7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Hearing a Bang From Engine. PLZ HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Hearing a Bang From Engine. PLZ HELP!

I wanted to see if anyone has ran into this issue as i have no idea what to do. my 2013 maxima sv just went over 100K (103,000) and i started noticing this problem around 95k. I want to mention that i have only notice this happen when it is snowing outside/slippery conditions. Basically as i am accelerating and begin to slow down i all of a sudden feel like the transmission is lagging and i hear a loud bang. No engine light comes on and the car continues to work normal afterwards. i have noticed it on 5 different occasions now, all while it was snowing outside. I called the dealer and brought it in but they told me if there is no check engine light and i couldn't replicate the bang, there was nothing they could do.

It seems like it may be happening when it is slipping/the transmission is shifting incorrectly or it could be something unrelated to the transmission, i just am unsure. The only thing i can say for certain is there is a loud bang, unmistakable when it happens and it seems like the car is shifting funny when it happens.

If anyone has any idea what i should be looking for please help!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm sorry to hear about your vehicle's condition, I wish that I could be of more help. I am having an issue with my newly purchased '13 as well. The engine is definitely making a rod-knocking like sound every so often and when I brought it into the dealer they told me that it is normal, though I can definitely say with the utmost confidence that it is not normal at all. I am about to purchase an extended warranty because I am afraid of what it might be and will eventually go to a competent dealer/mechanic. I've changed the oil a couple of times with no success. BTW I have only 47K miles on the car. We shall see............
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Not heard of much of a driveline bang but knocking is a known TSB.
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...-problems.html
Old 04-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Bificus99
Not heard of much of a driveline bang but knocking is a known TSB.
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...-problems.html
Thank you for the info. Obviously SI Nissan didn't bother to look this up when they told me that the noise is "normal". I may be gullible but I'm not crazy. This noise is far from normal. They also told me that the play in the drivers side seat is normal for the whiplash protection.......Please!!