7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'13 Max coolant smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 AM

'13 Max coolant smell

Welp, I've seen this pop up a few times on the forums, but nothing recently. I have a coolant smell that seems to be getting progressively worse. It is from the engine bay, and specifically appears to be closer to the drivers side front. I've complained about it to my dealer twice now. Both times they've dismissed my complaint after doing a "visual" inspection.

I am NOT losing any coolant and have been checking it every few days. I can easily replicate it by opening the window at a drive through or my garage after driving a few miles.

The dealer admitted that they do in fact smell it and it does appear to be coolant they smell. Still no joy. My next step I suppose is heading to another dealer and specifically asking for a pressure test. Who knows.

Only real issue with my car that is bugging me so far!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 AM

My 2012 does the same thing. When I first got it I came across the coolant smell thread and got worried. 2 years later still have a slight coolant smell in the summer months but has not lost any coolant. Good luck sir.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Same with me, same dealership denial. 2009
Old 04-15-2015, 02:33 PM

If you're still under warranty I'd just say make sure they're documenting all of this so if something does transpire after you're out of warranty as a result you've at least got historical documentation on file showing that you'd reported it.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 AM

It's common with most 7th gens. I'd only worry if you're noticing a change in coolant level and/or you can see it leaking from the back of the headgasket (have to look up from under the car with a good light
Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ThinBlue82
It's common with most 7th gens. I'd only worry if you're noticing a change in coolant level and/or you can see it leaking from the back of the headgasket (have to look up from under the car with a good light
Good answer! I think it has something to do with the way the cooling system vents is why you get that smell sometimes also. But it is your car if you do not feel comfy inside take it to the dealer and have them take a look.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 AM

This may be related to the OP's issue. I have noticed a smell from my 2014 since new 18 months ago. I would not say it is a a coolant smell but more like burnt rubber. I especially notice it when I accelerate up to speed on the expressway. The smell gets blown into the cabin of the vehicle. After driving a while it is gone. I do not notice it driving at lower speeds around town. I also notice the smell coming from the engine compartment when the car is hot and parked in the garage.

I cannot find any leaks and the the coolant level is fine. The dealer performed a coolant pressure test and said that it tested fine. I have never had a car that smelled this way. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Last edited by Nopike; 04-16-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:02 AM

I have a 2012 SV/Sport
Been smelling the coolant since new after parking the car.
Along with the click,click,click of the manifold cooling off.
This engine runs HOT,did you ever notice the temperature gage is always at the half way point
All cars I have owned were always below the half way point.
When I pull in the garage I always pop the hood to help release some heat
Old 04-16-2015, 08:05 AM

OP here... I am not sure mine is rubber, it sure seems more like coolant. I do smell is more after driving on the highway. If I make my normal drive to work in the morning on the highway... 10 miles, I will almost always smell it once I am stopped at the office. Mine is a '13 and just ticked past 15K miles. The Service Advisor (without checking my mileage first) said it is not uncommon to get a coolant smell for the first 15K miles. LOL.

Who knows. It honestly is more of an annoyance than anything. Now that I have smelled it, I almost always pay more attention to it and almost "look for it" daily. I have mine documented (now 2X) at the dealer, so if something bad were to happen after my warranty is up, hopefully I have some recourse.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ThinBlue82
I agree with ThinBlue82. When you get a chance, get underneath the car and use a flashlight to look up at the engine near the exhaust manifolds. If there is a crusty green substance, your head gasket(s) are probably leaking slowly. We also have an 09 Murano - same engine - and it had leaking HG's at 25k when we bought it. Every.single.2009.Murano that we test drove smelled like coolant as well. Dealer replaced them under warranty.

If there's no dried up coolant and no change in level, then it's likely nothing to worry about.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:16 PM

I never smelled anything, nor saw any residue of coolant on my 2010 but at around 25K while getting a free oil change at my dealer the Mechanic notice the crusty green stuff claimed it was leaking coolant and hence Nissan replaced the head gasket. I suspect if I parked it in my garage all the time I would have noticed something. My money would be on a bad head gasket.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 PM

not mine

Originally Posted by The Observer
I have a 2012 SV/Sport
Been smelling the coolant since new after parking the car.
Along with the click,click,click of the manifold cooling off.
This engine runs HOT,did you ever notice the temperature gage is always at the half way point
All cars I have owned were always below the half way point.
When I pull in the garage I always pop the hood to help release some heat
I have a 2011 with just about 50k on it.
Never had a coolant smell on mine since new, Been thru a coolant change out a few months ago.
Never heard a click click of he engine cooling down.
Mine has always run half way on the coolant temp. since new.. always been half way
If I had to pop the hood to cool off the engine.. it would be at the dealers for either a fix or a trade in for a Murano..
Old 04-19-2015, 03:25 PM

Well... got the Max up in the air and checked the back of the head gaskets... no signs at all of a leak, so the mystery continues. I am not going to spend much more time on it before my next oil change... when I will take it in to another dealer I have used before and have them check it out for me. This will be my 3rd check and likely be good to have it documented, as my warranty will be awfully close to being done.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:32 PM

You may want to remove your intake manifold and look in between the cylinder banks. I recently had the head gaskets replaced on my 08 Altima 3.5 because of this issue. There was a very minor leak on the back of one of the head gaskets (right above the exhaust manifold). They almost didn't want to replace it was so small. However once they removed the intake manifold they noticed significant leaks from the head gaskets on the inside of the V.

This issue seems to be most common on the Muranos, but can also affect Altimas and Maximas. See the link below.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/6...kets-09-a.html

Last edited by 02pearlmax; 04-19-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Bottom line is, if you are smelling coolant at all, then it is hitting hot metal parts somewhere on the exterior of the engine and evaporating. My 2010 has leaked since new and i am sitting at 145,000mi....with both head gaskets leaking. The leak is extremely slow. I added a pint at around 70,000mi and again last week. I do have the green crusties at both HG's. I dont like my car leaking anything, but as long as it isnt leaking internally and it doesnt start leaking any faster, im not super concerned.