7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Maxima Available Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

A properly done Maxima may just be the lure I need to pull me back to Nissan. I am driving a Q50 right now and there is a lot that I love about it but there are things that frustrate me. I have a while to decide though since I only started my 39-month lease back in August.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:06 AM

Thanks, gizzsdad. Believe it or not, I have slept rather comfortably in the trunks of some of those ocean liners on wheels. That sometimes became necessary because motel rooms were a lot harder to arrange ahead in the 1950s, with no cell phones, no internet, and no sure knowledge of how long it would take to reach a destination with no interstate highways. And there were not nearly as many motels back then.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Looks like it could be a great car. Power wise though I think I expected some more...even if 10-20hp more, 310hp would fit that car better IMO. I have my 2009 ready to trade if the car turns out to be that awesome (of course if they give me good trade and a nice price on the new 2015...but i doubt it early on in the release year.)
Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
Looks like it could be a great car. Power wise though I think I expected some more...even if 10-20hp more, 310hp would fit that car better IMO. I have my 2009 ready to trade if the car turns out to be that awesome (of course if they give me good trade and a nice price on the new 2015...but i doubt it early on in the release year.)
Yeah. Most Nissan dealers around me (there are 23 within a 90 minute drive) actually add several thousand in padding such as waterproofing the interior, stainproofing the interior, rustproofing the underneath, waxing the exterior, advertising fee, lot space fee, dealer handling, paperwork, locking lug nuts, legal fee, etc, etc, to the MSRP the first month or two of a new generation, then gradually begin removing those fake charges as competition from other dealers begins to undercut them.

I avoid this mess by waiting a few months, letting the dust settle, and then email my offer on exactly the car sitting on their lot that I want (including the VIN number) to the internet manager. Either they accept or they don't. If they don't, I either try another dealer who also has a car equipped exactly as I want, or simply wait a month and repeat the process.

I have been doing this for almost twenty years, and the local internet managers know how I operate. I do not negotiate face-to-face. I make a fair offer (usually around $5K under MSRP for the top of the line version of the Maxima), and I eventually get the car I want at my price.

Of course this method requires that I go to nissanusa.com and hunt through the inventory for exactly the car I want, and that I sneak onto the lot at first daylight on Sunday morning to assure myself the car is exactly as shown in the inventory, and has no visible damage.

All this is sort of fun in a way. Sure beats the annoying haggling I went through buying cars from the late 1940s until around the mid-1990s.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:40 AM

Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Not that I was ever a big fan, but I wonder if there bringing back the burnt orange color
Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 AM

Getting something close to the tire to fender gap/spacing showing on the concept would be a plus even if was only optioned on a Sport model.
Wait a minute, I'm thinking "sport sedan".....never mind.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 AM

I have kept looking at the Concept car (which evidently will be close to the appearance of the 2015 Maxima ) and have tried very hard to like the front end... But can't do it. Someone commented that the grill looks like a tooth staring at you and I agree. Hope they make some changes before production.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013
I have kept looking at the Concept car (which evidently will be close to the appearance of the 2015 Maxima ) and have tried very hard to like the front end... But can't do it. Someone commented that the grill looks like a tooth staring at you and I agree. Hope they make some changes before production.
The car looks to need a visit to an orthodontist....

I suspect that the Murano's front fascia may provide a clue as to what to expect from the new max.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I avoid this mess by waiting a few months, letting the dust settle, and then email my offer on exactly the car sitting on their lot that I want (including the VIN number) to the internet manager. Either they accept or they don't. If they don't, I either try another dealer who also has a car equipped exactly as I want, or simply wait a month and repeat the process.
This is an interesting way to deal with car buying for sure. I tried the internet pricing method and it seemed to be pretty good. What I like is that it cuts to the chase, and bypasses all the small talk about what a great car it is, or how they will make you a great deal...its a number in writing up front.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman

I suspect that the Murano's front fascia may provide a clue as to what to expect from the new max.
I agree.
Nissan will likely come through with flying colors on styling with the 8th gen. The 7th still satisfies me for now along with the FWD platform but don't expect much more in HP without AWD.
Hard non-linear acceleration from a stop or slow roll is still PITA with this car.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by guitarman

I suspect you are probably correct. I have felt since I first saw photos of the Nissan concept sports sedan last August that the front of the 8th gen Maxima would have a fairly strong resemblance to both that concept sedan and the new Murano.

I think that is because Nissan is always trying to build in a 'family resemblance' across their line of cars. That does not necessarily work when vehicles are intended for totally different customer bases, and are totally different types of vehicles. Why should a Maxima grille resemble a Sentra grille? Or a Versa grille?

The suspected bar grille (sounds like a restaurtant) does not bother me. I will wait until I see the new Maxima in person, which always comes across a little differently than the photos.

This difference is partly because most photos released by the manufacturer are taken from around two to four feet above the ground (puts the styling at eye level, and makes the car look more imposing), but when we are standing beside the car looking down from around six feet, we get a different perspective.

If I do not like the front, I will either paint or cover the big grill bar black or the same color as the body, whichever I think would suit me best.

I will be very interested is seeing a release date from Nissan. September? October? November? December? I honestly think Nissan would have dropped a few hints by now, trying to build hype and interest, except they are still ironing out the CVT situation, and are not absolutely positive when they will release the new Maxima.

But only Nissan knows for sure. At least I HOPE they know.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 AM

?...
I will be very interested is seeing a release date from Nissan. September? October? November? December? I honestly think Nissan would have dropped a few hints by now, trying to build hype and interest, except they are still ironing out the CVT situation, and are not absolutely positive when they will release the new Maxima.

But only Nissan knows for sure. At least I HOPE they know.
I agree with you regarding the status of the release date. Based on surprisingly little speculation amongst the media, consumers, and even dealers, my guess is that they have not yet totally resolved the cvt issues. To me, that cautious approach is good. I don't want them to release the 8th gen until it is as bullet proof as possible. I think Nissan learned a hard and expensive lesson with the Altima/Pathfinder experience.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 AM

...If I do not like the front, I will either paint or cover the big grill bar black or the same color as the body, whichever I think would suit me best...
Another option I am counting on is a 3rd party solution.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_nissa...uncertain.html

"Nissan says the 2014 Maxima will be available into the 2015 calendar year. With no details released regarding its flagship sedan beyond the current model year, we wouldn’t be surprised if the next-generation Maxima could debut in late 2015. The next Maxima will likely be influenced by the Nissan Sport Sedan concept."

I said this prior, this 8th gen will not appear until 2015 sometimes......
Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_nissa...uncertain.html

"Nissan says the 2014 Maxima will be available into the 2015 calendar year. With no details released regarding its flagship sedan beyond the current model year, we wouldn’t be surprised if the next-generation Maxima could debut in late 2015. The next Maxima will likely be influenced by the Nissan Sport Sedan concept."

I said this prior, this 8th gen will not appear until 2015 sometimes......
Interesting... I am guessing Motor Trend may be more credible than some other websites, although it is all just speculation. Thanks for finding and posting.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Interesting... I am guessing Motor Trend may be more credible than some other websites, although it is all just speculation. Thanks for finding and posting.
Think its pretty credible as another reputable source has the same thing that spoke with Nissan reps. http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ineup-updated/

2015 Nissan Maxima
The 2014 Maxima carries over into 2015 without any changes, as we’re expecting to see a redesigned 2016 Nissan Maxima to debut sometime during the 2014-2015 auto show season with styling inspired by the Sport Sedan concept at this year’s Detroit auto show.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz36vMs0B6r

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 07-08-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 AM

I am now confused, because Ghosn said back in the winter that the 8th gen 2015 Maxima would be available before the end of the year.

I feel running the same gen Maxima for seven model years would be a big risk for Nissan, considering that all significant competitors of the Maxima have been updated since the Maxima was last updated. The Maxima has changed very little since the 7th gen went on sale June 26, 2008.

But I must admit Monte was suggesting the 8th gen would be a 2016 as early as 2012.

I have been counting on purchasing the 8th gen Maxima sometime between this fall and next spring, as I have some major long trips planned for next summer. If it is not available by next May, I may begin to seriously consider looking at the Q50 or other vehicles which have all the latest technology.

I have owned nothing but Maximas for thirty years, but Nissan seems to be giving less support to the Maxima than I feel it deserves. I hope this is simply Nissan wanting to hold off until they are convinced they have fixed the CVT bug that plagued the new Altimas with 3.5 engines.

Seven model years of the same generation may be fine in a low-profile, conservatively styled practical vehicle, but is not good with a vehicle that is supposed to be an aggressively styled corporate flagship.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:16 AM

Why not go straight to the source?

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...ng-the-changes

Nissan Maxima
The 2014 Maxima sedan will see an extended model year and continue to be available into 2015.

Offered in two models, 3.5 S and 3.5 SV, each powered by a 290-horsepower 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine mated to an Xtronic transmission with manual and "DS" (drive sport) modes with available paddle shifters
Available now
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Wow. Stunner. They Have to be dealing with some significant challenges... My guess is the cvt problem. Still think this is good though. Better to make us wait for a rock solid 8th gen than make us deal with frustrating problems like Altima owners did.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Wow. Stunner. They Have to be dealing with some significant challenges... My guess is the cvt problem. Still think this is good though. Better to make us wait for a rock solid 8th gen than make us deal with frustrating problems like Altima owners did.
How many problems can they have with the engine though and why are they not repairable? Didn't Nissan have award winning engines before the CVT?
Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
How many problems can they have with the engine though and why are they not repairable? Didn't Nissan have award winning engines before the CVT?
The engines are fine, it has been the design and programming of the transmission (cvt) and torque converter lockup that has caused the problems in other new models. IF the Maxima is still the flagship, I'm sure they will want it to be as flawless as possible.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Interesting, from the Nissan News article it seems like they will continue to sell the 2014 model as a 2014 model into 2015, does this mean the new redesign will be a 2015 model that will first be sold in 2015.

Last edited by madmax17; 07-09-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Actually, I would bet that it will be an early 2016. Nissan has done this quite a few times before.

On checking with my dealer, who previously been told Nov/Dec, now says Mar/Apr.

Very disappointing to me.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Actually, I would bet that it will be an early 2016. Nissan has done this quite a few times before.

On checking with my dealer, who previously been told Nov/Dec, now says Mar/Apr.

Very disappointing to me.
I'm predicting that it will be available early Summer 2015 at earliest just as the prior 4,5,6 and 7th gens were. The 3rd gen had a mid fall launch in late Oct of '88. Nissan is being very smart (sneaky marketing) by keeping the 7th selling as 2014 instead of '15 for the next near year, they will get less criticism for selling an "old" outdated technology wise car vs it competitors...Styling wise it still can hold its own to them although.

They more than likely still have a lot of work to do to get the 8th gen up to specs and they cannot afford to have another bad launch like the Q50 with very glitchy tech on board, which still has not been perfected.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 AM

Disappointing to you, but I would rather them get the **** right. Take your time Nissan. Create a masterpiece.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 AM

I now pretty much see this as MONTE has seen it all along. Here is a post I made on the 'GENERALMAXIMA DISCUSSION' board on this site:

I agree with MONTE.

When I glimpsed Nissan's Sport Sedan Concept that first appeared on the internet last August, I thought it was a really radically styled vehicle. I was immediately excited.

But eleven months of studying views from all angles of that Sport Sedan Concept leaves me wondering how they will be able to translate that very radical concept to a vehicle that would survive on the decrepid roadways we now have across the country.

The ground clearance must be raised from the concept version. Will the fenders be able to actually slightly circle in (enclose) around the bottom half of the tires like they do in the concept? I don't think so, as the tires must have freedom to move up and down vertically as we fly across dips and bumps. Having a good turning circle (must be under 40 feet) may be tricky with the way those tall tires fill the wheel wells. Those double panel roofs can be very difficult to get right, and the 8th gen roof must be completely redesigned from the 7th gen.

And that list does not include the redesigned CVT, which was having problems in the 3.5 Altima. I am sure the 8th gen Maxima will have most of the latest driving aids such as lane departure warnings, cameras that show everything around the car, distance-sensitive speed control, and probably both front seats individually air conditioned. And those probably only scratch the surface.

This will be Nissan's flagship, and Nissan knows it must be right.

I noticed that the release of the changes for each Nissan 2015 model listed enhancements for each vehicle, even for those not having a new generation arrive. But the Maxima listed NO new enhancements, saying only that the same 2014 Maxima would CONTINUE INTO (NOT THROUGH) the 2015 model year.

THAT TELLS US WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW.

The last three times Nissan used similar wording for the Maxima (model years prior to gens 5, 6 and 7), the new generation arrived the FIRST HALF of the following year, labeled as the NEXT YEAR'S model. Unless something changes, the 8th gen will arrive between March and June of 2015 as the 2016 Maxima.

If that is true, Nissan will be showing the 2016 Maxima at this winter's auto shows, and the excitement will be building as Nissan begins advertising the 8th gen leading up to the official release.

I have bought the first model year of Maxima generations #2 through #7, and have always gotten a very reliable vehicle. I will be doing that again next spring. I am very excited about this 8th gen.

That is the end of my quote from GENERAL board.

I would only add that, where I said in that quote that the new generation arrived the FIRST HALF of the following year, it could have more accurately been worded the SECOND QUARTER of the following year. I differ only slightly from MONTE in release date. Like MONTE, I don't think the release comes before spring arrives. But, because of the exceptionally long life of the 7th gen, I don't think the release will be later than June, and I feel the most likely month might be May.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM

My dealer claims an early 2015 release. And perhaps we can call the front grill "The Luis Suarez!"
Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM

I predict the 8th gen will be released in the 1st quarter of the 21st century.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dr_2010SV
I predict the 8th gen will be released in the 1st quarter of the 21st century.
^^^ Bold...
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by VIP_MAXIMA
Disappointing to you, but I would rather them get the **** right. Take your time Nissan. Create a masterpiece.
When I expressed my disappointment to my salesman, his response: "They wanted it to be perfect for YOU."
Old 08-07-2014, 03:30 PM

The new C&D also says no changes for the 2015 Maxima.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 08-07-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
The new C&D also says no changes for 2015 for the Maxima.
I guess that means the 8th gen will be labeled as a 2016 (which some of us had kind of guessed), but it may also mean the introduction may be later in 2015 than some had hoped. As long as they work out all of the kinks, I'm fine with the delay.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM

I guess that means the 8th gen will be labeled as a 2016 (which some of us had kind of guessed), but it may also mean the introduction may be later in 2015 than some had hoped. As long as they work out all of the kinks, I'm fine with the delay.
The 2015 Maxima will be known as a 'short run.' It will only be produced until around January of 2015. Nissan has done this before.

I still think the 8th gen arrives around May 2015 as the 2016 model year. New Maxima generations traditionally arrive between March and June of the year prior to the 'model year.'

Within three months, we should begin seeing photos of camouflaged 8th gens being road tested. This should be guaranteed, as everyone has a camera these days.

In late November or early December, Nissan will release a photo of some portion of the new Maxima, usually a front corner view.

In either late December or early January, the 8th gen will officially be introduced at one of the national auto shows.

Later in January, Nissan will begin building dozens of 8th gen Maximas for further testing. If everything goes well, full production should begin in Febreuay, March at the latest.

In March, I will spend four hours at the Atlanta Auto Show looking at nothing but the 8th gen Maxima.

By April, auto mags will be testing presale versions of the 8th gen Maxima. We will know a lot about this car before we can buy it.

But we won't be able to check out all the options on nissanusa until all the dealers have a supply on their lot and the official sale date has arrived. Probably in May.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 PM

^
Are you a car sales man or something?
Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by george__
^
Are you a car sales man or something?
I believe you will find that Light is a very insightful Maxima owner who has great knowledge about the history and workings of the car as well as Nissan overall. A little research will show what he states is consistently spot on. I, for one, enjoy/value his comments and contributions to the forum.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM

I believe you will find that Light is a very insightful Maxima owner who has great knowledge about the history and workings of the car as well as Nissan overall. A little research will show what he states is consistently spot on. I, for one, enjoy/value his comments and contributions to the forum.
Wow that is amazing!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 PM

Max2013 - Thanks for the very kind words. I wouldn't go as far as to use the word 'insightful.' I think the operative phrase might be 'very old geezer who has been driving for over 65 years.'

I also have owned nothing but Datsun/Nissan vehicles since the 1970s, have owned nothing but Maximas since 1984, and buy the first model year of each Maxima generation. Because of that 'first year' habit, I pay close attention to how Nissan announces/releases each new generation. They tend to do similar things each time.

MONTE 01&97 SE is a poster who tends to see things I am seeing and vice versa. He is thinking next June, while I think next May. Very close estimates.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM

What's this about mustang like interior and awd that's going around?. There should also be some spy photos out, that I cant seem to locate.

Last edited by Jam_Roc; 09-06-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
What's this about mustang like interior and awd that's going around?. There should also be a some spy photos out, that I cant seem to locate.

Jam_Roc - We are entering that three month window when there will be rumors regarding the 8th gen Maxima seeping out from NSA, the KGB, and even the old Gestapo SS. Be especially wary of those coming from Middle East sources (our Maxima is very popular there).

I feel the interior will be very close to that shown over a year ago in the Nissan concept 4 door sports sedan. I can't relate that to the Mustang, as I have not been in a Mustang for many years. I saw the AWD rumor twice, and both times it was in articles written by folks with Middle-East sounding names.

I don't expect to see an AWD 8th gen, although that may be a feature of a NISMO version not available at launch time.

CONTINUATION OF POST (I have to split my posts, because, if I take more than 4 1/2 minutes to compile my post, Maxima.org knocks me off and tosses my post into the garbage. This is especially prevalent between 3AM and 5AM, when I am usually on.)

As to the spy photos, we will be seeing 2016 Maximas under camouflage on the roads around either the Los Angeles area, the Phoenix area or the Nashville area beginning in late October. Nissan will release a 'corner shot' of one part of the 2016 Maxima soon after Thanksgiving, and officially introduce the 2016 Maxima at one of the mid-December to mid-January national auto shows.

As to arrival at dealers, I am guessing spring (April to June, with May most likely), While Monte 01&97 SE (very knowledgable in this area) is thinking late spring or early summer, like maybe in or near June.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-05-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Maxima Available Fall 2014