7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Serpentine Belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Serpentine Belt replacement

I couldn't find a good description or even how hard it was to replace the serpentine belt on my 2009 Maxima (which was squealing on start up at 85k miles) so I thought I would post my own after doing the job myself.
The job was really pretty easy. It took me about 2 hours but I took my time and cleaned off all the pulleys. Here are the steps:

1) Remove the right front tire
2) Remove the plastic splash shield inside the r/f wheel well (4-5 plastic push in fasteners)
3) Locate the belt tensioner on the lower left as you look at the front of the engine (I'll try to add a photo of this shortly)
4) Use a socket wrench on the bolt head in the center of the belt tensioner to relieve the tension by pushing down (as if you were tightening the bolt)
5) With tension relieved, you can easily unthread the belt from the pulleys (paying attention to the routing)
6) Reinstall the new belt using the same method to compress the tensioner
7) Reinstall the splash shield and wheel and you're done

Hope this is helpful
Attached Thumbnails Serpentine Belt replacement-img_20141005_140240602.jpg  

Last edited by bobbyp; 10-13-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 PM

well done, to get 85k miles from the OEM belt is pretty impressive.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 PM

BAHAHAHA! I have 120K on mine. Not gonna replace it until that B breaks!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by CorollaULEV
BAHAHAHA! I have 120K on mine. Not gonna replace it until that B breaks!
Be careful what you wish for

As you know, these will never fail on a nice day, close to home and across the street from the local NAPA store.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

A couple more things

I forgot to mention that the dealer wanted $150 for the job. I paid $20 for the belt at Advance.

Oh... and the belt I took off was really not in bad shape - no cracks at all. It was really just the noise that was driving me crazy. I guess it was dry or glazed or something.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM

Or needed to be tightened 😆
Old 10-16-2014, 08:27 AM

I have the same problem with the squeaking on cold starts. Only lasts around 30 sec then goes away.. But I have 36K miles.. could it be something else? or should i replace the belt?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 AM

Great info Bobbyp, I try to do most of the maintenance on my cars myself but I've never actually changed the belt on my last 2 Maxima's.

Mainly because as luck would have it, both times I had it done in the past I was getting something else done which made the job necessary.

I'm now at 77k miles and once mine starts showing signs that its going south I'll refer back to this thread and do the deed. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:57 AM

I'm at 120k, no cracks or squeals.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by koreanthunda
Or needed to be tightened ��
How do you tighten the belt?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:42 PM

If you don't know how to tighten a belt then don't attempt the removal . Lol
Old 10-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyp
I couldn't find a good description or even how hard it was to replace the serpentine belt on my 2009 Maxima (which was squealing on start up at 85k miles) so I thought I would post my own after doing the job myself. The job was really pretty easy. It took me about 2 hours but I took my time and cleaned off all the pulleys. Here are the steps: 1) Remove the right front tire 2) Remove the plastic splash shield inside the r/f wheel well (4-5 plastic push in fasteners) 3) Locate the belt tensioner on the lower left as you look at the front of the engine (I'll try to add a photo of this shortly) 4) Use a socket wrench on the bolt head in the center of the belt tensioner to relieve the tension by pushing down (as if you were tightening the bolt) 5) With tension relieved, you can easily unthread the belt from the pulleys (paying attention to the routing) 6) Reinstall the new belt using the same method to compress the tensioner 7) Reinstall the splash shield and wheel and you're done Hope this is helpful
Great Job on the write up! I actually had to get a Belt Tool to get enough leverage to move my auto tensioner. Removing that was problematic until I found a 13mm offset wrench to get the top bolt off. Of course I had close to 260,000 miles on my 09 before my belt change so I thought I would replace the tensioner and both idler pulleys at the same time. Of note to me was that all were 13mm on the OEM tensioner center bolt and idler pulleys but the replacements were 17mm.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:04 AM

If you don't know how to tighten a belt then don't attempt the removal . Lol
Me thinks you need to get boned up on serpentine belts and tensioner assemblies...
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 PM

No maybe you do I can adjust any belt buddy i am a mechanic . Lol
Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 PM

No maybe you do I can adjust any belt buddy i am a mechanic . Lol
Really? A Mechanic? Awesome!!! Please explain to me (I'm not an auto mechanic) how to TIGHTEN a serpentine belt? It's a simple question...
Old 10-18-2014, 04:28 AM

You will need to use the tool as in tool that slides into the pulley with the two holes in it sort of looks like a curved coat hangar with curved ends on it to slightly tighten whilst the bolt is slightly loose and the belt is ok them measure the belt deflection which should be slightly minimal then use the car for about a day then check again and re tighten to specs (because belts always stretch ) especially after they warm up and get used the first time .
Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 AM

[QUOTE="koreanthunda;8993183"]You will need to use the tool as in tool that slides into the pulley with the two holes in it sort of looks like a curved coat hangar with curved ends on it to slightly tighten whilst the bolt is slightly loose and the belt is ok them measure the belt deflection which should be slightly minimal then use the car for about a day then check again and re tighten to specs (because belts always stretch ) especially after they warm up and get used the first time .also you can use a extension and use a 10mm to adjust the tension on the belt from up above or below on some models too . Have a Maximus day !!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:18 AM

You will need to use the tool as in tool that slides into the pulley with the two holes in it sort of looks like a curved coat hangar with curved ends on it to slightly tighten whilst the bolt is slightly loose and the belt is ok them measure the belt deflection which should be slightly minimal then use the car for about a day then check again and re tighten to specs (because belts always stretch ) especially after they warm up and get used the first time .
Are you sure you are talking about our 7th gens?
Old 10-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Our 7th gen cars have a spring loaded tensioner pulley. Theres really no way to tighten the belt. The tensioner does it automatically...
Old 09-30-2016, 11:51 AM

I couldn't find a good description or even how hard it was to replace the serpentine belt on my 2009 Maxima (which was squealing on start up at 85k miles) so I thought I would post my own after doing the job myself.
The job was really pretty easy. It took me about 2 hours but I took my time and cleaned off all the pulleys. Here are the steps:

2) Remove the plastic splash shield inside the r/f wheel well (4-5 plastic push in fasteners)
3) Locate the belt tensioner on the lower left as you look at the front of the engine (I'll try to add a photo of this shortly)
4) Use a socket wrench on the bolt head in the center of the belt tensioner to relieve the tension by pushing down (as if you were tightening the bolt)
5) With tension relieved, you can easily unthread the belt from the pulleys (paying attention to the routing)

Hope this is helpful
Just did this - my 12 has 75K and is squealing at start up.

Took me 47 minutes, although I wasn't smart enough to remember to clean the pulleys.

Couple of things I'd add:

If you don't have a pair of these, I'd buy them. Makes this job, changing oil, and any other time you have to touch those stupid rivets much easier.

http://www.harborfreight.com/push-pin-pliers-67400.html

If you stick an allen wrench (I'm sure there is a better tool to use) in the tensioner you can lock it in place. Makes it much easier to put the new belt on.

Take a picture of the old pulley with your phone before you take it off in case you forget the routing.

Biggest issue I had was pushing the new belt on (was super tight) until I locked the tensioner in place. I'll bet I spent 30 minutes trying to do it with one had.

Relatively easy job, and I'm just a mediocre mechanic.

THANKS for the write up, it was the ONLY one I could find on the googletubes. Very helpful, love the community here.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 PM

you can not tighten it! That's why its called a belt tensioner you might need a new one! As for the 30 second squeal use a old candle the wax stops it
Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM

I have a 102k and mine just started squealing at start up. Only last for 20sec. Thanks bobbyp and others for there input. I will replace mine tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:03 PM

thanks. couldn't find a youtube vid on this. on my next to do surgery list.

How many belts do I need while am down there? Just one (serpentine)?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:10 AM

We only have the one belt on our 7th gens. One autotensioning pulley and two idler pulleys.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:41 PM

Thank you. Which belt do I need from rock Auto?
Attached Thumbnails Serpentine Belt replacement-fbddd446-d0c9-49fd-8e2d-94c834c68dfa.png  
Old 12-12-2017, 05:20 AM

I would consider getting a Nissan belt either online or at the dealership. Part # is 11720-JA10B. I know I am not the only one who had endless problems with aftermarket belts squealing and chirping.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:07 AM

Thank you wild....... this info is perfect for my deciding.

I have 130k miles and the belt after inspection looks great. But I have some days off so surgery is in the makings.

Appreciate the prompt response
Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 PM

Rock Auto is the best!
Old 12-13-2017, 06:17 AM

Stealership cost is $70, eBay OEM is $30.

Almost time to talk about shocks and struts
Old 12-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Thank you all for contributing to his thread.

Took me tops...... 5 minutes after taking off wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Serpentine Belt replacement-a89dedcb-2a6f-47a6-bcd2-af49941e7d29.jpeg  

Last edited by Les7311; 12-17-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Much Appreciated

Hope this is helpful
Very helpful thanks Bobby P
Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 AM

Kind of cool how koreanthunda just got OWNED in the early days of this thread, lol! But by God...he's a MECHANIC!

I bought my 2014 SV with 58K miles on it, and being it was a 'Certified Pre-Owned' car, the dealer had explained to me that they'd changed all fluids, belts, etc as part of the program. This dealer speaks with forked tongue, as my old Cherokee great grandfather would have said...pretty much NOTHING they say (well, said...they are out of business now) do I believe. So, I've been thinking of replacing the belt now that I've got around 70K miles.
Excellent write up and pics...this is the sort of thing that makes car forums great.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)

Hi,
We replaced the the Serpentine Belt, because my maxima was squealing a little. When we did that, we ran into more squealing, LOUD SQUEALING.

Now, we are trying to figure out whats wrong, we made sure the belt was placed into all the grooves and all looks well, but as soon as you turn on the car, move the steering wheel or turn the AC on, it squeals. What could it be, the power steering pump or the pully?
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Carnevav
Hi,
We replaced the the Serpentine Belt, because my maxima was squealing a little. When we did that, we ran into more squealing, LOUD SQUEALING.

Now, we are trying to figure out whats wrong, we made sure the belt was placed into all the grooves and all looks well, but as soon as you turn on the car, move the steering wheel or turn the AC on, it squeals. What could it be, the power steering pump or the pully?
Most after market belts are a little long...Use the OEM nissan belt or in my case, I have had good luck with Dayco. But it can also be your tensioner (taking off the old compresses and stretches the tensioner) but I would just drop by Nissan and grab a new belt first.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by wildcat08
I would consider getting a Nissan belt either online or at the dealership. Part # is 11720-JA10B. I know I am not the only one who had endless problems with aftermarket belts squealing and chirping.
I agree go OEM, I changed 3 belts in a matter of a couple months and they chirped after a few weeks of replacement. I put a Nissan OEM and never had a chirp since!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:48 PM

Question

How often should the belt be replaced? I have only had my 2010 Max for about 6 weeks now and I don't know when it was last replaced.

I have inspected the belt and it does look a little worn and old but it is completely silent no squeaking. Definitely don't want it to break on me I had a horrible experience in a Subaru Forester where the belt broke and it destroyed the whole engine. Is it like that on the Maxima? Interference engine I think it is called?

And what is the best belt to use? I have seen a few different brands are they all the same? Seems to cost about $40?

It does not sound that hard to install but I don't know if I would be able to do it with the tools that I have.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Question

What color is the OEM belt? Mine is a light brown color not black like I have seen on every other vehicle.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vinar
How often should the belt be replaced? I have only had my 2010 Max for about 6 weeks now and I don't know when it was last replaced.

I have inspected the belt and it does look a little worn and old but it is completely silent no squeaking. Definitely don't want it to break on me I had a horrible experience in a Subaru Forester where the belt broke and it destroyed the whole engine. Is it like that on the Maxima? Interference engine I think it is called?

And what is the best belt to use? I have seen a few different brands are they all the same? Seems to cost about $40?

It does not sound that hard to install but I don't know if I would be able to do it with the tools that I have.
I replace my belts on my Maximas or any car I've owned for that matter every 60,000 miles. They could be good for a little longer but belts stretch and start to crack in places you can't see. I would rather replace it before they break and cause me to be stranded on a highway or busy intersection. So every 60k is good imo, These belts if they break shouldn't cause any major damage as a timing belt would which we don't have to worry about because we have timing chains so they " should " last the life of the car. I would stick with a genuine Nissan OEM belt. Some of the aftermarket ones or at least the ones I was using started chirping a month into replacement until I went OEM and never had the chirping issue again.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:20 PM

Question

Thanks for the responce MaximusN8!

Are there are other parts that should be replaced when swapping in a new belt?

And what tools are needed? I have never done it before might bring it to a shop not sure yet.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM

a half inch socket wrench with socket, a screw driver to open the "compartment" and a jack and tools to remove your tire. See the procedure at the top of this...pretty good write up!

Last edited by LtLeary; 09-16-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt replacement