7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

refinish revive tan interior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 AM

refinish revive tan interior?

Hi Guys

My interior is really starting to get discolored I have tried use the regular leather clean and protector without good results. I was wondering if anyone had good instructions on how to bring them back to life? I heard of people using saddle soap and bagging the seats and leaving them in the sun, or things like using a steamer to get all the dirt out, or people even respraying but I have never done that before and looking for some guidance and instruction.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 PM

The dealers really don't take care of the leather getting baked on the parking lots. When I bought my brand new car the leather was dry like paper. I put that 'leather milk' conditioner almost every day for two weeks until the leather finally softened and started looking deep and rich. Then I used a different conditioner, much oilier, just for the surface. My seats look outstanding now, nissan can shoot interior ads in my car. I have tan leather too.

WHat is the problem with your seats? Dirty or leather breaking up? Dirty is not a problem, you can clean them with almost anything. But if you want the leather looking rich again you need a good oily conditioner. I will see the name of mine, it really makes them shine.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by assiduous
The dealers really don't take care of the leather getting baked on the parking lots. When I bought my brand new car the leather was dry like paper. I put that 'leather milk' conditioner almost every day for two weeks until the leather finally softened and started looking deep and rich. Then I used a different conditioner, much oilier, just for the surface. My seats look outstanding now, nissan can shoot interior ads in my car. I have tan leather too. WHat is the problem with your seats? Dirty or leather breaking up? Dirty is not a problem, you can clean them with almost anything. But if you want the leather looking rich again you need a good oily conditioner. I will see the name of mine, it really makes them shine.
Definitely shoot us the name of that first product! My seats look fine but this stuff sounds awesome for someone with OCD like me....
Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZDDUCK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZDDUCK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWIZO6I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWIZO6I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are more expensive than the walmart stuff but when you use them you will see they are better. Leather milk is non greasy and really softens the leather and makes it feel natural. Leather-Nova is oily and greasy and doesn't really soften the leather like the leather-milk.. nova kinda stays on the very top surface. BUT. It will make your leather LOOK like a million dollars. It never sinks in. Use very little! You will need to buff the excess.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 PM

I recommend the Leather Nova to the OP. Of course please clean your seats first if you have dirt on them. But if that doesn't make them look new nothing will.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 AM

The first thorough job to restoring your interior requires a solid cleaning to remove the dirt that is on the surface, cracks, and crevices of the leather. After you've done that, then you may begin the reconditioning process. Otherwise, the conditioner you are applying will simply "seal" in the dirt along with it, and that is wasted product with no real gain.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Wow! If you neglected your seats to the point shown in the beginning of that video you should be charged with car cruelty. Especially those nice seats on the maxima. I really like them.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM

I think the lense on my iphone was dirty when I took this pic and it looks foggy so its not the best picture, but you can see the passenger seat kind of shines. That's Nova.

By the way, has anybody developed wrinkles on the leather right where the wallet under your butt would be? It bothers me because the car is brand new but there is probably nothing I can do about that. Is that done by the wallet or the leather was not as tight there?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Wow! If you neglected your seats to the point shown in the beginning of that video you should be charged with car cruelty. Especially those nice seats on the maxima. I really like them.
Agreed. But it does make a good case test for people like us wanting to clean our interiors.

I think the lense on my iphone was dirty when I took this pic and it looks foggy so its not the best picture, but you can see the passenger seat kind of shines. That's Nova.

By the way, has anybody developed wrinkles on the leather right where the wallet under your butt would be? It bothers me because the car is brand new but there is probably nothing I can do about that. Is that done by the wallet or the leather was not as tight there?
That definitely looks like a crease from a wallet or something that has been pushed against the leather and cushion that has sat for a while. No pun intended. Very clean interior, by the way!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM

I will be honest guys I have neglected my interior, my seats are pretty dirty add kids in the back. My seats need major help, I am thinking I need some better cleaners, I am thinking if I can use my clothes steamer I have at home with wrap maybe. Any recommendations for a cleaner I can pickup locally? I read Murpheys oil soap, a couple drops of dish washing soap?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by carlosrg
I will be honest guys I have neglected my interior, my seats are pretty dirty add kids in the back. My seats need major help, I am thinking I need some better cleaners, I am thinking if I can use my clothes steamer I have at home with wrap maybe. Any recommendations for a cleaner I can pickup locally? I read Murpheys oil soap, a couple drops of dish washing soap?
My interior isn't showing at its best potential. I get so busy sometimes and when it's time to finally wash the car I focus on the outside and it become so time consuming that by the time I'm done I'm too exhausted to deal with the inside.

I would really take the advice of the guy in the Youtube video. Using simple products and techniques can make the interior gorgeous. I may have to consider getting a PC because that thing worked wonders. With the tan leather, it's imperative we maintain that.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:55 AM

So I spent a few hours working on my leather, I tried a few things but what worked was real simple. Hot sudsy soap with a brush, literately using a small brush and lathering up with suds on the leather and then using a clean towel to remove the dirt. I basically followed the video listed above. I repeated the process at least 2 times on the drivers seat 4 times and I was able to clean up the seats quiet a bit. I will tell you if you let the water dry the washup dirt will dry and taint the color, basically don't let the dirty water dry on the seats, and watch your arms if you get sweaty and you lean on your leather. I did use some Meguires leather and conditioner (it doesn't work that great as a cleaner) but it did add some conditioning to the leather, I will be looking at picking up some of the mother milk or similar to resoften things.

Now my main concern is that I had a dark spot on my seats and I believe that it from my black leather belt, so I have color transfer and I am not sure what to try next as I am afraid of damaging the leather but I will have to do something like redie that spot or something.

I did also wash my carpets, I did it by simply throwing them into the laundry machine with some Purex and laundry soap, and then hung dry the rests were excellent.

If anyone has ideas on how to remove the spots please chime in I will take a picture and show my concern.