7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with my 7th gen over 100

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:33 PM

This was in Canada.

My buddy has a modded Trailblazer SS. It's got a cold air intake, cat back exhaust, electric fan, thermostat, and a tune.

My 14 Maxima SV Sport has only an AEM cold air kit.

Went from a slow roll about 25mph. I rolled into the throttle in D mode cause that's how you have to drive these things. I started pulling away around 40mph and was ahead by at least a car to a car and half around 75. Then around 100mph I could feel the cars "pull" slow slightly and he started passing me. He kept gaining ground till about 120 when I let off. I'd say he had me by 2.5 cars. Which is huge considering I was in front by about at least 1 car at 90 ish.

I've read that the factory tune closes the throttle plate by a percentage and it must be true.

Anyone else notice this?
Will an Uprev tune fix that?

Thanks

Last edited by Racerbox77; 11-29-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Isn't that a trait of all CVT Nissans, less top end power (due to 'gearing'?)
I wouldn't feel to bad losing to something with nearly 400hp stock plus mods, despite being shaped like a brick lol.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:43 PM

yea people sleep on trucks, but ive seen some insanely fast trucks
Old 11-29-2013, 05:11 PM

But,.. will an up rev fix this?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 PM

fix what? will an uprev tune make our cars faster than a 400 hp truck?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Trannies that do not shift are definitely the wave of the future, but they are currently designed for improving fuel economy and accelleration, which they do well.

But when we are talking over 100 MPH, we are talking track, not highway, and the 7th gen Maxima was never designed as a track car.

I feel sure there will eventually be CVTs that are fine at speeds well over 100MPH, but the CVT is not quite there yet. Unless your buddy has a CVT in his Trailblazer, racing at speeds over 100 MPH was rather meaningless.

Of course, there are other aspects involved here. If you challenge your Trailblazin' buddy to a race on a curvy mountainous road, you could be tried for murder, because that boxy, top-heavy Trailblazer will be blazin' a trail the short way down the side of a cliff.

I have seen several studies over the years that show the Trailblazer as having the highest accident death rate of any vehicle with volume sales in the U.S. That is because the Trailblazer has great straight-ahead power, but excels in no other aspect by which we can measure vehicles. And that is why your buddy is into straight ahead racing, because his ride does not stand out in any other way.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Racerbox77

I've read that the factory tune closes the throttle plate by a percentage and it must be true.

Anyone else notice this?
YES! I noticed this big time right off the bat! It feels as if the throttle is pulled back a bit, I noticed it at roughly 90 mph or so. For comparison, I had a '13 Altima 2.5 and that did not exhibit the feeling of a closing throttle like the Maxima does. None of my prior Maximas had this sensation either. If I had to bet on it, I would say the computer pulls throttle after around 90 mph or so.

As for the uprev, if they have total control they can make sure of WOT regardless the MPH.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:21 PM

"I feel sure there will eventually be CVTs that are fine at speeds well over 100MPH, but the CVT is not quite there yet. Unless your buddy has a CVT in his Trailblazer, racing at speeds over 100 MPH was rather meaningless."

END QUOTE

The transmission has nothing to do with going over 100mph.

The car was still in its power band after 100mph. Meaning near redline. Also I was monitoring my A/F and timing. It was around 11.1- 11.3 af and 25 degrees timing. Now obviously that's not optimal but that's the factory tune. Point is it didn't change from 75mph to 120mph.

So I felt the car slow its pull but the readings on my gauges didn't change so what I believe happened is the throttle closed. I'd just like someone that knows confirm this.

It's funny everyone blames everything on the CVT.

Last edited by Racerbox77; 11-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
and the 7th gen Maxima was never designed as a track car.
And neither was any of the showroom stock or touring class cars racing in the SCCA, what is your point?

The point here is there is a sensation of a closing throttle after a certain speed and the OP wants to know if this in fact is happening and is UpRev can overcome that.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam

And neither was any of the showroom stock or touring class cars racing in the SCCA, what is your point?

The point here is there is a sensation of a closing throttle after a certain speed and the OP wants to know if this in fact is happening and is UpRev can overcome that.
Exactly
Old 11-29-2013, 06:30 PM

"I feel sure there will eventually be CVTs that are fine at speeds well over 100MPH, but the CVT is not quite there yet. Unless your buddy has a CVT in his Trailblazer, racing at speeds over 100 MPH was rather meaningless."

END QUOTE

The transmission has nothing to do with going over 100mph.

The car was still in its power band after 100mph. Meaning near redline. Also I was monitoring my A/F and timing. It was around 11.1- 11.3 af and 25 degrees timing. Now obviously that's not optimal but that's the factory tune. Point is it didn't change from 75mph to 120mph.

So I felt the car slow its pull but the readings on my gauges didn't change so what I believe happened is the throttle closed. I'd just like someone that knows confirm this.

It's funny everyone blames everything on the CVT.
so you are convinced the transmission is unrelated to how the car is putting the engine's horsepower to the axle? um, ok.
anyway, an Uprev tune modifies the ECU, this has nothing to do with the transmission and unfortunately doesnt do much about the loss of acceleration above 100-110. The 7th gens sweet spot is 40-100.

Last edited by Ghozt; 11-29-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
so you are convinced the transmission is unrelated to how the car is putting the engine's horsepower to the axle? um, ok.
anyway, an Uprev tune modifies the ECU, this has nothing to do with the transmission and unfortunately doesnt do much about the loss of acceleration above 100-110. The 7th gens sweet spot is 40-100.
I agree, between 40-100 these cars are fast and can hang with the best of them, anything out side those numbers is lag big time. These cars aren't race cars, and never will with the cvt...you can def improve the take off and top end but it won't be much. Just sit back and cruise with your fuel efficient v6 engine and cvt
Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 PM

fix what? will an uprev tune make our cars faster than a 400 hp truck?
Don't be foolish. The OP wanted to know if an uprev would make the car better in the high end. Its been said many times on here that the cars performance falls of in a big way at that particular point.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:22 PM

Even if an up rev were applied, dude's car is still 400 hp right? And isn't hp good for straight ahead races? He's still beating us anyways.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:59 AM

Ghozt you have the uprev tune. So obviously by your posts here the shop that did it didn't mention anything about top end and throttle percentage and your car still noses over at that point?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905

I agree, between 40-100 these cars are fast and can hang with the best of them, anything out side those numbers is lag big time. These cars aren't race cars, and never will with the cvt...you can def improve the take off and top end but it won't be much. Just sit back and cruise with your fuel efficient v6 engine and cvt
There's a reason the car isn't fast after 100mph and it's not because of coefficient drag or the CVT. It has to be within the tune.

I assumed someone on here would know. No big deal won't be getting a tune for a while so I'll have time to locate an Uprev approved shop and ask them. I'm convinced it's in the ECU.

And for the record I totally understand our cars are not race cars. I have a 10 second Cobra for that. But I have a need for modding everything I drive and really enjoy doing it. That's why I like being a part of a forum so we can bs and learn about our cars from others.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
Don't be foolish. The OP wanted to know if an uprev would make the car better in the high end. Its been said many times on here that the cars performance falls of in a big way at that particular point.
thanks for playing peer mediator, but i already answered the guy and as you can tell he doesn't believe the answer. frankly, this is a retarded question. our car puts out maybe 240-250 whp with full bolt-ons and tune and has a transmission built of cones and a steel plated belt and hes wondering why a 400 horsepower truck with standard transmission is faster?

you guys ask questions and then argue with the response; i cant even begin to go into why this is now a pointless thread. he's more than welcome to spend the money and find out on his own. I'm not going to sit here all week trying to convince the guy what I already know; I'm just not that invested. best of luck guys.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM

thanks for playing peer mediator, but i already answered the guy and as you can tell he doesn't believe the answer. frankly, this is a retarded question. our car puts out maybe 240-250 whp with full bolt-ons and tune and has a transmission built of cones and a steel plated belt and hes wondering why a 400 horsepower truck with standard transmission is faster?

you guys ask questions and then argue with the response; i cant even begin to go into why this is now a pointless thread. he's more than welcome to spend the money and find out on his own. I'm not going to sit here all week trying to convince the guy what I already know; I'm just not that invested. best of luck guys.
Ghozt, I don't know you for a hole in the wall, but over the last 6 months or so I've been on this forum I've seen your posts and think you got great knowledge that I myself have used for personal use. People overtime will see your helpful and very knowledgable, except those unwilling to except the truth
Old 11-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Alright guys. While Ghozt does have good info it seems. He's right I don't believe he is correct. I've read on the 6th gen boards that the throttle is slightly closed at top end. Now I can't find the thread but I did read it last night.
I'm going to see if I can monitor the throttle % with my Torque PRO app and report back.

Last edited by Racerbox77; 11-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Alright guys. While Ghozt does have good info it seems. He's right I don't believe he is correct. I've read on the 6th gen boards that the throttle is slightly closed at top end. Now I can't find the thread but I did read it last night.
I'm going to see if I can monitor the throttle % with my Torque PRO app and report back.
The tune did make the car fastER; it more easily reaches 130 than it did before. The acceleration curve is just absolutely nothing like the lower speed ranges. Let me know your results on the throttle %; when I get a chance I'll do the same testing and see what Torque is saying the throttle is at.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maximam
YES! I noticed this big time right off the bat! It feels as if the throttle is pulled back a bit, I noticed it at roughly 90 mph or so. For comparison, I had a '13 Altima 2.5 and that did not exhibit the feeling of a closing throttle like the Maxima does. None of my prior Maximas had this sensation either. If I had to bet on it, I would say the computer pulls throttle after around 90 mph or so.

As for the uprev, if they have total control they can make sure of WOT regardless the MPH.
Yeah that is one benefits of the new CVTs in the 13+ Altima's "if its working properly", they don't fall flat on their face after 85-90 ish. The CVT in the 3.5 13+ Altima has much better pull in the upper ranges of its power band than the Maxima's hence one of the reason it puts down better times through the 1/4 mile and beyond.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Yeah that is one benefits of the new CVTs in the 13+ Altima's "if its working properly", they don't fall flat on their face after 85-90 ish. The CVT in the 3.5 13+ Altima has much better pull in the upper ranges of its power band than the Maxima's hence one of the reason it puts down better times through the 1/4 mile and beyond.
Don't forget the power to weight ratio in that regard. It's not a big difference, 3355lbs as opposed to our Maximas curb weight at roughly 3,570, but it counts for something.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Love my '09

I'm assuming this was on the TRACK of course, because discussing road racing will get you a ban.....
Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 PM

The new Altimas don't have this issue because of a new CVT?

The new Altimas are 200lbs lighter and that's why they're faster in the quarter mile. Also these cars are sub 100mph in the quarter so....

Disclaimer :
This was in Canada and also on a closed course by professional drivers.

There now can we carry on with the thread.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:29 PM

The new Altimas don't have this issue because of a new CVT?

The new Altimas are 200lbs lighter and that's why they're faster in the quarter mile. Also these cars are sub 100mph in the quarter so....

Disclaimer :
This was in Canada and also on a closed course by professional drivers.

There now can we carry on with the thread.
You should've bought the Altima
Old 11-30-2013, 03:13 PM

I test drove the Altima but like the Maxima a lot more just don't like the way the Altima looks
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax
Even if an up rev were applied, dude's car is still 400 hp right? And isn't hp good for straight ahead races? He's still beating us anyways.
Yes it's still numerically beating us in the hp and torque, BUT what's more import is weight, everyone needs to take into account power to weight ratio. Which believe me, the SS weighs more than us.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Don't forget the power to weight ratio in that regard. It's not a big difference, 3355lbs as opposed to our Maximas curb weight at roughly 3,570, but it counts for something.
Right but remember I said "one" of the reasons...but also the Alti is down 20 hp and as well as 10 ft/lb of torque. The new CVT is really that much better, you should go test drive a 3.5 Alti and you will notice the differences.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 11-30-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Regarding the newer faster CVT transmissions; I've read a lot about them breaking much more frequently than the one we have.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Regarding the newer faster CVT transmissions; I've read a lot about them breaking much more frequently than the one we have.
lol, lol....thats true. they have quite a few shuddering and other things wrong....But in all out punching it and go they are better.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:19 PM

I can't speak for the 13 Altima 3.5, but My gf has the 13 altima 2.5, I can say the cvt is very reaponsive and quick, but doesn't come closeto my 2010 maxima... She always wants to drive my car
Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 AM

A few things:

That trailblazer can only go straight.
He has to wait until the 3rd gear to gun it.
That 90's SUV has the highest fatalities (the two door particularly). It is easy to flip.

Anything with 400 HP will blow you away even a Ford Excursion.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
A few things:

That trailblazer can only go straight.
He has to wait until the 3rd gear to gun it.
That 90's SUV has the highest fatalities (the two door particularly). It is easy to flip.

Anything with 400 HP will blow you away even a Ford Excursion.
I have to disagree with every statement.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
I can't speak for the 13 Altima 3.5, but My gf has the 13 altima 2.5, I can say the cvt is very reaponsive and quick, but doesn't come closeto my 2010 maxima... She always wants to drive my car
Trust me my wife as the 2013 3.5 Altima and i have the 2012 Maxima. hands down the altima transmission is a real improvement very quick i must say. off the line she spanks me. sorry but the 3.5 Altima is a beast compare to the maxima. i hope they step there game up with the redesign Maxima.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 PM

I'm going to call Uprev and see if they figured out how to turn off the throttle restrictions.

Ghozt I don't know how you forgot about this but apparently you knew I was right already....

QUOTE :
Originally Posted by Ghozt:
if you only have a cat-back exhaust, why would you bother with a tune or anything else? its basically operating at factory specs.

"Hey Dan. Apologies for the late reply. The factory tune can be cleaned up, a little leaner throughout and more timing in some areas for a little more power. So far, the car is much better feeling, snappier acceleration.

The key or most important reason for tuning, is the throttle control and torque management. I've been logging, and can clearly see the ECU starts closing the throttle at higher speeds, approximately ~85 MPH. Moreover, there is a dip at lower speeds right @ WOT. I have the graphs so it's not something I'm assuming or guessing."
Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 AM

Sounds like me. I bought the maxima to mod and have fun with but after two years I got bored and bought a turbo Miata. The max is a great family/commuter car. If you want something to mod, I would pick a new platform or pick up a project car.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:25 AM

Sorry never saw that reply, too busy running the FB group to really bother coming to this forum much anymore. Anyway, best of luck.

Last edited by Ghozt; 12-02-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 AM

I'm going to call Uprev and see if they figured out how to turn off the throttle restrictions.
Let us know...
Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 AM

dont know if its the same for the max but turning etc off keeps throttle at 100 percent

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/engine-performance-2007-2012/348873-quickly-run-up-260kmh-altima-3-5-cvt.html
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Red4drSE
dont know if its the same for the max but turning etc off keeps throttle at 100 percent

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...a-3-5-cvt.html
Is it just me, or in that video his speedo needle doesn't look like it's moving any faster than ours does? That's about how fast my needle moves in those ranges; before and after the tune.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with my 7th gen over 100