7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Grade vs Premium

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Mid-Grade vs Premium

I was just curious if anyone puts Regular or Mid-grade fuel inistead of Premium. I know it says that its recommended to use premium on the Maxima's but how would the performance of the car be if u downgraded the fuel?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM

I usually use mid-grade 89 and it seems to run very well. I suspect 91 might provide a little better gas mileage, but I get what is expected with 89.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Sunoco is the only place I can get the 91 Premium but its usually more or same as the Exxon/Mobil 93 Premium... I have used 89, 91, & 93 and the only difference I do notice is the gas mileage.. the higher to octane the better the mileage ....
Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM

93 always
Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can get 87, 89, and 91 where I'm at.

The price delta between 87 and 91 is 30 cents per gallon.

If I drive 22000 miles per year and get an average of 22 miles per gallon, it costs me $300 more per year to go with premium.

I'm not sure why I'd want to put in something less than recommended to save $300 a year when I paid 27K for the car.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM

I find that the throttle seems less responsive with the lesser grade.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM

Costco charges less than 10% more for premium, since I get 22 MPG city on premium vs under 20 on 89 octane it's about the same price to use the better gas
Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 PM

Rental fleet maximas use the cheapest fuel they can find without any noticeable issues. Midgrade can't be that bad. The car adapts and it probably loses some performance, but it is not enough to notice it unless you are at the track. I have gone for 450 miles on a single tank with midgrade. (Mostly highway miles)
Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's funny how these threads continue to come up. I've seen these threads since I joined. What is the point of buying a car that recommends premium gas if your not going to do that. There are many cars out there that do not have this recommendation.

Last edited by 1996blackmax; 10-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Envymynissan
Rental fleet maximas use the cheapest fuel they can find without any noticeable issues. Midgrade can't be that bad. The car adapts and it probably loses some performance, but it is not enough to notice it unless you are at the track. I have gone for 450 miles on a single tank with midgrade. (Mostly highway miles)

And you probably would have gone 495 miles on Premium meaning the extra cash is a wash
Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 PM

I hope this thread remains more civil than some of those fuel threads of olden days. Everyone who has ever driven a vehicle has their own opinions regarding fuel. Most of those opinions are either born of urban legends or the feeling that something that costs more must be better.

This subject has come up regularly here for over ten years (and probably before that). I also see it discussed at length on other automotive and technical boards. Some of these octane threads have become extremely long and detailed. There have been a few points regarding fuel octane I have seen here over the last ten years that had the referenced sources of proof I feel were definitive.

1 - Octane is not directly related to fuel efficiency. As long as the octane is within the range the fuel system is expecting, the MPG will not change.

I had always heard that was true, but still questioned it. So, beginning with my 1984 Maxima, I kept track. In each Maxima generation after the first one, I used only premium the first 18,000 miles, then midgrade from then on. I found my longterm MPG was the same with premium and midgrade. Several highly connected technical members here have presented information from laboratory testing as well as scientific explanations why this is true.

Since regular gas (87 octane) does not fall close to the octane range the fuel system on our Maxima is expecting (Nissan says 91, which should easily handle from around 88 octane and up), MPG with regular fuel may be reduced. It isn't because regular fuel is not capable of the same fuel energy, but because our Maxima fuel system is often not able to make the significant adjustment necessary to optimize use of regular.

2 - All else being equal, higher octane will produce slightly more power. Legends and rumors not withstanding, this octane increase from midgrade 89 to premium 91 or 93 is NOT sufficient to be detectable by the driver, but can be measured through electronic equipment.

But increasing octane from regular (87) to midgrade or premium, depending on how well a particular Maxima is handling the regular, can often be detected by the driver. Some Maximas can run decently on regular, while other Maximas of the same generation will not.

The primary difference between running premium over midgrade is an emotional satisfaction from knowing you can do no better for your car. But I will always question whether a person who would run regular fuel (87 octane) in his Maxima on an everyday basis has maybe purchased the wrong car.

Price may be a factor for a few here. In some areas of the country, the difference between each grade can be as little as 5 cents. But in other areas (such as where I live), the difference is almost always 20 cents per grade. So the maximum difference between regular and premium for a 20 gallon tank would almost never be more than 40 cents per gallon X 20 gallons, which is $8 per tank, and would usually be much less.

I am fortunate in that I don't sweat the price of fuel, but see no real purpose in using premium fuel when midgrade gives the same efficiency. I will continue my habit of using premium the first 18K then midgrade thereafter. With one caveat; if I am in an unusual situation where I can't find a major brand, I use only premium when buying off-brands.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 PM

My wifes Infiniti and my Maxima both get about 10% better MPG on Premium than 89. This is verified by the computer and my own calculations

Do a simple comparison, drop a tank of 89 in your maxima and I guarantee the mileage falls off on your computer saying you are doing the same type of driving. I did it a few times and it falls from nearly 22 city to under 20 or vice versa, if you use 89 get a tank of Premium and watch the mileage rise

I have also done the comparison using calculations ( gallons divided by miles using the same station) and it always fall by a comparable amount as for some reason I get bored and do this on every car I have ever owned from time to time

The biggest difference I ever had was an Infiniti I30 that got 25 MPG highway on 89 and just about 30 MPG on Premium

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 10-09-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I hope this thread remains more civil than some of those fuel threads of olden days. Everyone who has ever driven a vehicle has their own opinions regarding fuel. Most of those opinions are either born of urban legends or the feeling that something that costs more must be better.

This subject has come up regularly here for over ten years (and probably before that). I also see it discussed at length on other automotive and technical boards. Some of these octane threads have become extremely long and detailed. There have been a few points regarding fuel octane I have seen here over the last ten years that had the referenced sources of proof......
Light, thanks for compiling and sharing this insightful information. There will be plenty of debate, but this is very helpful. Well done.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Max2013
Light, thanks for compiling and sharing this insightful information. There will be plenty of debate, but this is very helpful. Well done.
I agree. I've always used 93 since my 6th gen. I have no idea why. This information may make me switch to mid-grade, however.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
It's funny how these threads continue to come up. I've seen these threads since I joined. What is the point of buying a car that recommends premium gas if your not going to do that. There are many cars out there that do not have this recommendation.
Just the other day we were n in the 4th gen forum about this and low and behold!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Ah, yes - the good old regular ~vs~ premium gas discussion.
Next up, synthetic ~vs~ dino oil.

Basically it boils down to this:
Put gas in it, it runs.
Change the oil every 3 or 4 thousand miles and it runs for a long time.

Simple, really.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Ah, yes - the good old regular ~vs~ premium gas discussion.
Next up, synthetic ~vs~ dino oil.

Basically it boils down to this:
Put gas in it, it runs.
Change the oil every 3 or 4 thousand miles and it runs for a long time.

Simple, really.
Or buy a 2013 and have it in for a new engine block at 3800 miles per a TSB that covers all 7th gen cars, it's quite apparent the new Maximas don't share the old quality

Host of smaller issues also
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM

I have always used 87, but just started with the max. Only 1100 miles. Maybe ill switch to midgrade.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Minarets
I have always used 87, but just started with the max. Only 1100 miles. Maybe ill switch to midgrade.
Excellent idea
Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Just the other day we were n in the 4th gen forum about this and low and behold!

Yup...here we are .
Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I used to use regular old 87 until I noticed the recommendation, since then I've been using 93 and I have noticed improved gas mileage... nothing crazy but enough to justify the extra $ I suppose
Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 AM

Why do people say it's more per gallon if you use premium yes it is but you are still paying for it and it's more for mid or high octane . You still PAY for it .
Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 AM

What people are forgetting is that these cars don't require premium fuel, they will run fine on 87 or 89 octane. I strictly used premium in both my cars: my 69 Cougar (because the engine was rebuilt) and my 10 Maxima (because I thought it was required).

I have never got better than 21 mpg's in the Maxima using 91 or 93 octane gas. My gas price pain threshold is $3 per gallon so for me I buy whatever octane I can get at that price, no matter what state I'm in.

The Cougar on the other hand only gets premium.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
What people are forgetting is that these cars don't require premium fuel..... My gas price pain threshold is $3 per gallon so for me I buy whatever octane I can get at that price, no matter what state I'm in.
I agree it's not required but it's highly recommended, my car states in numerous places that premium fuel is recommended.

Who pays $3/gal these days anyways???
Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 AM

What people are forgetting is that these cars don't require premium fuel, they will run fine on 87 or 89 octane. I strictly used premium in both my cars: my 69 Cougar (because the engine was rebuilt) and my 10 Maxima (because I thought it was required). I have never got better than 21 mpg's in the Maxima using 91 or 93 octane gas. My gas price pain threshold is $3 per gallon so for me I buy whatever octane I can get at that price, no matter what state I'm in. The Cougar on the other hand only gets premium.
Why purchase a 40k car and complain about gas??? The engine will last longer and run way more efficient with premium gas. Spend the extra two bucks or so on each fill up and go premium, unless your saving those ones for the titty bar)
Old 12-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its only like a 5 or 6 dollar difference, why deprive your car of premium gas if you paid all that money for it. I just swipe my card, close my eyes and pump...
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 AM

I ordered regular by accident the other day, lol - I did not notice any difference in performance whatsoever.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My gas price pain threshold is $3 per gallon so for me I buy whatever octane I can get at that price, no matter what state I'm in.
Hope you dont stop by CA, hahaha. I just filled up 91 octane this morning @ $3.76/gal. I would love to see gas around $3/gal for any octane LOL
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Warriors55
Hope you dont stop by CA, hahaha. I just filled up 91 octane this morning @ $3.76/gal. I would love to see gas around $3/gal for any octane LOL
It was actually 2.99 at a Kroger a couple of days ago. That was with .10 off if you use your Kroger card however! I don't use the 87 though.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 AM

My car a 2009 SV Sport say's PREMIUM FUEL ONLY on the filler cap. The difference between a tank of 91 octane and 87 octane in my area is 20 cents a gallon, which equals 3 bucks on a 15 gallon fillup. This is cheaper than a coffee at Starbucks.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:10 AM

The sluggish feeling and difference in performance is not worth the extra dollar saved at the pump. Keep the engine clean and performing at peak. Premium, all day, everyday.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Okay, I may not exactly be qualified to respond to this thread given that I don't as yet have a Maxima, but I do drive a car that requires premium fuel and that's exactly what it gets. VW Passat 1.8T with the APR Stage 2 chip reflash for extra 30ish HP.

I take some comfort that the premium grade contains more of the detergents that keep the system clean...so if you are fighting the justification of the extra cost this might help: you don't need to add any extra injector cleaner if you use premium from Top Tier Fuel providers.

Okay, so us car enthusiasts using premium will still use Chevron Techron additive because we need to feed our OCD..but it really isn't needed with a diet of premium.

Ask yourself, if you order a nice meal in a nice restaurant, do you decide to use plastic fork & knife because it might save you $ 5 off the bill ?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM

I run 87. To be honest, I didn't know 91 was recommended.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:12 PM

I bought this car in January and I did the premium only fill up thing every time. Not once did I get over 21.5 mpg's and using 87 to 89 octane gas I still average a measly 20 to 21 mpg's. So as far as I'm concerned using premium in the Maxima is a total waste of money.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM

Comments in red.

This subject has come up regularly here for over ten years (and probably before that). I also see it discussed at length on other automotive and technical boards. Some of these octane threads have become extremely long and detailed. There have been a few points regarding fuel octane I have seen here over the last ten years that had the referenced sources of proof I feel were definitive.

1 - Octane is not directly related to fuel efficiency. As long as the octane is within the range the fuel system is expecting, the MPG will not change.

In this case it is. Running a higher octane (slower burning) fuel allows the car to advance timing which in turn creates better fuel economy. So octane does have a direct relation.

I had always heard that was true, but still questioned it. So, beginning with my 1984 Maxima, I kept track. In each Maxima generation after the first one, I used only premium the first 18,000 miles, then midgrade from then on. I found my longterm MPG was the same with premium and midgrade. Several highly connected technical members here have presented information from laboratory testing as well as scientific explanations why this is true.

Your '84 Maxima used a distributer with a vacuum advance which was physically set. There was no way for the car to sense "knock" and either advance or retard timing. Unless you do your testing with a vehicle with a modern ignition system, tuned to accept as much as a 91 or 93 octane, there will be no benefit.

Since regular gas (87 octane) does not fall close to the octane range the fuel system on our Maxima is expecting (Nissan says 91, which should easily handle from around 88 octane and up), MPG with regular fuel may be reduced. It isn't because regular fuel is not capable of the same fuel energy, but because our Maxima fuel system is often not able to make the significant adjustment necessary to optimize use of regular.

You lost me here. The fuel system is what delivers the fuel to the cylinders, what the car does with that fuel is mainly controlled by the ignition. We could get into injector pulses but for simplicity sake it's the ignition making changes when it sees lower or higher octane.

2 - All else being equal, higher octane will produce slightly more power. Legends and rumors not withstanding, this octane increase from midgrade 89 to premium 91 or 93 is NOT sufficient to be detectable by the driver, but can be measured through electronic equipment.

This is not always true. Higher octane fuel burns slower. Introducing a higher octane fuel to a 1975 small block Chevy would have a negative impact. In the case of our Maximas yes a higher octane fuel helps performance because we are running a higher compression ratio and a slower burning fuel will allow for more ignition advance.

The primary difference between running premium over midgrade is an emotional satisfaction from knowing you can do no better for your car.

I'll respectfully disagree.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 AM

Maximan - Maybe I can put things in simpler language.

I have owned nothing but Maximas since October 1984. In every generation, I have used premium (91 or 93 octane) the first 18 months, then switched to midgrade (89 octane).

In every case, my MPG, as measured over periods of many months, did not change when I dropped to midgrade. As far as I could tell, the performance of the car did not change either. I did not time things at the track, because that would be totally irrelevant to my driving.

I never had a whisper of engine trouble with either octane, and I drove several of those Maximas over 200,000 miles.

We can agree or disagree over technical points, but the thing that counts is results. And my method has had excellent results.

If I lived in an area where there was only 20 cents difference between midgrade and premium, I might step up to the recommended 91 octane. Unfortunately, I have seen the difference between midgrade and premium as high as 46 cents where I live. I consider that to be ridiculous.

I plan to go quietly into the sunset using my same method, because it works beautifully in Maximas.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:42 AM

What we have to keep in mind is that the octane posted at the pump is a minimum, it is likely that the refiners have some safety factor to prevent any grade being below the pump sticker. It could be that 89 is actually 90-91 and 91 is 92-93?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by KGMtech
What we have to keep in mind is that the octane posted at the pump is a minimum, it is likely that the refiners have some safety factor to prevent any grade being below the pump sticker. It could be that 89 is actually 90-91 and 91 is 92-93?
Never thought of it like that but good point.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:29 AM

Maximan - Maybe I can put things in simpler language.
My reply is based off of fact and not my opinion or my perception of how my car runs. Using "simpler language" is what we don't want to do, it is important that information given on a message board is accurate.

Here are the facts of octane relating to our engines:

-Nissan recommends 91/93 octane (depending on altitude of region).

-In our vehicles, using a fuel with an octane lower than 91 will result in reduced performance and reduced fuel economy.

There IS a reason to use 91/93 octane which has to do with the design, compression and tuning of our vehicles.

This is an extreme example being turbocharged but take a look at the quote below:

"In a completely expected move, General Motors has just recalled 2010 Cadillac SRX crossovers that are equipped with the turbocharged 2.8-liter V6 engine due to the possibility of engine failure. The problem stems from the misuse of gasoline with lower than the required 91 octane rating. If driven aggressively with non-premium fuel, pre-ignition may be induced.

Such cases of pre-ignition can be very serious, with broken pistons or connecting rods standing out as possible results... as was found out not long ago by Automobiles De Luxe after mistakenly filling Caddy's latest 'ute with 88 octane fuel instead of the required 91 octane."

In a normally aspirated engine that example is very unlikely to happen but I will remind everyone you WILL lose fuel economy and performance using less than 91 octane.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by investingdad
I can get 87, 89, and 91 where I'm at.

The price delta between 87 and 91 is 30 cents per gallon.

If I drive 22000 miles per year and get an average of 22 miles per gallon, it costs me $300 more per year to go with premium.

I'm not sure why I'd want to put in something less than recommended to save $300 a year when I paid 27K for the car.
I like where you are going with this, but you left something out.
Based on what I've read from various sources, if you use 87, you should see 2-4 mpg lower.

So your numbers actually work out this way:
22000 miles at 22 mpg using premium at 30 cents more per gallon vs. 22000 miles at 20 mpg using regular at 30 cents less actually works out to 1000 gallons of gas vs. 1100 gallons of gas.
So to save 30 cents per gallon, you buy 100 more gallons of gas.
For the sake of numbers, let's say regular costs $3.00 and premium costs $3.30. That means at 1100 gallons of gas at $3.00, you spend $3300. At 1000 gallons of gas at $3.30, you spend $3300.
So it is a wash. Using regular, you also lose a little power in the process, so depending on your driving habits and what you enjoy, it's either a problem or not. But you aren't saving money. You are spending the same.
Of course, that's only accurate at 2 mpg difference. If it's 3 or 4, it's actually cheaper over the same period to run premium.
On your main point, we agree.
The sticker on my car shows around $41k. No way I'm putting anything but the recommended fuel (heck, ANY fluids) in a $40k car.
Those who use 87 instead, would you use cheaper oil that wasn't the recommended grade? How about trans fluid? AC charge?
So if you wouldn't use fluids Nissan doesn't recommend for other stuff, why the fuel?
This debate rages on every car forum I've been on. In my Honda days, some folks insisted that using premium when the car was designed for regular resulted in better fuel economy and more power, which was hogwash. Granted, there was a rumor that the V6 was secretly designed to run on mid grade, and that using mid grade in that motor resulted in a small bump in HP and fuel economy, it was never reliably proven on a dyno.
Ask experts and they'll tell you - run the octane the manufacturer recommends. They spent millions upon millions to design, manufacture, and build their motors. I trust that they wouldn't recommend premium over regular unless there was a good reason.

Quick Reply: Mid-Grade vs Premium