7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do or have you had an engine knock in park at warm idle on your 2009-13 Maxima
No, my 7th generation has more than 5,000 miles and no engine noise
65.13%
Possibly but it hasn't been diagnosed by Nissan yet
12.61%
Yes and my Short Block was replaced
2.94%
Yes and I had the bearing replaced per the TSB
6.30%
Yes and I have yet to take action
13.03%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
For this issue, if you have it, you're covered by Nissan up to 120k. I want to say they only offer that on '09 & '10 models and stopped it on '11 and up models, if I recall correctly...
Mine is a 2010 model. My knocking or puttering noise sounds HORRIBLE. Remember, I had an oil change two afternoons ago, so I wonder if I have a different issue altogether. I genuinely hope I have a completely different issue.

Video #1 (from underneath the car): http://youtu.be/sxkfHPH8GaI
Here is what mine sounded like after driving around for about 15-20 minutes. Again, it is very obvious and very loud - something is not right.

Video #2 (from inside the cabin and then onto the front of the car: http://youtu.be/szWPo4YP8aQ
Here is the noise from when I am sitting in the car. It is only audible when at idle/park. I can't hear it while the vehicle is actually moving, and it could be that I haven't noticed this noise until now because I usually have the Radio and/or HVAC on. Take note that the noise sounds worse at Park vs. Reverse vs. Drive.

Video #3 (noise is NOT present at cold startup): http://youtu.be/szWPo4YP8aQ
Last but not least, here is a video from the car right at cold startup.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 PM

my car has to stay at the body shop one more day.
You wana hear something funny? I just came back from the Subaru dealer with my girlfriend, where the 2015 Outback she ordered from the factory arrived. Guess what. There is a strong whistling noise coming from the windshield at speeds as low as 20 MPH. there is a 35 (so far) page thread at subaruoutback.org on this issue. Subaru has not fixed yet. We refused to take delivery of the car. Not sure we can take our $500 deposit back though. But I was so fed up that I said fkkn no.
Why is it so fkkn hard to get a brand fkkn new car with no defects??
Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Comp625
Video #1 (from underneath the car): http://youtu.be/sxkfHPH8GaI
Here is what mine sounded like after driving around for about 15-20 minutes. Again, it is very obvious and very loud - something is not right.
Its not right.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
You mean like this guys car ? How many people are getting pics of the motor as for a while the blocks were being replaced and sent back to Nissan

https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ts-w-pics.html

You can also follow his story more in dept on this thread at post #65

https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ml#post8863745

Luckily the engine most likely won't fail but I know it still sucks
This is 1 example, yes I've seen it before on this thread. The VQ35DE is installed in Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, Murano and others. My point is, the net is not showing as many reports of failure or even bearing noise to the extent that THIS FORUM is showing the problem.

Either we are cursed at Maxima.org or hypersensitive?

Unless there is some specific engine build process that is unique for engines to be installed into Maxima's...I think based on the popularity of the problem here it would also show up in other Nissan car / truck forums to the same or greater extent given that Maxima's are not exactly the volume leader in the Nissan product line-up.

Yes, I know that every Max is built with a VQ35DE, but I think you should be able to agree that there are far more non-Maxima Nissans out there with the VQ35DE than installed in our Maximas since 2009.

Last edited by KGMtech; 10-10-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Either we are cursed at Maxima.org or hypersensitive?
Obviously everybody on this forum with the issue is just a big baby and there is no real problem.

I figured most people on this forum would have the knowledge to know the TSB in this case is issues for the motor. If that EXACT same motor was/is in the cars you mentioned than there would also be a TSB ( or more likely one TSB would cover all the models) for that specific model.

IMO this thread should be about getting cars fixed and ( possibly) owners compensated, not about arguing if a real issue acknowledged by Nissan exists.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-10-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM

here's mine. I think I know the answer but take a hear

Old 10-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by assiduous

Mine went knock away in gear, does yours ?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:28 PM

This thread depresses me.
Hope I'll stay exempt, good luck to all who are afflicted.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Mine went knock away in gear, does yours ?
goes away almost completely, but perhaps not completely. Can't tell if its completely, but definitely shuts it down a lot.

I got the car with free life time powertrain warranty, but I've worked a lot on my cars, and the very thought of my brand new car having this problem destroys me. Not sure what to do now though.. fix it or drive as is and get rid of it in a few years.

I understand your brand new car having issues like rattles and rocking seat, but if they can't even give you a defect free engine, i should be able to return the fukkeen car altogether and get my money back.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:39 PM

whats the difference when its cold? Oil is thicker? Wondering if running heavier oil will muffle the noise. 6k miles as I write this. even if heavier oil works, why should I do this on a brand new 35000 $ car.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:45 PM

goes away almost completely, but perhaps not completely. Can't tell if its completely, but definitely shuts it down a lot.

I got the car with free life time powertrain warranty, but I've worked a lot on my cars, and the very thought of my brand new car having this problem destroys me. Not sure what to do now though.. fix it or drive as is and get rid of it in a few years.

I understand your brand new car having issues like rattles and rocking seat, but if they can't even give you a defect free engine, i should be able to return the fukkeen car altogether and get my money back.
You already had the bearing done and the knock returned , correct

If so I would go to the dealer and get Nissan consumer involved ASAP and demand a new block.

GL
Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 PM

that was someone else. My car has 6k miles
Old 10-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Obviously everybody on this forum with the issue is just a big baby and there is no real problem.

I figured most people on this forum would have the knowledge to know the TSB in this case is issues for the motor. If that EXACT same motor was/is in the cars you mentioned than there would also be a TSB ( or more likely one TSB would cover all the models) for that specific model.

IMO this thread should be about getting cars fixed and ( possibly) owners compensated, not about arguing if a real issue acknowledged by Nissan exists.
You have me totally wrong. The owners with this problem will get their cars fixed or not regardless of what happens at this forum, or what I say or wonder about. And no, I don't work for Nissan.

I have empathy for anyone that is dealing with this issue, it would be upsetting, inconvenient and perhaps turn off owners to the brand.

So lets leave the emotions out of this thread. I want facts.

1. Is the VQ35DE is built differently for Maxima application? Anyone know?

2. Connecting rod bearing noise would get worse with increasing revs and oil pressure would drop as the clearances increased. Prompt engine failure will be the end result. Additionally, you'd expect to see flakes of metal on the dipstick. I don't see that observation reported.

3. We have noise issues in park & neutral, that go away in gear. Or go away with added revs in park & neutral. This is not consistent with typical connecting rod bearing failure symptoms, the opposite would be expected.

To all that have this problem, I feel for you, but I also remain unconvinced that the problem is 100% understood by Nissan and with that, I doubt the current TSB will be effective.

Keep in mind that if this problem is not solved, I risk the issue with my own 2013.

Last edited by KGMtech; 10-10-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:22 PM

To all that have this problem, I feel for you, but I also remain unconvinced that the problem is 100% understood by Nissan and with that, I doubt the current TSB will be effective.

Keep in mind that if this problem is not solved, I risk the issue with my own 2013.
The problem is not solved as 2014's have the issue.

I would bet $$$ eventually a 2015 owner shows up in this thread with the same issue.

I agree 100% about the TSB though, I got a new block and would have never let them rip my new motor apart to do that job.

You have me totally wrong. The owners with this problem will get their cars fixed or not regardless of what happens at this forum, or what I say or wonder about
Without this thread I would have never known to ask for the free 8 year Gold warranty that I was given and several people have taken the TSB to the dealer when told the problem was normal

Even with all that some people ( who had the bearing replaced) still don't have the problem corrected.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-10-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:33 AM

You have me totally wrong. The owners with this problem will get their cars fixed or not regardless of what happens at this forum, or what I say or wonder about. And no, I don't work for Nissan.

I have empathy for anyone that is dealing with this issue, it would be upsetting, inconvenient and perhaps turn off owners to the brand.

So lets leave the emotions out of this thread. I want facts.

1. Is the VQ35DE is built differently for Maxima application? Anyone know?

2. Connecting rod bearing noise would get worse with increasing revs and oil pressure would drop as the clearances increased. Prompt engine failure will be the end result. Additionally, you'd expect to see flakes of metal on the dipstick. I don't see that observation reported.

3. We have noise issues in park & neutral, that go away in gear. Or go away with added revs in park & neutral. This is not consistent with typical connecting rod bearing failure symptoms, the opposite would be expected.

I must have missed something and I'm not going back through 450 posts to figure it out. I thought that the TSB was for the #1 main bearing out of spec that was causing the knock. My 2010 with 120,000 miles has the knock and has had it since new. Oil analyses have been ok. The noise bugs me, but I'm not worrying about it. No point in worrying - when it blows, it blows....but I don't think that will happen.

It makes noise in park/neutral and also in drive at low speeds. I hear the knock up until around 4000rpm, unless the car is actually moving and in drive with the torque converter locked. As soon as the torque converter locks, the noise is gone on mine (high or low speed). At a stop, in drive, it knocks. When pulling out, it knocks, but as soon as the TC is in lock-up, no more knock.

I personally think that somehow, then the TC locks, it somehow stabilizes the crankshaft and the noise goes away??

Late,
Trav
Old 10-13-2014, 08:37 PM

I still can't determine whether my 2013 Maxima has this issue, or whether it's just the sound the engine is working with. For those who experienced this problem, can you please, tell me if the sound/nocking is continuous (once it starts after the car is warmed up)? For example, I can hear a louder then normal sort of beating sound coming from the engine area under the certain engine mode only. Once the mode changes, the sound disappears, then I can hear it again later. Very concerned, since I just bought it brand new in July this year, and it only has just about 3,500 km on it.
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 AM

i was not sure like you. Here is how you can find out for sure. After you have driven the car for at least 15-20 mins (not just warmed up) put it in a garage. Then bring your ear really close to the passenger side of the engine. I could not hear the knocking until I put my head real close. But when I did, there is no doubt it is not 'clicking' but knocking metal to metal. You can even put your phone deeper in the engine bay with your hand, and then listen with good speakers. I can hear on my video now better than just listening in front of the car with the hood popped.

All of the 2009 problems seem to be still present the 2014 cars, cars manufactured 5 years later. This really tells you something.. Nissan just doesn't give a ****, do they?

Last edited by assiduous; 10-14-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 PM

Thank you assiduous,
So far I do no think I can sense the "metal to metal" sound, but definitely I can hear the louder than normal "beating" sound coming from the engine side after about 20 minutes of driving. I will keep monitoring...

Thanks.

i was not sure like you. Here is how you can find out for sure. After you have driven the car for at least 15-20 mins (not just warmed up) put it in a garage. Then bring your ear really close to the passenger side of the engine. I could not hear the knocking until I put my head real close. But when I did, there is no doubt it is not 'clicking' but knocking metal to metal. You can even put your phone deeper in the engine bay with your hand, and then listen with good speakers. I can hear on my video now better than just listening in front of the car with the hood popped.

All of the 2009 problems seem to be still present the 2014 cars, cars manufactured 5 years later. This really tells you something.. Nissan just doesn't give a ****, do they?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:41 AM

the runaround

Hi all,
Does anyone have documents stating the received a free gold warranty? I was told they weren't then told I should not worry about what other cases got. Really? Can someone share a fix with me so I can plead my case I would be grateful.

Last edited by Bificus99; 12-10-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: grammar n spelling due to mobile device
Old 12-10-2014, 09:43 AM

141,000 miles plus and I've never heard any knocking noise.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bificus99
Hi all,
Does anyone have documents stating the received a free gold warranty? I was told they weren't then told I should not worry about what other cases got. Really? Can someone share a fix with me so I can plead my case I would be grateful.
Originally Posted by Tuckert
I just went thru this myself. I have a 2012 Maxima S with 15,000 mile and they had to replace the short block because of cracks within the block behind the timing chain. You will need to call Nissan Consumer Affairs ( 800-343-6913) to report your case. Once completed make sure you get a case / claim number. Also you will need to advise your Nissan dealer ( The Service Manger) as to the steps your taking and that you want an extended warranty. Nissan Consumer Affairs will be working closely with them to make sure that your situation gets resolved. I currently have been working with them for over a month and was told last week that I will be getting Nissan's Gold Preferred extended warranty ( 7 yr / 100k / $ 0 Deductible Nissan best warranty). FYI - This warranty is non transferable
Knock knock? New to ME 2012 CPO SV
I get a knock after driving on the highway. I came home one night not too long ago and I heard a knock. I like the engine to idle just a bit to cool off after a highway trip. That's when I first heard it. Its repeatable if I drive a little bit, not just getting to normal temps sitting in the driveway. I already have the gold warranty but I just offloaded a PITA Jetta for this? Made 3 payments on it so far.
I thought you bought the gold warranty with the car ?

I received the Gold Warranty as did the person above and some others I believe so they are lying to you.

Didn't you buy your car used ? I was the original owner and it had about 3K miles. If you had your motor done at around 25K they probably don't treat it the same as far as compensation especially if you are not the original owner.

Good Luck

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 12-11-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Shiver me timbers.

I was considering the 7th Gen Maxima as my next car as I have owned 5 Maximas in the past including my current oil burning 2002. Looks like I will be taking the Maxima off of my list and going back to only considering the G35, G37, or M35 as my next car. Thanks for this thread.

I wish everyone luck with getting this resolved with Nissan.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:38 AM

FWIW I was aware of this issue and still purchased my 2014 last December. So far no regrets. Other than some small annoying issues It's been a great vehicle. I considered Infiniti also but there are some great deals available on 7th Gen Maxima's. The 7th Gen is priced considerably less that the Infiniti and I did not feel that the Infiniti is worth the extra cost. You take a chance with almost any car you buy.

There are some on here that have had their engine repaired and are still pleased with the car.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
FWIW I was aware of this issue and still purchased my 2014 last December. So far no regrets. Other than some small annoying issues It's been a great vehicle. I considered Infiniti also but there are some great deals available on 7th Gen Maxima's. The 7th Gen is priced considerably less that the Infiniti and I did not feel that the Infiniti is worth the extra cost. You take a chance with almost any car you buy.

There are some on here that have had their engine repaired and are still pleased with the car.
Agreed. Personally owning 4 previous Gens I've always had a great experiences over the years. Nissan took a risk going a new style that no other company dare to try and I thank them for that. Yeah we're not the fastest car out there, but we're definitely one of the sexiest!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxfanfromohio
I was considering the 7th Gen Maxima as my next car as I have owned 5 Maximas in the past including my current oil burning 2002. Looks like I will be taking the Maxima off of my list and going back to only considering the G35, G37, or M35 as my next car. Thanks for this thread.

I wish everyone luck with getting this resolved with Nissan.

I wouldn't take the Max off your list, just listen for the knock before you buy
Old 12-11-2014, 05:52 PM

Got my engine replaced at 57K earlier this year, now sitting at about 73K with no issue!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 PM

I thought you bought the gold warranty with the car ?
Yes, I asked if they would give the warranty to me instead.
I received the Gold Warranty as did the person above and some others I believe so they are lying to you.
Yeah that has been denied twice now.
Didn't you buy your car used ? I was the original owner and it had about 3K miles. If you had your motor done at around 25K they probably don't treat it the same as far as compensation especially if you are not the original owner.
I did it is CPO so that did not come up at all.
Good Luck
So I tried, if anyone has a doc please send it and I will not reveal any info.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2010 SV with 54k

My last UOA at 49k showed lead jumped from 0ppm to 10ppm, cited by Blackstone as most likely being bearing wear. I didn't think much of it and figured I'd wait until my next UOA which I just sent off. Not sure what made me decide to surf the board tonight, but glad I did. I've always thought the Maxima had a noisy idle when warm, looks like I'll be investigating further tomorrow.

For some reason I'm having a hard time getting a decent PDF of the TSB. If anybody has one they can post so I can have it in hand I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by ricknyce
Got my engine replaced at 57K earlier this year, now sitting at about 73K with no issue!!!
Main bearing?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:29 PM

So I tried, if anyone has a doc please send it and I will not reveal any info.
My warranty was given to me via a phone conversation with Nissan so there is no proof as to why I got it so I doubt it would help.

If I am reading this correct you want a refund on the Gold Warranty you already purchased with your used car.

IMO the chances of Nissan refunding your warranty price because of an issue covered under warranty on a 2 year old car with 25K miles is on the corner of Slim and None.

GL

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 12-12-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:10 PM

My warranty was given to me via a phone conversation with Nissan so there is no proof as to why I got it so I doubt it would help.

If I am reading this correct you want a refund on the Gold Warranty you already purchased with your used car.

IMO the chances of Nissan refunding your warranty price because of an issue covered under warranty on a 2 year old car with 25K miles is on the corner of Slim and None.

GL
Yeah had to try. Thanks man.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wishbone
Main bearing?

Yes, it was the main bearing
Old 12-15-2014, 11:41 AM

can anybody listen to this and tell me what you think?

I had a second dealer tell me my engine has no issue.

I was not allowed to talk to a mechanic though. Don't want to offend anyone, but I really get ticked when a sales person puts an ear to my hood and tells me 'its fine'. He claimed he had it inspected but i don't know if I can believe him. I definitely hear a knock. Don't know if its bearing or something else, but its annoying as hell.
When you have driven a long time, like an hour, you can hear the knock from inside the car, ON GEAR. Not loud, and may be because I am overly tuned to that noise, but I do hear it.

I have lifetime warrany on the engine and transmission (FREE, part of the purchase), so i'm not that worried that the engine blows, but the noise drives me nuts. I find it completely unacceptable on a brand new fkkn car with a 40k sticker.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:04 PM

I hear the knock in there. I had to wait til it was blatantly obvious to take it in and get the diagnosis.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:27 PM

That sounds pretty obvious already.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:39 AM

I was not allowed to talk to a mechanic though. Don't want to offend anyone, but I really get ticked when a sales person puts an ear to my hood and tells me 'its fine'. He claimed he had it inspected but i don't know if I can believe him. I definitely hear a knock. Don't know if its bearing or something else, but its annoying as hell.
When you have driven a long time, like an hour, you can hear the knock from inside the car, ON GEAR. Not loud, and may be because I am overly tuned to that noise, but I do hear it.

I have lifetime warrany on the engine and transmission (FREE, part of the purchase), so i'm not that worried that the engine blows, but the noise drives me nuts. I find it completely unacceptable on a brand new fkkn car with a 40k sticker.

Sounds like you may have that problem sir... If you go back to the earlier dates you will see & hear videos that I posted with the problem. I was able able to get a brand new long block thru NISSAN at no cost to me.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yep, I hear a knock.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:59 PM

Sadly, I think I have this issue as well on 2014 with 4,000 miles. First noticed it today when I got home (from first oil change ironically), and parked my car at end of driveway to retrieve recycle bin that had blown down street. Walked past passenger front of car and noticed rather loud "clack clack clack" sound, which reminded me of a small hammer hitting a dense piece of metal. Raised hood and sound emanates from front passenger side of engine, and is similar to videos posted in this thread.

I let car sit an hour and when I restarted it the noise was gone. Drove it for 30 minutes and upon return home noise had returned. In a bit of a twist from some other experiences posted here, when I had wife change to reverse, neutral, and drive, the noise stayed the same and did not get quieter.

I checked oil level and it was okay. Car is going back to dealer Friday to be checked out. Will keep you all posted.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:02 PM

Sorry to hear about that . My question is why isn't there a fix in the new engines being put out (thus would eliminate any bad words getting out there about this engine and the bearing failure ) come in Nissan you are losing precious word of mouth ! And some bad cvts ??my max is fine but just the being unconvinced is very frustrating and would deter me from buying another Nissan in the future . I went from a used 2001 to a 2011 with a few minor problems a blown door speaker with 19,000 miles on it (bose) a good with a painted in smear from the factory then the dealer didn't even put the panel back in right had to do myself . The service tech was good at first but then became an *** , and his boss didn't even really talk.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bheintze
Sadly, I think I have this issue as well on 2014 with 4,000 miles. First noticed it today when I got home (from first oil change ironically), and parked my car at end of driveway to retrieve recycle bin that had blown down street. Walked past passenger front of car and noticed rather loud "clack clack clack" sound, which reminded me of a small hammer hitting a dense piece of metal. Raised hood and sound emanates from front passenger side of engine, and is similar to videos posted in this thread.

I let car sit an hour and when I restarted it the noise was gone. Drove it for 30 minutes and upon return home noise had returned. In a bit of a twist from some other experiences posted here, when I had wife change to reverse, neutral, and drive, the noise stayed the same and did not get quieter.

I checked oil level and it was okay. Car is going back to dealer Friday to be checked out. Will keep you all posted.
UPDATE

So my initial suspicions were correct. Took Maxima to dealer this morning who confirmed #1 bearing issue. Part has been ordered and is currently on back order. Service Manager was very helpful and confirmed tech will check engine for damage when it is apart.

For the record my car is a 2014 SV Sport purchased new in early October, 2014. I noticed the issue immediately after the first oil change (which I had performed at 4,154 miles), when I walked past the front of the car while it was idling after having taken a 30 minute trip home from the dealer. It sounded similar to the videos posted in this thread previously. The sound went away on cold start-ups, and is not noticeable from inside the car, even with the radio/heat off. If someone takes their car to the dealer for a similar issue, I would suggest leaving the car on when you pull into the service bay, as the noise will go away when the engine cools.

I started a claim with Nissan Consumer Affairs and am supposed to be getting a response from a Regional Rep on 1/5. Rep I spoke to today said they will attempt to expedite back-ordered parts as well.

From the information outlined previously it looks as though: 1) new blocks and repaired bearings in old blocks will possibly have same issue, and 2) cars with issue even over 100,000 miles have not suffered catastrophic breakdowns. Based on this information I am fine keeping my original engine, but I want Nissan to give me their longest extended warranty on the powertrain, since my brand new engine is about to be ripped apart for an issue that Nissan knew about years ago and failed to correct.

Still love the car, but cannot say I will keep it nearly as long as I did my Camry SE V6. Frankly, I just do not trust Nissan at this point. I cannot believe they would not have resolved this issue when it initially manifested itself. My hunch is that Nissan is hoping the majority of owners simply do not notice this issue or think it is normal. I am not surprised that Maxima owners seem to be experiencing this issue more than other Nissan owners, as this is a sportier car that attracts those of us (weirdos) who would notice such things.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. The information in here is invaluable.

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems