7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Do or have you had an engine knock in park at warm idle on your 2009-13 Maxima
No, my 7th generation has more than 5,000 miles and no engine noise
65.13%
Possibly but it hasn't been diagnosed by Nissan yet
12.61%
Yes and my Short Block was replaced
2.94%
Yes and I had the bearing replaced per the TSB
6.30%
Yes and I have yet to take action
13.03%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kawowski
I'm not sure your argument will work though... more man hours for a $20 part (bearing) is much cheaper than less man hours for an $8000+ part (engine.)

Update on my situation... Nissan Corporate called today and said they are working on getting me some type of warranty extension but it will not be the Gold Preferred bumper to bumper others have got. She stated it will be a powertrain extension, but she isn't sure that she will even be able to get that (or anything at all.) Camry, here I come!

And if you had problems with a Camry you would say Nissan here I come so research any car you buy

Makes sense about the warranty since yor car was aready out of the B to B warranty

I still can't figure out how the same mechanic who heard your bearing noise and replaced the block is not hearing the same noise again since it's back

Updated poll 14 - 12, slight edge to the good engines
Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 4DSCMikeHz
Update: a week in the shop and still driving the Versa....I'm hoping to get the car back by Monday at the latest
Update to the update: Looks like the bearings were badly worn and caused enough wear on the surrounding parts that I'm getting a new short block. Only downside, the car won't be ready until late next week...that makes 2 full weeks and probably counting

How can I update my reply to the poll to include one more short block replacement?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:16 PM

Update to the update: Looks like the bearings were badly worn and caused enough wear on the surrounding parts that I'm getting a new short block. Only downside, the car won't be ready until late next week...that makes 2 full weeks and probably counting

How can I update my reply to the poll to include one more short block replacement?
I forget what year your car is but in MN 30 shop days ( total, not one visit) in the first two years activates the Lemon Law

I'm not sure how to update the poll as I would also like to add a question asking if any 2009's have this issue.

Maybe a MOD here can chime in ?

I guess the important part is that we get an idea of how many cars are effected. With the current tally being about 45% of the 34 votes with bearing issues it's starting to seem as if this problem is much bigger than Nissan is letting on.

Good news that you are getting the new block as that bearing job is not easy.

What concerns me now is if the new blocks are any better given we have one member have the noise return in 3 months after getting a replacement block.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-26-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Dammit... I always thought this was a normal sound at 10k miles

Only Owner 2012 Maxima (46 miles off the lot)
-Noticed at 10k miles
-30k I did research and yeah.....

Im glad I have this site but THIS SUCKS!!

Its like finding out my baby having an STD...I know its there but I keep on using her but she's so hot

hahaha fmlfjkwfhkahkgfhakghkahg;kaerg
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by GNCMaxima
Dammit... I always thought this was a normal sound at 10k miles

Only Owner 2012 Maxima (46 miles off the lot)
-Noticed at 10k miles
-30k I did research and yeah.....

Im glad I have this site but THIS SUCKS!!

Its like finding out my baby having an STD...I know its there but I keep on using her but she's so hot

hahaha fmlfjkwfhkahkgfhakghkahg;kaerg
Be happy you found it before 60K unless you have an extended warranty

Get Nissan Consumer affairs involved and ask for the Gold Preferred warranty as compensation

Please vote in the poll and let other forum members know if they haven't checked and keep us informed to how you make out.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
Be happy you found it before 60K unless you have an extended warranty

Get Nissan Consumer affairs involved and ask for the Gold Preferred warranty as compensation

Please vote in the poll and let other forum members know if they haven't checked and keep us informed to how you make out.
Do i qualify for the Lemon Law? Never heard of it till now. Bought all my 4 maximas new and never really had to consider it. Had the car for 1 year and put 30k miles on it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 PM

Damn, I want to replace my 98SE, that I have been driving for the last 15 years, with a new Maxima. Not buying anything until Nissan addresses this issue with something more than just a technical service bulletin.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM

Do i qualify for the Lemon Law? Never heard of it till now. Bought all my 4 maximas new and never really had to consider it. Had the car for 1 year and put 30k miles on it.
Lemon laws vary state to state. In Minnesota it's 30 shop days within the first 2 years of service

I'm at 14 shop days with 16 months to go

The Gold warranty they gave me makes it a fair trade saying nothing else major happens
Old 10-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Lemon laws vary state to state. In Minnesota it's 30 shop days within the first 2 years of service

I'm at 14 shop days with 16 months to go

The Gold warranty they gave me makes it a fair trade saying nothing else major happens
30 shop visits TOTAL? or does it have to be one current problem 30 times?

Also to get into more in depth. Is there a time space required for the 30 days? Like going in everyday for 30 straight days? Also does it count if u leave ur car there for x amount of days?

Last edited by GNCMaxima; 10-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 PM

30 shop visits TOTAL? or for one current problem?

The Car has to be in the shop 30 TOTAL days within the first 2 years of service and it's still not cut and dry. It's every service visit combined. Seems like they get one last chance if they want to push it.

Laws vary by state and it's business days so Sundays and Holidays don't count unless your dealers service is open.

Example would be if they replace your bearing per the TSB and you drop the car off Sunday night and Pick it up Saturday that would b 5 days so you need additional problems within the time frame that add up to 30 days

Basically within 2 years of when the car was sold new it has to spend over a month at the dealer to enact the lemon law in MN

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-27-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM

The Car has to be in the shop 30 TOTAL days within the first 2 years of service and it's still not cut and dry. It's every service visit combined. Seems like they get one last chance if they want to push it.

Laws vary by state and it's business days so Sundays and Holidays don't count unless your dealers service is open.

Example would be if they replace your bearing per the TSB and you drop the car off Sunday night and Pick it up Saturday that would b 5 days so you need additional problems within the time frame that add up to 30 days

Basically within 2 years of when the car was sold new it has to spend over a month at the dealer to enact the lemon law in MN
Whoa really? Im close to 28 days and that's low balling it. I guess I would have to find some way to prove this before I tell them about this act. Im going to the dealership right now to fix this bearing issues. Any advice or tips would help. Im not good at being a **** or aggressive. . .im too nice/humble lol
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM

Whoa really? Im close to 28 days and that's low balling it. I guess I would have to find some way to prove this before I tell them about this act. Im going to the dealership right now to fix this bearing issues. Any advice or tips would help. Im not good at being a **** or aggressive. . .im too nice/humble lol
First, what issues has you car had that made it spend 28 days at the dealer in a year and a half or so ?

I would print out the TSB and call Nisan Consumer to open a case before going to the dealer

What state are you in ? You need to checks your states lemon laws, what I quoted was for Minnesota

If you read the whole thread you can follow my story from the first time I heard the noise to resolution including the free Gold preferred 8 year warranty I received as compensation, being you car has had so many problems prior to the bearing you should ask Nissan for the same.

Any questions just ask

I must say this poll is very surprising, starting the think at least 25% of all Max's are effected

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-28-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:36 AM

First, what issues has you car had that made it spend 28 days at the dealer in a year and a half or so ?

I would print out the TSB and call Nisan Consumer to open a case before going to the dealer

What state are you in ? You need to checks your states lemon laws, what I quoted was for Minnesota

If you read the whole thread you can follow my story from the first time I heard the noise to resolution including the free Gold preferred 8 year warranty I received as compensation, being you car has had so many problems prior to the bearing you should ask Nissan for the same.

Any questions just ask

I must say this poll is very surprising, starting the think at least 25% of all Max's are effected
Yeah ill list them off when I get home. Just got to thw dealership in Addison, Texas (635 and tollway) They asked me a million questions about my car and said they wouldn't be sure if they can get to it today....There's 3 people here with 10 cars max in front of me. I told them I will wait here all night for them to check it and je finally said okay? Wtf? No loaner either? Should I just pull up the TSB now?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 AM

Yeah ill list them off when I get home. Just got to thw dealership in Addison, Texas (635 and tollway) They asked me a million questions about my car and said they wouldn't be sure if they can get to it today....There's 3 people here with 10 cars max in front of me. I told them I will wait here all night for them to check it and je finally said okay? Wtf? No loaner either? Should I just pull up the TSB now?
I would call Nissan Consumer and open a case and have the TSB in hand to show them BEFORE they look at it.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 AM

I would call Nissan Consumer and open a case and have the TSB in hand to show them BEFORE they look at it.
Even if I'm going on for a bearing issue? I mean not everyone with maximas would know this before this issue. Figured I would have them say there's a problem then have them replace the bearing
Old 10-28-2013, 11:50 AM

Im not talking about the lemon law yet just want my baby fixed lol should I call them now even for a check up? If so do you mind giving me the number please
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM

I made a case with nissan (25 min call for 3 minutes of information lol fml)

I might be weird but I always watch my car in the garage when its in service instead of the waiting room...The tech working on my car has been texting with just my hood pop.

Im a die hard nissan fan (9 nissans with my family) and this just hurts me a little bit each time

*Edit conclusion. . . We don't hear anything and its normal -__-

Last edited by GNCMaxima; 10-28-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM

I made a case with nissan (25 min call for 3 minutes of information lol fml)

I might be weird but I always watch my car in the garage when its in service instead of the waiting room...The tech working on my car has been texting with just my hood pop.

Im a die hard nissan fan (9 nissans with my family) and this just hurts me a little bit each time

*Edit conclusion. . . We don't hear anything and its normal -__-
Does your car sound like the video posted this thread when warm and in park ? Does it have a knocking sound at warm idle in park that goes away in gear ?

If so that's a bearing issue, many dealers are telling people it's normal, it's not

Video links are in my next reply

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ricknyce
This is what my car sounds like at a cold start

http://youtu.be/rpQPy2af2TQ

This is 10-15 minutes later after its warm

http://youtu.be/ELScvsuLAB8

The Good news is, I just left my local Stealership service department and they were pretty good about everything. They want me to set up a time to drop it off ((Which I will probably do on a week long vacation so its not on my mind as much)
Here are links to the videos, if you don't hear the knock in the second video when warm and in PARK you are good to go
Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Im not talking about the lemon law yet just want my baby fixed lol should I call them now even for a check up? If so do you mind giving me the number please

Just so you know, the Lemon law gives you back every dime you paid including tax, registration and even interest if you financed and above 0%

Given that Nissan lowered the MSRP and other discounts you might be able to get a new 2013 for less than what you paid

Of course since can 2013's also have this issue I would Lease it
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Here are links to the videos, if you don't hear the knock in the second video when warm and in PARK you are good to go
At what number of miles can you consider yourself relatively safe from developing the problem?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a '13 S at just over 21k miles and haven't noticed any kind of knocking. Now that it's getting colder and leaving my house at 6AM for work, I am now usually sitting in my car for a bit to let the car warm up and windows get defrosted. I'll have to listen in and see if I notice anything.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Warriors55
I have a '13 S at just over 21k miles and haven't noticed any kind of knocking. Now that it's getting colder and leaving my house at 6AM for work, I am now usually sitting in my car for a bit to let the car warm up and windows get defrosted. I'll have to listen in and see if I notice anything.
Make sure it fully warms up, I'd say 10 minutes to be safe , longer if it's cold

You need to get out and listen, even the TSB says it can't be heard inside the car
Old 10-28-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013
At what number of miles can you consider yourself relatively safe from developing the problem?

No idea.

I have to say this poll is very surprising, 41 votes and 46% have or had this problem

I figured we would see maybe 10%.

If this trend continues Nissan sure hid this well as this threa dis less than a month old

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-28-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM

No idea.

I have to say this poll is very surprising, 41 votes and 46% have or had this problem

If this trend continues Nissan sure hid this well as this threa dis less than a month old
I'm sure at least 1/2 of the 46% are overreacting owners
Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Make sure it fully warms up, I'd say 10 minutes to be safe , longer if it's cold

You need to get out and listen, even the TSB says it can't be heard inside the car
Will do, usually I stay inside my car, but i'll step out and have a listen. Don't go back to work til Wednesday so won't be able to check til then. But will report back once I do.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:55 PM

Does your car sound like the video posted this thread when warm and in park ? Does it have a knocking sound at warm idle in park that goes away in gear ?

If so that's a bearing issue, many dealers are telling people it's normal, it's not

Video links are in my next reply

Yeah I made a video too (ill upload later) It sounds exactly like that

They said it was my splash guard. They gave me more bs about me having HID Lights and painted rimz etc etc. Does having the TSB make them change it even tho they think doesnt have that problem? For example if a tech kept saying no? who would I tell he has too? his the professional and im just a customer :/
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by shook187
I'm sure at least 1/2 of the 46% are overreacting owners

And why do you say that ? If this was a Yahoo forum I might agree but most people here know about cars

How about if half of the 54% never even checked by warming the car up and letting it idle in park and opening the hood ?

In fact the user Warriors55 voted he has no issue when he just told me he hasn't even checked yet.

7 of the 19 votes saying they have this issue already had it fixed and another 6 are saying it was diagnosed by Nissan.

Of course the poll isn't 100% accurate but to just say it's scewed one way or the other is foolish IMO, remember Nissan has acknowledged this problem

I own this car and now have an 8 year bumper to bumber warranty , barring any more issues I will most likey keep this car 7 years. I certainly don't want this issue to be big as it could effect resale value but I think people should know this problem is very much for real

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Yeah I made a video too (ill upload later) It sounds exactly like that

They said it was my splash guard. They gave me more bs about me having HID Lights and painted rimz etc etc. Does having the TSB make them change it even tho they think doesnt have that problem? For example if a tech kept saying no? who would I tell he has too? his the professional and im just a customer :/
The TSB shows them the symptoms and lets the know Nissan recognizes the issue. The noise goes away in Drive or reverse, have them explain that to you as their is virtually no rpm change.

Read that TSB and you will see what a major job that bearing replacement is, I doubt every mechanic on staff is even qualified to to a job like that.

It's your car, if you don't care enough t have it fixed I doubt anybody else does.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM

The TSB shows them the symptoms and lets the know Nissan recognizes the issue. The noise goes away in Drive or reverse, have them explain that to you as their is virtually no rpm change.

Read that TSB and you will see what a major job that bearing replacement is, I doubt every mechanic on staff is even qualified to to a job like that.

It's your car, if you don't care enough t have it fixed I doubt anybody else does.

Good luck
Amen

My friend gave me an idea since I'm only at 30,000 miles why dont i just drive my transmission to the ground so they have to replace it? Since its cover by warranty and I've made 3 reports to the dealership already.

Last edited by GNCMaxima; 10-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Amen

My friend gave me an idea since I'm only at 30,000 miles why dont i just drive my transmission to the ground so they have to replace it? Since its cover by warranty and I've made 3 reports to the dealership already.

Your car, do as you wish I'd verify the lemon law first and I'm sure the dealer can tell if you trash the car.

I'm guessing you mean trash the tranny to get your money back via the Lemon Law, correct ?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:16 PM

No idea.

Although I feel your pain, and believe I'd be furious as you are, Nissan has known about the problem otherwise there wouldn't be a TSB out for the issue! Also I see only 31% (which is still horrible) I'm not counting the "possibly" people here as, you've either had it gone bad or not. I think a lot of people are just simply over-reacting! I hope I haven't pissed ya off nor am I downplaying the issue, because a new engine is a BIG deal!! Especially on a new ride!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by trailer54
Although I feel your pain, and believe I'd be furious as you are, Nissan has known about the problem otherwise there wouldn't be a TSB out for the issue! Also I see only 31% (which is still horrible) I'm not counting the "possibly" people here as, you've either had it gone bad or not. I think a lot of people are just simply over-reacting! I hope I haven't pissed ya off nor am I downplaying the issue, because a new engine is a BIG deal!! Especially on a new ride!!

Given that I got a 8 year bumper to bumper warranty for free out of Nissan I may have made out saying I don't have the knock come back like one guy did. Since his block was replaced 8 months after the TSB came out I am a bit nervous but it would come close to enacting the lemon law for my state but I think Nissan given the way they treated me thus far would buy the car back without much issue.

My only goal now is to make sure people know this is a possible issue before they buy a MAX, I sure wish I did.

As far as the poll goes I wish I could set it so people could change answers but I can't so we are stuck.

To dismiss every person who hears the noise but hasn't been to the dealer yet as a false positive and count that as a vote saying their car is fine is reaching.

As I said before we have one person who voted no who hasn't even checked his car yet

The poll is far from scientific but it seems like people are assuming every inaccuracy is leaning towards the owner being mistaken

Being this is a car enthusiasts forum I'm thinking people know and engine knock ESPECIALLY since we have a video in this thread where they can hear the exact noise

I'm far from furious, if the car continues to be a POS ( I have had more problems than just the engine) I will get them to by it back if not I have a very inexpensive car to drive until 2021. I'm hoping for the latter as I know I would buy a BMW 4 series and don't really want to spend the extra $20K

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-29-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Given that I got a 8 year bumper to bumper warranty for free out of Nissan I may have made out saying I don't have the knock come back like one guy did. Since his block was replaced 8 months after the TSB came out I am a bit nervous but it would come close to enacting the lemon law for my state but I think Nissan given the way they treated me thus far would buy the car back without much issue.

My only goal now is to make sure people know this is a possible issue before they buy a MAX, I sure wish I did.

As far as the poll goes I wish I could set it so people could change answers but I can't so we are stuck.

To dismiss every person who hears the noise but hasn't been to the dealer yet as a false positive and count that as a vote saying their car is fine is reaching.

As I said before we have one person who voted no who hasn't even checked his car yet

The poll is far from scientific but it seems like people are assuming every inaccuracy is leaning towards the owner being mistaken
I hear ya brother! I'd more than likely be doing the same, it's a shame either way ya look at it! I'm glad Nissan took care of you though, I know for certain, my stealership would not. I actually just posted a horrible review for them on Yelp! From what I read looks like I wasn't the only one! Lol. Anyways, it does indeed suck to see so many with this issue
Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by trailer54
I hear ya brother! I'd more than likely be doing the same, it's a shame either way ya look at it! I'm glad Nissan took care of you though, I know for certain, my stealership would not. I actually just posted a horrible review for them on Yelp! From what I read looks like I wasn't the only one! Lol. Anyways, it does indeed suck to see so many with this issue

My dealership has been great ! They heard the noise when I brought it by one afternoon, set up the appt and actually dropped off a loaner car at my house and picked up my car

Everyone from Nissan has also been a bit too nice, lol
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM

Have you talked with Joe Flores, he is the service director there. He has always been a great help to me with the Max and the Z for many years. I deal with him strictly, I bypass the advisors.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM

Thumbs down

OK..Update to the 2nd update. got a call from the service advisor. Looks like the car will be in the shop another 2-3 weeks. Per him, Nissan is out of stock on the short block and was told it will be a few weeks before it arrives. Totally sucks. He offered to upgrade the Versa rental but that won't cut it.

Thoughts on next steps? As mentioned prevuously, I already have the 7yr/120k mile warranty...
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK..Update to the 2nd update. got a call from the service advisor. Looks like the car will be in the shop another 2-3 weeks. Per him, Nissan is out of stock on the short block and was told it will be a few weeks before it arrives. Totally sucks. He offered to upgrade the Versa rental but that won't cut it.

Thoughts on next steps? As mentioned prevuously, I already have the 7yr/120k mile warranty...
Well, if they're really out of stock on the short block that would seem to suggest that the chances of getting a defective replacement is zero...assuming they actually fixed the underlying problem and are manufacturing correctly.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM

Thoughts on next steps? As mentioned previously, I already have the 7yr/120k mile warranty...
What year is your car again, my first thought is LEMON LAW !!

Have you called Nissan consumer yet to open a case ? The service I got from them was very good

There is an 8 year/120K gold warranty available as I got comped the 8/100 I'll hit maybe 5ok over 8 years so the mileage means nothing to me

Out of stock, huh, seems this problem is big and the poll may be spot on !

The only good thing is you can pretty much guarantee the bearing issue will be fixed in the block you get, seems before you may have received a block with the same issue.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-30-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by investingdad
Well, if they're really out of stock on the short block that would seem to suggest that the chances of getting a defective replacement is zero...assuming they actually fixed the underlying problem and are manufacturing correctly.

It also means this issue is widespread

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware, 2009 - 2013 Factory Bearing Problems