7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed sensitive volume and wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Speed sensitive volume and wipers?

I have this feature turned on in my Nav but I do not notice a change in either the volume or the wipers. For the wipers I read they have to be on the intermittent setting right? If so, does it matter which intermittent setting fast or slow?

Seem to think this is idiotic as you can adjust the intermittency with the know anyway.

As far as the volume, I set it to most sensitive in the Nav options but i notice no change.

Any tips?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 AM

The volume gets lower when you slow down and goes back up when you get back to speed. It's subtle, but it does it.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Mines set in the middle .
Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlackMax
The volume gets lower when you slow down and goes back up when you get back to speed. It's subtle, but it does it.
I guess it must be very subtle that I don't notice it. What a waste of a feature in my opinion.

So i guess it's the same for the wipers?

Last edited by 02nissmax; 05-04-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:51 PM

I notice the wipers. Mos of the change is from highway speed to slow traffic and back.
I'll have them about the slowest to 2 notches from the slowest setting, wiping every 4-5 seconds, then when I slow down, they go every 8-10 seconds.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
I notice the wipers. Mos of the change is from highway speed to slow traffic and back.
I'll have them about the slowest to 2 notches from the slowest setting, wiping every 4-5 seconds, then when I slow down, they go every 8-10 seconds.
Oh ok I'll try going on the highway and see if that really works. Nonetheless it's a stupid feature.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 02nissmax
Oh ok I'll try going on the highway and see if that really works. Nonetheless it's a stupid feature.
I'm sorry for you that you either can't hear or see the difference, I can see why if you're just focusing on yourself it might seem a 'stupid' feature in that case. But for many, if not most of maxima, and other luxury car owners, we think it's a pretty awesome feature. It isn't perfect, there are times I wish the volume changed more or less. But overall, it's probably one of my favorite of the unnecessary but fun new features they're putting in cars.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQQ
I'm sorry for you that you either can't hear or see the difference, I can see why if you're just focusing on yourself it might seem a 'stupid' feature in that case. But for many, if not most of maxima, and other luxury car owners, we think it's a pretty awesome feature. It isn't perfect, there are times I wish the volume changed more or less. But overall, it's probably one of my favorite of the unnecessary but fun new features they're putting in cars.
Susie, if you read more carefully you would've seen that I was referring to the wipers, not the radio. The radio feature based on speed is ok. A rain sensitive system FOR THE WIPERS would work tons better! Besides I'm entitled to my own opinion
Old 05-15-2014, 03:11 PM

I've never tested the speed sensitive wipers but the speed sensitive volume is VERY subtle. I like that however. Its noticeable after a while.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I've never tested the speed sensitive wipers but the speed sensitive volume is VERY subtle. I like that however. Its noticeable after a while.
I'm actually still trying to hear the subtlety. No luck yet.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM

I'm actually still trying to hear the subtlety. No luck yet.
Try this: Set the setting to 5 which I believe is the most sensitive. Put a CD or song from your AUX to an audible level then speed up to 50 or 60 then slow down gradually. You should be able to notice it then. It's not that you have to do this every time to prove the claim but this will help you to notice what to listen for. After a while though, it will really won't be noticeable and you will simply realize the volume lowered on its own. I will say that I wish that the speed sensitive volume was "slightly" more like that of the Malibu. It only has 3 settings but it's so smooth and that car is a step under ours.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:04 PM

Try this: Set the setting to 5 which I believe is the most sensitive. Put a CD or song from your AUX to an audible level then speed up to 50 or 60 then slow down gradually. You should be able to notice it then. It's not that you have to do this every time to prove the claim but this will help you to notice what to listen for. After a while though, it will really won't be noticeable and you will simply realize the volume lowered on its own. I will say that I wish that the speed sensitive volume was "slightly" more like that of the Malibu. It only has 3 settings but it's so smooth and that car is a step under ours.
Ok I'm gonna try that. But it only works with CD or Aux?? Not the radio?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 AM

Ok I'm gonna try that. But it only works with CD or Aux?? Not the radio?
It does work with the radio as well but I mentioned CD or AUX since the audio is clearer and it's more noticeable at least to me. When I left my office yesterday, I tried this and it worked perfectly but of course I know the level change by now.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 PM

It does work with the radio as well but I mentioned CD or AUX since the audio is clearer and it's more noticeable at least to me. When I left my office yesterday, I tried this and it worked perfectly but of course I know the level change by now.
ok cool, thanks.
STill haven't tried. it Been too busy not paying attention
Old 05-30-2014, 12:47 PM

ok cool, thanks.
STill haven't tried. it Been too busy not paying attention
LoL. I need to try these speed sensitive wipers. I looked in the settings and noticed that I had it on but when we had that massive rain Monday-Wednesday it didn't even work. Are the wipers supposed to come on themselves or do I turn them on and they monitor the speed and work accordingly?

I don't know why no one reads the manual. LL
Old 05-31-2014, 12:02 PM

LoL. I need to try these speed sensitive wipers. I looked in the settings and noticed that I had it on but when we had that massive rain Monday-Wednesday it didn't even work. Are the wipers supposed to come on themselves or do I turn them on and they monitor the speed and work accordingly?

I don't know why no one reads the manual. LL
The timing between wipes changes depending on your speed. The wife tested them for me using the stop watch on her iPhone, while I drove the other day.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
The timing between wipes changes depending on your speed. The wife tested them for me using the stop watch on her iPhone, while I drove the other day.
So if you need a stopwatch to tell the difference then we are talking about math and science here lol. I leave them on low, good enough for me.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 AM

So if you need a stopwatch to tell the difference then we are talking about math and science here lol. I leave them on low, good enough for me.
I'm not good at math so that won't work for me. LoL. For me I sometimes have to see or hear something in action to believe it works (like the speed sensitive volume).
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 PM

I'm not good at math so that won't work for me. LoL. For me I sometimes have to see or hear something in action to believe it works (like the speed sensitive volume).
I agree, I'm the same way...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM

Speed sensitive wipers: as I understand this feature, it will not increase the speed from the lower constant speed to the higher constant speed. Instead, it will work only on the intermittent wiper feature. So if you set the delay while stopped in a light rain and then drive highway speeds, the delay with decrease, meaning the wipers will activate sooner. This is not a day and night change, but a subtle increase in wiper activity (i.e., at speed, your delay will be less than it is when stopped or driving slowly).
As for the speed sensitive audio, this is also intentionally subtle. The idea is that the volume levels you experience at a stop or low speeds are supposed to sound the same at speed. It is not something you are supposed to notice, save for maybe noticing that you don't have to turn the volume up when you are on the highway and then down again when you hit a stop light.
So neither is supposed to be particularly noticeable. Play with your settings. I'd recommend turning the features off and see how that is for a few days, then turn them on and to the highest sensitivity. You should see the difference, subtle though it may be.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Doesn't not noticing it mean its working?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:18 PM

I really and truly hope that on the 8th Gen Maxima, rain-sensing wipers are standard. Even if the switch is turned to off, the moment rain occurs it should do its job!

As far as the volume, I hope they increase the setting from 1-5 to 1-10 so that it would be more noticeable!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM

I really and truly hope that on the 8th Gen Maxima, rain-sensing wipers are standard. Even if the switch is turned to off, the moment rain occurs it should do its job!

As far as the volume, I hope they increase the setting from 1-5 to 1-10 so that it would be more noticeable!
I don't have the rain sensing wipers on my Max, but I have been in cars with that option equipped. I feel that if you set it onto Off, it should be Off regardless. I dislike having them wipe the windshield for the lightest mist, and also the fact that I apply a hydrophobic coating onto the windshield after each wash, so rarely are my wipers on. If the automatic wipers are only on when set to the intermittent times, then leave it as it is.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
I don't have the rain sensing wipers on my Max, but I have been in cars with that option equipped. I feel that if you set it onto Off, it should be Off regardless. I dislike having them wipe the windshield for the lightest mist, and also the fact that I apply a hydrophobic coating onto the windshield after each wash, so rarely are my wipers on. If the automatic wipers are only on when set to the intermittent times, then leave it as it is.
I definitely notice the sound changing with speed, but the wipers? Don't notice a thing. Then again, not sure if it's using a sensor in the back of the mirror which is currently blocked somewhat by my BlackVue HD cam. I just turn them on and drive away in the rain.

Jimbo
Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Id love to see a 'car wash' setting for the wipers lol. But it knows youre not even going 1 mph.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
Doesn't not noticing it mean its working?
YES!!!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MAJ_Jimbo
I definitely notice the sound changing with speed, but the wipers? Don't notice a thing. Then again, not sure if it's using a sensor in the back of the mirror which is currently blocked somewhat by my BlackVue HD cam. I just turn them on and drive away in the rain. Jimbo
The speed sensitive wipers only work on intermittent. If you have a longer interval for misting or drizzle, the delay between wipes is longer (obviously). But as you go faster, the delay is shortened automatically, just the same as it works with the audio.