7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Maxima Burning Way To Much Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2014 Maxima Burning Way To Much Gas

Hello everyone; my name is Archie, I am new to this forum.

In regard to my 2014 Maxima, I first noticing how much this car burns gas when I purchased it from Car Max (big mistake) back in April 2016. In regard to fuel comsumption, I paid it no-never-mind because I knew that more horse power would mean more fuel consumption when I bought it. But I didn't know that a hefty price at the pump would be so excessive.

All my life I drove 4 cylinders hoopty (s) with wore-out engines, however they never consumed this much gas. Moreover and this time around, I bought this car for it's horse power and kick butt capabilities. In other words I got tired of being push around on the road as I quiet often did in the past.

Epiphany wise, during the 2016 Thanksgiving Break i realized that something was wrong with my car when I went home to Louisiana and drove my mom's 2012 Altima. I drove her car the entire week I was there. I filled it up November 19th, and when I left on Novermber 26 her gas gauge was just a hair pinch less-than-full. And trust me, I put some miles on her car zipping around town that week. Significantly, driving her Altima really heighten my awareness that some thing is really wrong with my Maxima.

Last night I filled my car up and drove 50 miles worth of errands. When I got home my max was just a hair pinch below 3/4 of a tank of gas. It has been doing this since i purchased it in April 2016 and is progressively getting worst. I am filling this car up every 3-4 days; however, if I do any highway driving change what i said to every 2 days.

Without any backlash and negativity, can someone point me in the right direction? Any words of wisdom will help before I take it in to the dealer and watch my wallet get nailed to the cross. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:32 PM

Need to do some calculations on actual fuel mileage. Divide mileage by fuel purchase at fill up. You can also reset your calculator on board and give us both numbers after your next tank. These things are not fuel misers I never get over 25.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:03 PM

1. Gas stations are now using winter grade gas, so do expect more gas consumption. You should be using 92 grade.

2. You didn't say how many miles on the car. Maybe time for a tune up....change oil, engine filter, tranny fluid flush or change, spark plugs.

3. Add seafoam to a full tank and on every other fill up for about a month to clean injectors. Also add to engine oil, but change oil within 100 to 150 miles after to get any gunk out.

4. Are tires well inflated?

Use you menu button under left side of steering wheel to see you average miles per gallon etc. I am getting about 23 mpg in winter, and 25 mpg during summer.

5. Don't pump gas when the tankers are dumping gas. Residue can and will clog your fuel system.

6. Take your big toe out of the gas tank. Not because it's more juiced than your old klunker, doesn't mean you have to floor it from light to light now. Drive normal for the most part, but not with Ms Daisy in the back seat.

Give us some more info as to miles on car, etc. keep us posted.

Last edited by Les7311; 12-26-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your Mom's Altima could very well be a 4 cylinder. When I went to the Nissan dealership this summer to look for used Maximas, (which they had none of), they tried to sell me on an Altima. Most were 4 cylinders until you get to the 3.5 engine. So to compare the Max, which is a 6 cylinder, there would be a difference in gas mileage. Plus you can't have "kick butt" and fuel economy at the same time. Well I guess that's not entirely true. My Corvette is designed to get great highway mileage if you stay out of KB mode and drive normally.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25 AM

If you are not using "92" octane fuel, your car is going to burn more fuel because your ecm, maf sensor and engine are set up to burn 92 octane fuel. The car is not a fuel economy type of vehicle, so running errands around town means that you are on and off the gas pedal, starting and stopping the engine which burns fuel. The Nissan Maxima is a sports car in a sedan body.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM

My 2012 with 60k miles on it knocks out 25 mpg routinely. Summer and winter. I try to only fuel up with name brand gas such as Exxon or Shell and premium. Plus, if you do most of your driving in town, that is not going to help either.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Administrator

You guys are speaking to dead air.....OP registered on this site, posted up, and hasn't been back since 12-21-2016.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boojack66
If you are not using "92" octane fuel, your car is going to burn more fuel because your ecm, maf sensor and engine are set up to burn 92 octane fuel. The car is not a fuel economy type of vehicle, so running errands around town means that you are on and off the gas pedal, starting and stopping the engine which burns fuel. The Nissan Maxima is a sports car in a sedan body.

I did not know that thank you