7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating tires on springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:19 AM

Rotating tires on springs?

So I got new tires on my Maxima. I have it lowered on Eibach's and the rear camber is a little off. My last tires burned out pretty fast ....So I was wondering if I rotated my tires more often would it increase the life of my tires?

Also i purchased the lifetime rotating on my tires so i thought it couldn't hurt lol
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by GNCMaxima
So I got new tires on my Maxima. I have it lowered on Eibach's and the rear camber is a little off. My last tires burned out pretty fast ....So I was wondering if I rotated my tires more often would it increase the life of my tires?

Also i purchased the lifetime rotating on my tires so i thought it couldn't hurt lol
Sounds like we just did the same thing, I just put new rubber on recently and got the unlimited rotations. I'm also lowered on eibachs....my plan is do every 3k when I get an oil change, if not definitely every other oil change
Old 12-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Rotating tires every 3k is overkill but if it isn't costing you much more there is nothing wrong with it, I do 5-7k or every 6-8 months and that's more than needed even on lowered autos. Absolutely it helps save rubber but an alignment after lowering or suspension work is more important. The quality and type of rubber has most to do with wear after mileage.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:36 PM

When you got the eibachs installed, did you also get the rear toe bolts and widen the hole they sit in so that the toe could get into spec when they did the alignment?
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by escblads

When you got the eibachs installed, did you also get the rear toe bolts and widen the hole they sit in so that the toe could get into spec when they did the alignment?
They didn't know how to do it so they broke my bolts...I do have the SPC arms installed and they did cut them for me, but when i told them about the toe they got confused and failed.

I want to do it myself but I need a DIY lol
Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's too bad about your bolts. I would try to get the alignment within spec to help minimize tire wear. There's a youtube video on how to go about elongating the opening for the toe bolt.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
That's too bad about your bolts. I would try to get the alignment within spec to help minimize tire wear. There's a youtube video on how to go about elongating the opening for the toe bolt.

Yeah I got an alignment right after my wheels got put on

Front is perfect Toe and camber
Rear Toe is good but camber is -1.4 Driver, -1.0 passenger :/
Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah I got an alignment right after my wheels got put on

Front is perfect Toe and camber
Rear Toe is good but camber is -1.4 Driver, -1.0 passenger :/
I always thought it was strange that different Maximas need different amounts of Hardware to get into spec. I am in spec with everything but camber without any modifications except for the eibachs of course.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 PM

I used this video when I installed mine, pretty helpful, but the factory bolt for the toe isn't that easy to get out from my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av9f6GOAf20
Old 12-13-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by rader023
I always thought it was strange that different Maximas need different amounts of Hardware to get into spec. I am in spec with everything but camber without any modifications except for the eibachs of course.
I wondered the same. I just did my alignment again (different shop) since installing the wheels and springs and i am within factory spec without any additional hardware.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:52 PM

Rotating tires does little to extend the life of the tires UNLESS the alignment or balance is not perfect, causing uneven wear.

I rotate every 15K miles, keep my tires carefully balanced and my car in exact alignment, and my tires wear very evenly. Ever the much-criticized Goodyear RS-As can give over 50K miles, wearing very evenly, if alignment and balance are correct.

The primary situation in which rotating the tires can help if alignment and balance are correct is in cases where there is a lot of turning, which tends to wear the outside edge of the front tires faster than the outside edge of the rear tires.

Frequent tire rotation gives the service department more frequent opportunities to foul up (break studs, strip lugs, use the wrong torsion, etc, etc).
Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Rotating tires does little to extend the life of the tires UNLESS the alignment or balance is not perfect, causing uneven wear.

I rotate every 15K miles, keep my tires carefully balanced and my car in exact alignment, and my tires wear very evenly. Ever the much-criticized Goodyear RS-As can give over 50K miles, wearing very evenly, if alignment and balance are correct.

The primary situation in which rotating the tires can help if alignment and balance are correct is in cases where there is a lot of turning, which tends to wear the outside edge of the front tires faster than the outside edge of the rear tires.

Frequent tire rotation gives the service department more frequent opportunities to foul up (break studs, strip lugs, use the wrong torsion, etc, etc).

That is based on your driving characteristics. Your comment regarding 50k miles on RSAs is evident you drive about as aggressively as a student driver on test day. I drive mainly highway at roughly 30,000 miles a year and rotate at roughly 7500 miles. There is a clear difference in the front to the rear tires even after 7500 miles. The front tires will wear sooner as they are expected to drive and turn the car. I could, like you, rotate at 15,000 miles but that would only increase the difference in wear between the front and the rear. Its pretty straight forward, the more frequent the rotations the more evenly the wear from front to rear.

I agree with your last statement and is why I have a floor jack and torque wrench. :-)
Old 12-15-2014, 04:28 PM

You are correct that 7500 miles will show a difference between front and rear. And the 15K miles I go between rotations shows an even greater difference. But, after I have gone 30K miles, each tire has spent the same time on the front as it has on the rear, and the total wear is the same (and even) on all tires.

For those who prefer that the all four tires have somewhat the same wear at any point in time, the shorter rotation interval will give them that. I did the shorter rotation interval from the late 1940s until the late 1980s, and would have continued that schedule, but I was working around 70 hours per week, was pressed for time, did not like sitting in the dealer's waiting room, had dealers who used air wrenches which scratched the chrome lugs, frequently overtorqued, sometimes broke studs or stripped lugs, and left grease on the carpet, seats and streering wheel.

My wife now uses the 15K rotation interval on her trucks, and it has worked for her.

EDIT - My wife will tell you I am a fairly aggressive driver who cruises well above the maximum speed limit when conditions are good and traffic is light. On back roads in Montana, west Texas, and even in the Dakotas, I have been known to drive at speeds that, if posted here, would get me banned. Fortunately, in over 65 years of driving and over 1 1/2 million miles, I have never had a chargeable accident. Yes, I was lucky a few times.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 12-15-2014 at 04:34 PM.