7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 2009 Maxima SV Maintenance (89,800 miles)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Used 2009 Maxima SV Maintenance (89,800 miles)

Hi all! I recently bought a used Maxima. On carfax, the previous owner did manufacturer's recommended maintenances regularly and kept the car nice and clean. Well it is my first car ever, and I don't know how to maintain a car. I have been researching online to get some information, but I found so much variation. Some say I have to invest money and follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, but I found this very expensive. I am a broke college student . Some say I just have to change oil and replace things when broken and follow the state inspection (PA) regularly because Nissans are very reliable. I need help guys. How should I maintain my car efficiently? If I change fluids, tires, and components of my Maxima, how often do I do so specifically? I know that there is a lot of experts out there in this forum that could give me great advice! Thank you so much!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:36 AM

Make sure you have done a CVT fluid change/flush. Nissan recommends you do it every 50-60k miles but I do it about every 75k. The NS-2 fluid costs a pretty penny so doing it yourself isn't a bad idea. Other than that, basic maintenance and rust prevention are key. I live in the midwest and the road salt has taken tolls on some of my previous Maximas. Whenever I wash my car I make sure to scrub the fender lips.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:18 PM

If the alignment on your car is correct, you will get much better mileage from your tires. My Nissan dealer checks my alignment at no charge every time I drive into his service area. Also, if the alignment is correct, then frequent tire rotation is a waste of time. I switched from rotating every 7,500 miles to every 15,000 miles back in the 1980s, and have still always had very even tire wear.

There is a special oil to be used with this CVT. I plan to stick to that special tranny oil and change at 60,000 miles, unless my tech finds problems with the fluid. So far, he says it is still in very good condition.

Although Nissan specifies a very special oil for the engine, they also say any SAE approved (it will be so noted on the can) oil of proper viscosity is fine. The oil does not even have to be synthetic or a synthetic blend. It can be plain old dino oil, just as we used in vehicles many decades ago. I would use 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in summer. But either will do year around. I do change at 4,000 miles, but those using a synthetic blend often go 5,000, and full synthetic folks often go 7,000 miles between changes.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 10-28-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:12 AM

Congratulations on your first car. In order to not have it become your worse car, as lightonthehill and mjhuffer said, regular oil changes, (4-5k miles), and tire rotations will help make the car last for awhile. I changed my cvt fluid at 50k miles because it was dirty and IMO it needed it. You can buy the right fluid off ebay for about $85 dollars for 6 qts, then do the change (drain and fill) yourself.

My original tires went 75k miles and my OE brake pads are just starting to squeal at 78k miles. Since you're in college and on a budget I would recommend that you have a little discipline (financially) and save up some funds (a few hundred dollars) for any unexpected repairs you may need down the road.

Also, to gain some knowledge on the car you're doing the right thing by coming to this site. The people here have lots of knowledge and you can learn something from everyones car trouble situation.

Last edited by Maxgig; 10-29-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add sentence breaks
Old 10-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Yes as Maxgig said this is a great car if youre looking for something reliable for a long time to come. Ive had mine for 4 months now and love it. 41K on it almost and ive changed the cvt fluid already, this is crucial at every 40k. Since the change there is no more whining, it runs smoother, faster, and more fuel efficient. You wont have to worry about tires or brakes for a while, but with your mileage try to get a history on it and see if certain things have been changed like spark plugs and wires, and air filter. This site has been the most tremendous help to me and the knowledge here almost unfathomable. Cvt fluid can be found for about $60 for 6 quarts, thats what i paid 3 weeks ago and did it myself. Keep premium fuel in it however, and this max will run for a long time.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you all! So do I just used a tire jack to lift the car and refill the transmission fluid? Also when do I change the engine coolant and power steering fluid?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:32 PM

Ghozt did a nice write up on changing the cvt fluid. It's really simple. Remove one bolt and it just drains out.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 PM

First off, congratulations on your purchase. Its a fun beautiful looking car and i am sure you are going to love it. To keep things simple for you, just follow what the manual says. In terms of what gas to use, try using all 3 different types of gas 87, 89, 91 for a few tank fulls each grade and see for yourself what you like better than the other. As to oil, i use regular conventional oil and change it every 6k. But try out different types and see what you like the best. Many things on here are opinion based and not fact. Enjoy!