7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Lease Owner - Required Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lease Owner - Required Maintenance?

Hey all, first time lease owner here, i'm loving my 2014 Maxima fully loaded (premium package). I think I've read enough about leasing vehicles but for some reason I always get stumped into thinking if I don't opt for required maintenance they're gonna bang me at the end of the lease.

I've been diligent in getting my oil changes, prepurchased from dealer 2 years with rim protection, etc etc. I use the car to commute to work and I'm coming up on 15k miles in 1 year so far.

At 11k miles they asked me to do a 10k service, tire rotate, oil change, 70 million point inspection (some bs number) which felt like a super expensive oil change, ran me $100. Whatever ok the first 2 oil changes fall into that prepaid amount no big deal.

Now coming up on 15k, they're saying I need this 15k service which is basically the same amount as a monthly payment on my lease. The service tech started rattling off a list of stuff, all of which sounded standard to me with the exception of changing the air cabin filter.

I need someone to talk me off the ledge here, cuz there's no way I'm spending more than a lease payment for a routine service and I'm fully capable of changing a seat cooling filter and air cabin filter on my own.

I did some hw reading through my 'maintenance schedule' in the manual and it's as vague as can be. I feel like a lease owner should only be responsible for oil changes, am I wrong to think so?

Anyways, I appreciate any help here, thanks in advance and please go light on the 'if you sound like a sucker, you're probably a sucker" types of responses I'm just looking for confirmation.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 PM

I guess it is true if the sales department is having a slow month then they make up for it by charging extra in the maintenance department. I've had my 09 SV Sport almost 4 years and I have yet to pay for any maintenance service. I take it in every 5000 miles for an oil and filter change and they do all the rest of the inspection part. Tire rotation is included, and I get a detailed check off sheet signed by the tech on what they did and inspected. It only takes about a hour including the car wash. I change out my own air filters and change the cabin filter when needed.

I would not think the lease maintenance is anything different that someone owning their own. If they are recommending doing more than what is listed for your maintenance interval then question why it has to be done if it's not listed in the manual.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 AM

You can probably do most of that stuff yourselves and just keep all receipts for parts/supplies purchased as a record of repair
Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so I guess on my next visit when I'm apparently 'due for 15k' service my first question is - Is it Required or Recommended?

If it's required - what are they doing exactly and why does it need to be done?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty comfortable doing a lot of things on my own I just get hung up on deciding what's a sales pitch vs is there something that is required as a lease owner, this is the first time I've leased a car though.

I'll get a check list of to-do's but air cabin filter and seat cooling filter looks fairly straight forward.

If there is anything I'm missing from a leasing perspective in relation to 'required' maintenance, please send a holler or a reply here.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 PM

At 15k, only the filters would be needed.