7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Fuel pump ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel pump ??

Yesterday while driving my 11 maxima I felt some jerky/hesitantion while maintaining 50mph I thought nothing of it maybe bumpy road. Later that day I was turning onto the highway and the car was unresponsive I could press the pedal to the floor and nothing it rolled to the side of the road where i turned it off ! Upon restarting it the car wouldn't maintain idle it ran like it was out of timing , still unresponsive to the pedal .. After having it stall about 5 times in this mode it finally would idle I then limped home if I pressed the pedal at all it when into the mode where it seem like it is out of timing .. No check engine lights or anylights on the dash at all .. I finally get it home .. Today at lunch I go out and it fires right up and idles great I can rev the engine .. I back up drive a few blocks and back home no problem I try it again and I press it a little harder and it goes back into this mode again and I finally get it to limp home again .. After stalling 5 times a light comes on the dash .. I take the back seat up and when I turn the car into the on position I can feel the pump kick on and prime up .. HELP !!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by salty318
Yesterday while driving my 11 maxima I felt some jerky/hesitantion while maintaining 50mph I thought nothing of it maybe bumpy road. Later that day I was turning onto the highway and the car was unresponsive I could press the pedal to the floor and nothing it rolled to the side of the road where i turned it off ! Upon restarting it the car wouldn't maintain idle it ran like it was out of timing , still unresponsive to the pedal .. After having it stall about 5 times in this mode it finally would idle I then limped home if I pressed the pedal at all it when into the mode where it seem like it is out of timing .. No check engine lights or anylights on the dash at all .. I finally get it home .. Today at lunch I go out and it fires right up and idles great I can rev the engine .. I back up drive a few blocks and back home no problem I try it again and I press it a little harder and it goes back into this mode again and I finally get it to limp home again .. After stalling 5 times a light comes on the dash .. I take the back seat up and when I turn the car into the on position I can feel the pump kick on and prime up .. HELP !!!!
For me, exact symptoms, it turned out to be the alternator. For others, the cvt. In park or neutral my engine ran fine and was responsive....put it in gear and it was a crap shoot. No warning lights or codes.

Unfortunately, others report those symptoms and it turned out to be a defective cvt.

The good news, checking the alternator is easy and quick. But it is a pain to replace as you must remove the AC compressor and evacuate/replace the refrigerants and dryer.

Let us know what you find.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LtLeary
For me, exact symptoms, it turned out to be the alternator. For others, the cvt. In park or neutral my engine ran fine and was responsive....put it in gear and it was a crap shoot. No warning lights or codes.

Unfortunately, others report those symptoms and it turned out to be a defective cvt.

The good news, checking the alternator is easy and quick. But it is a pain to replace as you must remove the AC compressor and evacuate/replace the refrigerants and dryer.

Let us know what you find.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear after I just bought a fuel pump off eBay ....
Old 09-28-2015, 02:40 PM

Mabe mass air flow also

You may wont to tape on the mass air flow sensor while it is acting up. if it goes back to normal replace the mass air flow.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 AM

fuel pumping

what you describe doesn't sound like fuel problems but more air flow matter
i would check your maf and make sure it is connected properly and/or clean it make sure nothing is blocking airflow if it was the fuel pump you wouldnt even hear it prime up among other things
take your code scanner and check it for codes mass air flow codes could be P0171 - P0174 . Fuel pump codes start at p0230 p0231 and so on i would do a pressure check for fuel before going out to buy a fuel pump

Last edited by monty0620; 09-29-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update ! I decided to clean the maf today when I got home , after doing so and resetting the ecu I'm back on the road .. I drove it a few miles at 80+ mph and then back home no problems at all !!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:14 PM

sweet

sweet manb glad to hear it worked out happy driving
Old 09-29-2015, 01:21 PM

update ! I decided to clean the maf today when i got home , after doing so and resetting the ecu i'm back on the road .. I drove it a few miles at 80+ mph and then back home no problems at all !!
fantastic!!