7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Fog Light Wiring Harness Issues (Pic Included)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation Fog Light Wiring Harness Issues (Pic Included)

Hello All,

Okay, so I just bought a set of Spyder fog lights that came with a wiring harness along with poorly written, vague as hell instructions. I threw in some zXe bulbs as well.

1. I installed the fogs, rigged up the harness attaching the male connectors to the female connectors of the H11's and grounded the headlights to a metal part of the frame behind the grille, easy right?

2. I then popped the hood and ran the remaining cables up the engine bay and connected the white wire to the (+) battery term and grounded the black wire to the (-) battery term.

3. I bolted the little black relay box to the frame and connected the green wire to the DTRL fuse. As for the on/off switch, I haven't run it through the firewall yet because I am using it to test the lights for troubleshooting purposes.

Everything seems to be connected correctly (obviously not) only the fogs are not working. Any help on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated as I am not an automotive electrician and have limited experience on wiring.

Note: Fuses have been checked and are good.

Thanks!

-Eric-
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Wiring Harness Issues (Pic Included)-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 AM

The picture isn't that clear to me as I cannot see where all the wires go. On the bright side, the "relay box" looks like a regular 4pin relay, so I might be able to help.

I suggest making sure all your connections are connecting properly first, just wiggle everything and see if it lights up or not.
Second, if the wiggle test fails, take a look at my signature, I've written a how-to for independent fog lights using the stock harness. Might give you some clues.
Good Luck.

EDIT:
I took a look at my old post. It (probably) offered close to nothing for help.
Here are some tips instead:
For the relay Pin 85 and 86 are for the relay coil or the electromagnet that makes the switch work. Ensure that your switch is connected to either of these pins. As for where to get the power, using the DRL fuse should be okay, I believe it is powered all the time. The other pin will need to go to ground.
Next, Relay Pin 30 is common, and pin 87 the Normally Open contact. I tend to use pin 30 for 12v+ and 87 for wiring to the thing that needs switched power.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 08-17-2015 at 11:09 AM.