious problems by bypassing the coolant. Anyway, for those that skipped this step, did you still notice a decent boost in performance?

2. I know not to touch the throttle body valve, i just wanna get an idea if the valve is easily moved? Because i dont want to remove the throttle body, and as im applying the spacer i dont want the valve to move on its own from me just handling it.

3. The end of the DIY doc mentions doing amd ECU reset, an idle relearn and a throttle valve closed position learning, just curious but are these necessary?

Like i said im sort of new to engine work, (although im pretty good with tools and my hands) any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everybody!
1. I skipped the coolant bypass. Still noticed gains. Couldn't say if they would've been better with that bypass done, but it's one less thing for me to worry about and I've still loved the outcome from installing the spacers.

2. It's not hard to avoid touching it. Just be careful, and you won't screw anything up on accident. Don't be too worried, just be careful.

3. I had dc'd my battery, and by the time the install was done and I hooked it back up the ECU had been reset. I didn't do anything more than that. Haven't had a single issue.

*. The install is not hard. The instructions are perfect. It's a little intimidating at first, but just dive in confidently and know that you'll be fine with the excellent instructions. Look them up in the forums where you can use the great color pictures to know exactly what you're looking for. If you're not part of the Facebook group already, join it. Then if you get stuck you can have questions answered usually a little quicker than if you just came asking the questions here. Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Perfect, this helps alot serpent. I'm also looking fir no problems down the line.

Thanks again for the response.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 PM

hey bro i wrote the install instructions, dont worry about it just like Serpent said take everything slow and don't rush it. you honestly dont need to worry about skipping the throttle body bypass unless you live in Canada or somewhere where it gets REALLY cold. i dont think anyones done before/after dyno pulls with just the spacers installed so it'd be hard to guestimate what gains you may be sacrificing by keeping the scorching hot coolant running through the t.b. regarding the last step dont really worry about that, just drive the car around and over time it will get used to the new parts.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 PM

Thanks ghozt, ill be doing it this weekend.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 PM

Good luck. Seriously, if you've got a Facebook account and aren't a part of the group/s you should join. Quick answers if you need help. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent
Good luck. Seriously, if you've got a Facebook account and aren't a part of the group/s you should join. Quick answers if you need help. Let us know how it goes.
I have my fb deactivated, but if I run into issues ill log on, what's the name if the group ?

Also is there a specific rtv gasket maker to use ? I'm just thinking about going to an auto store tomorrow and asking for some lol.

Thanks again serpent.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 AM

Ask for the gasket seal maker
Old 08-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Just finished the install, removing those studs from the manifold was a PITA ! Mainly because I got ahead of myself and didn't look at the step by step instructions.

I can't wait to drive it !!! I just don't know how long I should wait grrrr lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:32 PM

o man i wanna order but nervous abt install my self .... gonna do it.... have to do it!!! lol
Old 08-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by chiefy
o man i wanna order but nervous abt install my self .... gonna do it.... have to do it!!! lol
Go for it, I was nervous too lol. But as the guys above mentioned, it really isn't that bad. Plus the step by step instructions are REALLY GOOD. Ghozt did an excellent job with the write up.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 PM

How does the car Feel And how much better does it perform?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by chiefy
How does the car Feel And how much better does it perform?
I feel like it performs better, I definitely feel the difference after driving it around for a day. I would definitely recommend it. There's also a nice roar to it now. I also noticed a good gain on the lower end, which is perfect for me.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 PM

My friend and I managed to do the Manifolds without any directions from online, the paper was simple enough to understand. Just be careful and use large towels for the holes!