7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip Indicator and Brake Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:24 PM

Slip Indicator and Brake Warning Lights

Hi,

Lately I see these lights come on. The Slip indicator light comes on at various times while driving, it doesn't happen all the time. And when pressing gas the red circle Brake warning light comes on and goes off? The car has done 19,500 miles as of now and is running fine.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Low brake fluid level. With that few miles, the dealer may top it off for you. If not, DOT3 fluid is cheap at the parts store.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
Low brake fluid level. With that few miles, the dealer may top it off for you. If not, DOT3 fluid is cheap at the parts store.
NO NO NO!!!!, If your fluid is low that is an indicator that your brakes have worn down to the point that it needs to be changed. When you change your brake pads and compress the calipers the fluid will return to the "fill" line or close to it.

The ONLY time you add brake fluid is when you are changing fluid out with new fluid.

Regardless of how many miles it has been since your last brake change, adding fluid isn't the "fix". Check for leaks from your braking system if this is a constant problem and fix or replace what is needed. Or tell the dealer this and have them check the system for you since the car is so new.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:00 PM

WOW man, way to get all excited! Yes, you are correct you should inspect pads, friction surface, any leaks, but in the end sometimes the fluid is just low...
Old 11-03-2016, 09:42 AM

The fluid is low. That causes the lights to flash. With that few miles, there is almost no chance that the pads are worn. Based on my limited geography knowledge he doesn't get a lot of snow, so I would say there is a 1/10,000 chance he has hardware problems.
That leaves the fluid was t fully filled to start with, and a little bit of wear dropped the fluid level to the sensor.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:49 AM

I've had this happen twice (front brakes, then rear brakes) so one or all need to changed, mine @ 25k-30k needed rears and I just changed fronts the other day @ 38k so I'm going to guess it's rear brakes due to my experience.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:25 PM

Thank you guys, indeed the brake fluid was low, and this was because of the pads were worn, I changed the pads and fluid leveled up and the light gone.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Just add fluid. Fluid may have been a little low when you got the car and a little wear would make the lights come on. FYI I just changed the pads on my '09 SV at 101,000 miles and there was still plenty of pad left on the front, the rear a little more worn but still not needing to be changed. Had I checked the wear before I bought the pads I would have not changed them.

Edit. Just noticed the above post.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 PM

I am a little confused as to why the rear brakes wear at a greater rate then the fronts. Never had that on a car before, although this is the first automatic transmission, and obviously, first CVT I have ever owned.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:38 AM

I believe they bias brake force to the rears to allow the front wheels to steer more. FWD cars typically cant brake hard and steer. The Akebono brake pads I got bring more bias up front.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:07 PM

Older gen maximas had an anti dive feature built in, and I believe these do as well.
The rears will grab slightly before the front to stop the nose from plowing as much under heavy braking. May not exist anymore but that would explain the rears wearing faster.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Just add fluid. Fluid may have been a little low when you got the car and a little wear would make the lights come on. FYI I just changed the pads on my '09 SV at 101,000 miles and there was still plenty of pad left on the front, the rear a little more worn but still not needing to be changed. Had I checked the wear before I bought the pads I would have not changed them.

Edit. Just noticed the above post.
Appreciate your reply.