7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Moisture in lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM

Moisture in lights

Hey guys got a 2014 with 24k miles on it and I keep seeing moisture in the tail lights as well as the light strip on our side view mirrors. I had the passengers side replaced about a year and a half ago but I'm about to hit my 3 years and buy the car out so I don't want any issues. I'm at Nissan and they're telling me that since it's not doing it at this exact moment they can't do anything even though I have pictures from Saturday. (Posted below) Anyone else having this issue or have some advice? I know it's minor but it's then principle.
Attached Thumbnails Moisture in lights-photo494.jpg   Moisture in lights-photo882.jpg   Moisture in lights-photo714.jpg   Moisture in lights-photo804.jpg   Moisture in lights-photo512.jpg  

Moisture in lights-photo471.jpg   Moisture in lights-photo428.jpg  
Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 PM

Well then if its proof they need take the car down there when there is moisture in the lens, don't wait until the water evaporates out. Moisture on the inside of the light is caused by a compromised seal, so don't let them tell you it is a normal event.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:27 PM

I posted the TSB for this in an earlier thread, if you want to search for the original PDF.

Here is the text:

NISSAN TECHNICAL BULLETIN

Service Bulletin

Classification: EL03-030g
Reference: NTB03-074g
Date: November 27, 2013

APPLIED VEHIGLES: 2001-2014 Nissan, All Models
SERVICE INFORMATION
Occasionally customers may notice water vapor or fog in the exterior lamps. This is
generally NOT due to a defect.
The following information, illustrations, and flow chart are provided to help you in
determining if an incident for water/condensation in the lamps is normal or not.
All current exterior lamp assemblies are vented to the atmosphere (not sealed).
o This is necessary to allow for expansion and contraction of air from temperature
"variations" (warmer or colder) without damage to the lamp.
o Moisture in the air sometimes "travels" into and out of the lamp assembly through
these vents.
Certain environmental conditions may cause moisture to condense.
The fogging/cloudiness should disappear over time when the lamp is in a dry
environment.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Have had both of my side view mirrors replaced under warranty on by 2013.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2014 also, that I bought about 6 weeks ago with 5400 miles on it. I took it thru the car wash the day before yesterday, and saw that the passenger side headlight had the same moisture that you mention in it. I looked at the driver's side and it was fine. That was a little disconcerting for a car as new as this. Hope this is not a prediction of things to come. This is my 3rd Maxima, but the first that was manufactured in the US and not Japan. Not sure I buy the "vent" explanation either.